Idea for pre lubing oil galleries

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Idea for pre lubing oil galleries

Post by swampbuggy »

I thought up this idea a while back and thought i would ask for opinions on how you folks thought it might perform. Application=S.B.C. , Block= Dart Iron Eagle (has multi. inputs for main oil feed) , oil system type=6 stage Dry Sump . So here is what i have been thinking, draw the oil out of the tank with a 12 volt pump that would work with warm oil, hose from the pressure side of the pump to a ball valve, then thru an in line tube style filter and finally into one of the main oil gallery input ports. So the procedure would be with preheated oil in the oil tank, run electric pump until some pressure is noticed, switch off elec. pump and close ball valve and then start the engine. :?: :?: Mark H.
user-30257

Re: Idea for pre lubing oil galleries

Post by user-30257 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:22 pm I thought up this idea a while back and thought i would ask for opinions on how you folks thought it might perform. Application=S.B.C. , Block= Dart Iron Eagle (has multi. inputs for main oil feed) , oil system type=6 stage Dry Sump . So here is what i have been thinking, draw the oil out of the tank with a 12 volt pump that would work with warm oil, hose from the pressure side of the pump to a ball valve, then thru an in line tube style filter and finally into one of the main oil gallery input ports. So the procedure would be with preheated oil in the oil tank, run electric pump until some pressure is noticed, switch off elec. pump and close ball valve and then start the engine. :?: :?: Mark H.
Why not spin the pump with a drill so you scavenge what's dumped into the pan.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Headguy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:56 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:22 pm I thought up this idea a while back and thought i would ask for opinions on how you folks thought it might perform. Application=S.B.C. , Block= Dart Iron Eagle (has multi. inputs for main oil feed) , oil system type=6 stage Dry Sump . So here is what i have been thinking, draw the oil out of the tank with a 12 volt pump that would work with warm oil, hose from the pressure side of the pump to a ball valve, then thru an in line tube style filter and finally into one of the main oil gallery input ports. So the procedure would be with preheated oil in the oil tank, run electric pump until some pressure is noticed, switch off elec. pump and close ball valve and then start the engine. :?: :?: Mark H.
Why not spin the pump with a drill so you scavenge what's dumped into the pan.
Thats all we do as well after the oil is warm use a 1/2 drill to spin the oil pump for a few minutes to get oil everywhere then fire up.
That will save extra plumbing that can be left open/closed after fire up to cause a problem [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

An accusump will do just that.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Why is there a need for pre lubing?
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Sounds like the long way around.

Spin the pump with a drill or speed handle and if the oil needs to be heated, use a tank heater.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Headguy...this engine will not be in a racecar. Limited street use. My idea is to make the process ("EASIER").
Belgian 1979...I have considered the accusump, but do not want to go that route.
Joe 90..."LOTS" of money going into this engine, so why not pre-heat and prelube ?
Blykins...Open the hood, remove belt, spin pump with whatever, put belt back on, close hood, get into car, start. This is the longer way around than my idea surely ??

Thanks for all the responses. Mark H.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Someone else who likes over thinking things just because of lots of money wasted?

Most "modern engines" you can't pre lube them (well you could but not worth the effort)because the pump is on the nose of the crank (same as LS?).
Normal practice in this part of the world is to fill the pump with assembly lube and then just fire it up.

It works every time.
CRS

Post by CRS »

What is wrong with the accusump design in you’re opinion?
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 am Someone else who likes over thinking things just because of lots of money wasted?

Most "modern engines" you can't pre lube them (well you could but not worth the effort)because the pump is on the nose of the crank (same as LS?).
Normal practice in this part of the world is to fill the pump with assembly lube and then just fire it up.

It works every time.
What about using something like a turbo timer, but using it in conjunction with warming the oil? Could it work?

That first pre-luber posted above looks like it would do what you want, Oldhead. Take a look.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

I have to agree with joe 90 - it's a solution in search of a problem.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 pm Headguy...this engine will not be in a racecar. Limited street use. My idea is to make the process ("EASIER").
Belgian 1979...I have considered the accusump, but do not want to go that route.
Joe 90..."LOTS" of money going into this engine, so why not pre-heat and prelube ?
Blykins...Open the hood, remove belt, spin pump with whatever, put belt back on, close hood, get into car, start. This is the longer way around than my idea surely ??

Thanks for all the responses. Mark H.
You make it sound so horrible.....LOL

Is this a weekend racecar or a daily driver? :lol:

As for the others, there's literally no excuse for not pre-oiling an engine before initial fire-up. There are several pressurized oilers out there for LS, Mod Ford, and late model Hemis. No way I'd take a chance on something stupid happening when it could have been avoided with an oiler on the stand.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

CRS wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:06 am What is wrong with the accusump design in you’re opinion?
Mine easily puts out 40 psi oil pressure to the engine while dead cold. It does so for quite some time. Not sure why this would be a possibility, but I guess he will know why.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

For those that just fire it and go, you are much braver than I.
Any time a galley port is available it can be pre-oiled.

My shop made version consists of a deep stainless pan I picked up somewhere, a chevy oil pump attached to a plate that sits on top of the pan.
Fittings for out to the engine. I run it with my drill using the same dist pump shaft I use on a chevy engine.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."