Speed-Talk is running on www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Piston wrist pin length

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

LSP
Pro
Pro
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by LSP »

ptuomov wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 am I’m looking at Mahle 100mm Subaru pistons with 23mm diameter piston wrist pins. The bare piston weighs 406g. The wrist pin is about 57mm long. The gap between pin bosses (for the rod small end) is about 29.5mm. This leaves about 13.75mm (0.54”) of pin inside the piston per side when the pin is perfectly centered. Seems low, no? Must be thoroughly optimized. Welcome to the modern era.
What is the motor's intended use?
User avatar
ptuomov
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am
Location:

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by ptuomov »

LSP wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 am
ptuomov wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 am I’m looking at Mahle 100mm Subaru pistons with 23mm diameter piston wrist pins. The bare piston weighs 406g. The wrist pin is about 57mm long. The gap between pin bosses (for the rod small end) is about 29.5mm. This leaves about 13.75mm (0.54”) of pin inside the piston per side when the pin is perfectly centered. Seems low, no? Must be thoroughly optimized. Welcome to the modern era.
What is the motor's intended use?
Street car, 5.0L, 93 octane pump gas, twin turbo, 8000 rpm fuel cutoff, 78.9mm stroke, probably about 800 lbf-ft torque over a fairly broad power band.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
LSP
Pro
Pro
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by LSP »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am
LSP wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 am
ptuomov wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 am I’m looking at Mahle 100mm Subaru pistons with 23mm diameter piston wrist pins. The bare piston weighs 406g. The wrist pin is about 57mm long. The gap between pin bosses (for the rod small end) is about 29.5mm. This leaves about 13.75mm (0.54”) of pin inside the piston per side when the pin is perfectly centered. Seems low, no? Must be thoroughly optimized. Welcome to the modern era.
What is the motor's intended use?
Street car, 5.0L, 93 octane pump gas, twin turbo, 8000 rpm fuel cutoff, 78.9mm stroke, probably about 800 lbf-ft torque over a fairly broad power band.
Putting Subaru pistons in a V-8?
User avatar
ptuomov
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am
Location:

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by ptuomov »

LSP wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm
ptuomov wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am
LSP wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 am

What is the motor's intended use?
Street car, 5.0L, 93 octane pump gas, twin turbo, 8000 rpm fuel cutoff, 78.9mm stroke, probably about 800 lbf-ft torque over a fairly broad power band.
Putting Subaru pistons in a V-8?
They didn’t end up being Subaru pistons but custom pistons from another 100mm forging. The overlap between the pin and the boss is similarly short, and the pin walls are stupid thick.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
LSP
Pro
Pro
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by LSP »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm
LSP wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm
ptuomov wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am

Street car, 5.0L, 93 octane pump gas, twin turbo, 8000 rpm fuel cutoff, 78.9mm stroke, probably about 800 lbf-ft torque over a fairly broad power band.
Putting Subaru pistons in a V-8?
They didn’t end up being Subaru pistons but custom pistons from another 100mm forging. The overlap between the pin and the boss is similarly short, and the pin walls are stupid thick.
Can you show a pic of your piston from the bottom? And how thick is it in the center?
User avatar
ptuomov
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am
Location:

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by ptuomov »

Here:
5420845F-E4B0-4A3B-9E8D-9D8176012892.jpeg
10AC195F-4461-4955-A583-DC37F4320227.jpeg
AEC27DA5-ECC6-4C85-A85C-7FB93594F911.jpeg
05027747-8276-4F92-ABF8-249A9EB2BDFD.jpeg
369F4972-8D07-43C4-BEF7-7CAFFF685F11.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
LSP
Pro
Pro
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by LSP »

How thick is it in the center?
User avatar
ptuomov
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am
Location:

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by ptuomov »

LSP wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:02 pm How thick is it in the center?
I don’t have the numbers here on the ski slopes, but it’s really thick. We wanted both ring lands to be really tall, and that allowed the crown to be really thick even in the center. From memory, something like 10mm, but I may be misremembering that.

The pin is short but 5.5mm wall thickness and 24mm diameter.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
User avatar
ptuomov
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 2972
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am
Location:

Re: Piston wrist pin length

Post by ptuomov »

It’s not quite 10mm, the thinnest part of the crown is 6.7mm/0.264” which is still very thick.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Post Reply