rear power valve on HP holley should i run one ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: rear power valve on HP holley should i run one ?

Post by ClassAct »

MadBill wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am
ClassAct wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 am...I think the one above has that plastic extension where the Speedway Motors doesn’t have that, so maybe that’s why its a bit more...but 3x’s more it better come highly polished...
That looks like the vent whistle that most HP metering bodies include. Another cap is in the lower right of the pic.
Dammit Bill you are correct. A quick glance and I thought that plastic piece slipped over the power valve.

I’m still thinking about the 1:1 deal. What re your thoughts?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ClassAct wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am
ClassAct wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:22 am...I think the one above has that plastic extension where the Speedway Motors doesn’t have that, so maybe that’s why its a bit more...but 3x’s more it better come highly polished...
That looks like the vent whistle that most HP metering bodies include. Another cap is in the lower right of the pic.
Dammit Bill you are correct. A quick glance and I thought that plastic piece slipped over the power valve.

I have used the 1:1 linkage on street engines from 400-500 hp level, I have spent the last two years perfecting this for my application, transfer slot jetting, 1:1 linkage, powervalve tuning and the most critical in my opinion is PVRC.
In a drag race application no rear powervalve is fine but on a engine that drives on the street even with big converter and low rear gear the carb is always rich. I have used 1:1 on airgap duelplane intakes as well with staggered jetting.
I have proven to myself that transfer slot jet will affect WOT a/f ratio at the track if the jet area is changed significantly. People have told me with 1:1 linkage you will have to much throttle response etc lol
Depends how hard you push on the pedal I guess, I like clean sparkplugs so the entire fuel curve matters to me, I have spent days if not weeks drilling non adjustable PVRC and testing, it can be done. 2 years ago I never dreamed of drilling and taping a holley main body for transfer slot jets or moving the IFR by drilling and taping the metering block, I block of the drilled throttle plate holes with epoxy with good results, I believe fuel will be metered anywhere there is a low pressure area even with secondary closed?? If I richen idle mixture to 12.8:1 at the track and feel lazy at the end of the night I drop fuel pressure from 5.5 psi to 3 and drive home for 2 hrs on the hwy with a/f ratio of 16:1
60 mph 3200 rpm
5600 converter
4.1 rear gear
Towing a box trailer, am I scared, hell no its fun. Sorry for the rant but if I can do it and be confident enough to tell you what I do anyone can do it.
I read alot of stuff over on jmark audio and tuners fuel forum, extremely impressed with there knowledge.
Classact, try the linkage you will like it.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Robban 54

Post by Robban 54 »

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Robban 54 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:09 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53650
are you still using your setup,
what are your thoughts,thanks for the old link
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Robban 54

Post by Robban 54 »

Yes I still have it and I like it.
Its in a T-bucket SBC 383 street driven no powervalvs
Crusing on idelcirkuit god manners
Spinn the weels at will up to 100km/h
RR
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

ClassAct wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am

The vent whistle is just in the background. Look closely, the part in the lower right is also installed on that metering block with the horizontal slot facing the camera between the two jets.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Hah good stuff! I tried to research those pv caps awhile back after seeing a random pic of one.

Here are some other variants I've found, one I tracked down(think it was the black one held on by jets)but the place that makes them wouldn't sell it unless I bought an entire custom carb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

ClassAct wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:14 am..
I haven't tried 1:1. My initial concern would be re overly-sensitive response, however I expect your foot could adapt. Steve and Robban 54 have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this and I'd be guided by their advice.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.