We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Cold lash after 500 miles, yikes!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bishop540

Re: Cold lash after 500 miles, yikes!

Post by Bishop540 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:25 pm

prairiehotrodder wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 pm
i have the 1.8 scorpion race rockers on the intake valves. Last winter when the heads were off i ground a little metal out of the inside of the guideplate because those rockers move the pushrod closer to the stud. I'm using the AFR 335 heads.
Brian
Do you have "stock-like" guideplates or the adjustable kind, like the ones that came with my AFR heads when I bought them new? Mine had the adjustable guideplates.
Eric

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm

mine are adjust able with a little bolt in the middle. On non- adjustable ones i have cut them and welded them before.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com

Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 pm

I ended up using the AFR (made by Harland Sharp) 1.7/1.7 aluminum rockers. I had to grind some clearance on #1 and #8 intakes so it would clear my "stock style" valve covers but other than that they fit well. The sweep centered pretty good over the valve tip and I used the midlift or 90 degrees at half lift method. I used the taller studs on the intake only, from ARP, and now have plenty of thread. Gonna check the lash after a couple cruise nights and hope it is still the same. Thank you for the input on this issue. I really appreciate it!
Eric

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 am

I see this thread popped up again. Good thing since I lost it out of sight.

For giggles and since I have to recheck and retune my engine, I'll try the method Camking said (valve at max lift and then 360° further to set the valve). Will see if there is any difference.

As for the OP's problem. I have a shaft rockers system, so this is quite good at maintaining lash unless something is going bad. However when the engine was new I did see some slight changes of lash between doing the lash setting sessions. It stopped after some miles on the engine. Right now they stay pretty much where I put them. And I know my lifters were still good as I had them out 2 years ago when I had to do work on the intake.
Anyway, I've not seen my lash move as much as yours did, so I would not drive it, take the intake off and check your lifters.

Bishop540

Post by Bishop540 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:01 am

Belgian1979 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 am
I see this thread popped up again. Good thing since I lost it out of sight.

For giggles and since I have to recheck and retune my engine, I'll try the method Camking said (valve at max lift and then 360° further to set the valve). Will see if there is any difference.

As for the OP's problem. I have a shaft rockers system, so this is quite good at maintaining lash unless something is going bad. However when the engine was new I did see some slight changes of lash between doing the lash setting sessions. It stopped after some miles on the engine. Right now they stay pretty much where I put them. And I know my lifters were still good as I had them out 2 years ago when I had to do work on the intake.
Anyway, I've not seen my lash move as much as yours did, so I would not drive it, take the intake off and check your lifters.
It ended up being my PRW rockers. The trunnions started wearing out. I have since replaced them with the AFR's. I will still keep a close eye on them all.
Eric