piston weight

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redgoldstein
piston weight

Post by redgoldstein »

how much is 14 grams worth in a 7000 rpm motor new piston weight a little more thanks
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: piston weight

Post by mag2555 »

You want a grams to hp conversion chart, or a grams to ET chart, let me know when you have such!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Go over to, "Yellowbullet", and ask Mark O'Neal, the guy with the fat orange and white cat as his avatar.

Mark should/will know!

He owned Probe Pistons.

pdq67
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

redgoldstein wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 am how much is 14 grams worth in a 7000 rpm motor new piston weight a little more thanks
Inertial piston forces are a function of rpm, stroke length, rod ratio, and piston mass.

The sensitivity of each variable (calculated independently based on a change increment of 10%) is approx as follows:

rpm = 20%
stroke = 13%
mass = 10%
rod = 3%

For a given engine all the above parameters must be considered.
Piston inertial forces may or may not translate directly into torque improvement since
the primary effect is on friction.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I think there is a formula (or table) for calculating maximum piston speed. As I recall this calculation takes stroke, piston weight and RPM into consideration and may be helpful to the OP in getting an answer to his question.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

engineguyBill wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 am I think there is a formula (or table) for calculating maximum piston speed. As I recall this calculation takes stroke, piston weight and RPM into consideration and may be helpful to the OP in getting an answer to his question.
Piston speed is simple math of stroke x RPM.

There is no "maximum" piston speed. Back in the bad old days, 4,000 feet-per-minute was considered the "fly-to-flinders" limit, just as 10,000 RPMs was given as a physical barrier, or 150 MPH as a maximum possible 1/4-mile terminal speed. Today, engines turning 18,000 rpm with a mean piston speed of 4,800 FPM and a peak speed over 7,536 FPM, are routine, as are 300 MPH 1/4-mile speeds.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Boss34ford

Post by Boss34ford »

Go to www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators There are formulas for just about any Car / Engine configuration.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

using rpm and stroke you calculate mean / average piston speed (Velocity)

using a more complex formula you can calculate max piston speed (Velocity)

remember that the piston slows down to zero velocity ATDC and ABDC

for the same stroke and RPM mean / average piston speed (Velocity) does not change with different rod stroke ratios, but max piston speed (Velocity) does.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

redgoldstein wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 am how much is 14 grams worth in a 7000 rpm motor new piston weight a little more thanks
I would say the answer is: "For all practical purposes, zero." I would be very surprised if someone could produce credible calculations in support of anything more than a few mousepower loss.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Piston speed is not a contributing variable.

The parameter that determines piston inertial force is piston acceleration derived from rpm, stroke and rod length.

Bill, I really like the term "mousepower". Very often performance parts really only produce mousepower.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

14 grams (0.030864717 lbs) - 12 diameter - acceleration rate of 900 RPM second.

note this for one piston as rotation mass not reciprocating.mass

Stan
ab-moi-14grams.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Like I said earlier, go over to, "Yellowbullet", and ask Mark O'Neal, the guy with the fat orange and white cat as his avatar.

Mark should/will know!

He owned Probe Pistons.

And if you do, please ask Mark to come over here so I can ask him something. Oh, just tell him that ol' pdq67 sent you asking, he knows me...

Thanks,

pdq67
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

If your asking how much power difference, there's not a dyno on the planet that could measure that small of performance differential.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Charliesauto wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 pm
If your asking how much power difference, there's not a dyno on the planet that could measure that small of performance differential.
Unless it was lightened in such a way that the ring lands flex, reducing ring seal. Hello power loss ;)
-Bob
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:07 pm
Charliesauto wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 pm
Unless it was lightened in such a way that the ring lands flex, reducing ring seal. Hello power loss ;)
Agree