Brad Penn Quality

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Brad Penn Quality

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Coloradoracer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am Say what you will, but I only run Amsoil in my junk. On my pickup, 2008 Sliverado 3500 HD with a duramax, it's the only oil I've ran that I actually recorded a fuel mileage improvement. I've ran Delo, Shell Rotella, and Mobile Delvac. With Amsoil I saw an average increase of fuel economy of about .5-2 mpg depending on how and where I drive. I run Dominator racing oil in my dragster and the bearings look like new. Just had the bottom end apart not to long ago for inspection. Can't even see any wear on the pistons, walls, or bearings.

Honestly though, I think if you use any quality oil you'll be fine. I know of guy running walmart oil in top dragster and top sportsman cars without issue.....

The oil helped with mileage even though YOU changed how you drive?

I'd expect that you changing how you drove had more impact than the oil itself.

I get more channels on my TV now because I bought a new TV. Not because I added a package to my directv. Lol

Same thing. Right?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Looks to me like all the Penngrade oils are now semi synthetic or full synthetic...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Coloradoracer wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am Say what you will, but I only run Amsoil in my junk. On my pickup, 2008 Sliverado 3500 HD with a duramax, it's the only oil I've ran that I actually recorded a fuel mileage improvement. I've ran Delo, Shell Rotella, and Mobile Delvac. With Amsoil I saw an average increase of fuel economy of about .5-2 mpg depending on how and where I drive. I run Dominator racing oil in my dragster and the bearings look like new. Just had the bottom end apart not to long ago for inspection. Can't even see any wear on the pistons, walls, or bearings.

Honestly though, I think if you use any quality oil you'll be fine. I know of guy running walmart oil in top dragster and top sportsman cars without issue.....

The oil helped with mileage even though YOU changed how you drive?

I'd expect that you changing how you drove had more impact than the oil itself.

I get more channels on my TV now because I bought a new TV. Not because I added a package to my directv. Lol

Same thing. Right?
No, you misunderstood my post. My mileage increased by .5-2 mpg depending on how I drive over the other oils that I've used. My driving habits didn't change. The mpg increase was there regardless. I keep mileage records on my vehicles because I use them for business as well as personal. Helps me track deductible expenses when tax time comes around. Fuel costs are one. I'll give you an example. The one and only time I ran shell rotella, just commuting back and forth to work my average fuel economy dropped by just over 1 mpg over the life of the oil change. I put Amsoil back in the next oil change and my fuel economy gained back the lost 1 mpg. I was pretty amazed myself but it is what it is. I'm not saying Amsoil is the best oil in the world, cure all, or anything else. I'm just stating the results I've had using it. As far as I'm concerned, I'll run no other oil in my vehicles, including my dragster, ever. My experience alone with it is enough to convince me to do so. And as an FYI, I put approx 25-30k miles on EACH of my vehicles a year, and I'm on pace with my newest one now to put on somewhere in the range of 40k this year alone. After a while, that .5-2 mpg really starts to add up.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Im a little annoyed about the semi synthetic 15w40. The old man ran brad penn, then I got him a case of Penngrade 15-40. The oil pressure is a little lower than I expected, but it definitely leaks a little bit now. Also, it doesn't specifically state that it has enough zinc for flat tappets anymore; not on the website or the bottle. I still recommend their transmission oil, however.

Im actually looking at Schaeffer oils now (mostly cuz theres a distributor a few minutes away). I never had an Issue with (Joe Gibbs) Driven oil either. In fact, Lake Speed Jr has always been great to deal with for both myself and the Engineers here.

Nathan
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

For those seeking a replacement brand, consider Lubrication Engineers". LE is good stuff.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

You should have good luck with Schaefer...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019