General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

1:1 holley throttle linkage set up

Post by steve cowan »

just ordered a couple of sets of holley linkage 1:1 primary -secondary setup
anyone use this sort of deal and what do you guys think.
application- 830 annular holley,850 demon,950 hp holley
i always square jet to a point and always run a powervalve in the secondary side as well.
dualplane and single plane intakes, i am thinking the 1:1 set up will feed the engine more consistant during street driving and possibly be more responsive,until i try i wont know and happy to report back if anyone is interested in results
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Robban 54

Re: 1:1 holley throttle linkage set up

Post by Robban 54 »

Very interested. Have it on my sbc 383.
Robban
Robban 54

Post by Robban 54 »

Raceläge_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

on the street it will make the throttle response over sensitive. I did all my NASCAR circle track 390 with 1:1. any other size carb caused tire hook up problems.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

You don't want 1:1 linkage on the street if the engine has very much power. You'll end up only being able to use a small part of the throttle travel. It is easy to see this if you have EFI with a 1:1 linkage throttle body. For some reason Holley puts 1:1 linkages on their throttle bodies even though they know better with the carbs. If you data log a throttle body during street driving you'll see that it rarely has more than about 25% throttle opening.

I have a throttle body on the 512 inch big block in my street car and a 35% throttle opening is 5000 rpm (100 mph) rolling down the freeway. A 1:1 linkage is kind of silly and somewhat unsafe on a street car.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Robban 54

Post by Robban 54 »

I like the trottel response.You must have a sensitive right foot.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

andyf wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am You don't want 1:1 linkage on the street if the engine has very much power. You'll end up only being able to use a small part of the throttle travel. It is easy to see this if you have EFI with a 1:1 linkage throttle body. For some reason Holley puts 1:1 linkages on their throttle bodies even though they know better with the carbs. If you data log a throttle body during street driving you'll see that it rarely has more than about 25% throttle opening.

I have a throttle body on the 512 inch big block in my street car and a 35% throttle opening is 5000 rpm (100 mph) rolling down the freeway. A 1:1 linkage is kind of silly and somewhat unsafe on a street car.
thanks for your input Andy,the linkage set up is different to Robban 54 has in the photo and holley is saying you can adjust secondary response,i am just thinking it could be a good and interesting experiment to try and the feedback is appriciated from people using or have used the 1:1 deal.
i see the holley XP series are using the 1:1
Robban 54 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:50 pm I like the trottel response.You must have a sensitive right foot.
do you race your car at the track and if so how do you find the throttle response off the startline,now i know could sound like a stupid comment but with a footbrake car with a small radial tyre can be a challenge even on a fair track prep,and yes like Andy says can be way to aggressive,my car weighs 3645 with me and a 255 radial so until i try it the more aggressive throttle might help or hinder the car either way
steve c
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Whether this thought is correct or not, common sense would seem to tell me there would be from off idle and all the way to WOT (W ide O pen T hrottle for anybody who may not know) a more "( EVEN )" distribution of the Fuel/Air mixture to all of the runners ESPECIALLY on a single plane intake WITH a carb. Comments please. Mark H. :?:
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 pm Whether this thought is correct or not, common sense would seem to tell me there would be from off idle and all the way to WOT (W ide O pen T hrottle for anybody who may not know) a more "( EVEN )" distribution of the Fuel/Air mixture to all of the runners ESPECIALLY on a single plane intake WITH a carb. Comments please. Mark H. :?:
Mark,
i agree with you 100% hence my thoughts on the idea,i respect that the plenum is a variable storm inside when the engine is operating and the runners are robbing each other for fuel and air and reversion pulses etc,it might also help if using staggered jetting,just a thought
steve c
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

andyf wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am You don't want 1:1 linkage on the street if the engine has very much power. You'll end up only being able to use a small part of the throttle travel. It is easy to see this if you have EFI with a 1:1 linkage throttle body. For some reason Holley puts 1:1 linkages on their throttle bodies even though they know better with the carbs. If you data log a throttle body during street driving you'll see that it rarely has more than about 25% throttle opening.

Perhaps the ideal would be 1:1 ratio with the cable hooked to a snail cam or other (highly) progressive linkage to tame the resulting over-active off-idle response.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Robban 54

Post by Robban 54 »

Just red light competition on the street.
The engine feels strong from idle and you have to feel the traction.
Automatic transmission. TH350.
You can change the shape of the curve on the trottel arm.
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

@steve cowan
I know this is an older thread… but how’d this work out?
ArizonaGuy

Post by ArizonaGuy »

Question for Steve and/or anyone who’s messed around with 1:1… do you need symmetrical transition slots? A lot of 4150s have smaller (shorter) slots in the back… does 1:1 work with those?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

ArizonaGuy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:06 am Question for Steve and/or anyone who’s messed around with 1:1… do you need symmetrical transition slots? A lot of 4150s have smaller (shorter) slots in the back… does 1:1 work with those?
IF that carb has 4 corner idle it will work ... two corner idle has driving issues.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I got rid of that old roller type linkage Holley used in the past on the old 830/850 models and swapped it over to what's used on all Holley's now. This way I can just change the little link on the side to make the carb 1 to 1. Worked out great.