Speedmaster aluminum block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CCNovak

Re: Speedmaster aluminum block

Post by CCNovak »

Well, I wish I read all of these comments before I purchased a Speedmaster aluminum SBC.
I purchased what was supposed to be a “fully machined block”, yet I had to have it “decked” as the liners stuck out of the deck. Also, had to have it finished honed to fit my pistons. Those and cam bearings installed at shop got me $1200 over what I paid for the block. Now, final assembly is done, time to prime the oil system. 15 minutes later, there is no oil at the lifters! Called Speedmaster. They don’t answer the phone. (But they took my money). Many unanswered emails later, they want me to return the block. (On my dime). They won’t send a prepaid shipping label, nor will they discuss the $1200 I’ve invested into the block. They just said they would send me another one….
One person told me that they need to drill several holes in the back of the block. (There are no ports connecting lifter oil passages to the rest of the system). Don’t know just what to do. If I return the block, I’ve got no proof they have it, and I could be out the price of the block and the $1200 I’ve invested in it.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Needs more info on the lack of oiling to the lifters.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Like Dave said, we need more info. I have had issues that were due to lifters. I would take a welding rod or coat hanger and check every oil passage to make they are all drilled through. There are a number of ways to screw things up. The more detail you give the better help can be given. Sorry to hear about this.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

CCNovak wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:44 pm Well, I wish I read all of these comments before I purchased a Speedmaster aluminum SBC.
I purchased what was supposed to be a “fully machined block”, yet I had to have it “decked” as the liners stuck out of the deck. Also, had to have it finished honed to fit my pistons. Those and cam bearings installed at shop got me $1200 over what I paid for the block. Now, final assembly is done, time to prime the oil system. 15 minutes later, there is no oil at the lifters! Called Speedmaster. They don’t answer the phone. (But they took my money). Many unanswered emails later, they want me to return the block. (On my dime). They won’t send a prepaid shipping label, nor will they discuss the $1200 I’ve invested into the block. They just said they would send me another one….
One person told me that they need to drill several holes in the back of the block. (There are no ports connecting lifter oil passages to the rest of the system). Don’t know just what to do. If I return the block, I’ve got no proof they have it, and I could be out the price of the block and the $1200 I’ve invested in it.
Im not a proponent of junk but lets make sure we are discussing just that. I have 4 new blocks in my shop to build---all USA. But all have to be decked, all have to be bored and or honed and all have to be line honed. When u purchase them, you are told that u must do that to all them. Im not accepting the analogy that all American made is good and or better but it is American made. But if u gonna knock off shore, please do it correctly. Junk is junk I dont care where made. So lets just knock JUNK no matter where it is made. You do not want me to name junk that is in my shop right now that is made here. Oh by the way, I have 51 engines in here now. Do u know why I have 51 engines. Because we have people that do junk work also.
reed
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

CCNovak wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:44 pm Well, I wish I read all of these comments before I purchased a Speedmaster aluminum SBC.
Maybe just a missing gallery plug, otherwise drill it, oil passages should all be confirmed when cleaning the block, especially on aftermarket blocks with non standard passages.

If it's missing a casting bulge for a passage plumb that externally.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
71vette

Post by 71vette »

Growing up in my formidable years w/ only the money a teen kid could earn after school made me a sucker for a good deal. Couple years back I bought a new speed master top end kit second hand for $500. The seller was kinda off, but insisted he wished he could run it himself. The 1st Red flag was speed master was engraved upside down on the valve covers. After going thru the heads to "be sure" and clean up the bowls and short turns I went to install the heads. Push rods could not be installed. Not even close. I tried emailing and calling speedmaster, after finally getting someone on the phone they offered me a discount on another set of heads. I spent a few days machining the heads for the needed clearance. Same old speed master story, I spend more time and money in the long run to make them work than if I would've bought from a trusted brand.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

grant6395 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 pm This sbf block I have here looks the part, but I don't trust it. Aside from the shitty name and reputation, has anyone here put one into service? Trust me, I'm not a fan of it.. just inquiring.
Yes, in a magazine build. The guy writing the article brought it in. It was fine, in that I don't remember having any issues with it.

But ... just because you get something from Pro Comp that works once, doesn't mean it will get repeated.