cordless impact wrenches & drivers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

winterhoff

cordless impact wrenches & drivers

Post by winterhoff »

Hey Guys
Any recommendations on what you have had good luck with for lug nuts to smaller bolts . One for heavy work and one for lighter work
Thanks in advance for your input
Ron
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: cordless impact wrenches & drivers

Post by rfoll »

I have a Dewalt C820 1/2" drive with a 3/8" adapter on it. This is a well used tool that was given to me by a friend when he upgraded to 20v. It is short and light and the amount of power is surprising. The adapter allows sockets to be easily removed, the 1/2 driver has the typical lock pin that is difficult for tool changes. I haven't twisted off any 5/16" bolds yet, but I'm pretty sure it will break 1/4' bolts given a chance. The variable speed function works very well. If you already have batteries, the tool is available for about $75.
So much to do, so little time...
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The Milwaukee M18 high torque 1/2” impact is the best I’ve used for heavy use, it’s very good and rated at 700 lbs/ft, 1100lbs/ft breakaway torque.

I like the Milwaukee M18 3/8” compact impact for the lighter stuff, it has plenty of zip and power, but comfortable to use.

I own a Dewalt 20v compact impact driver. (1/4” hex shank) it’s surprisingly powerful with an adapter for sockets, and way better than a drill for driving screws.

The Snap-on stuff is good, I like the current 3/8” gun,(I’ve used it) but the price is brutal.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

Ryobi. They're amazing and cheap. I use my 1/4 and 1/2 everday for 7 plus years. Just recently had to buy new batteries. Ryobi has best prices on batteries too.
wfolarry
HotPass
HotPass

Post by wfolarry »

I think the Milwaukee is the best 1/2". I have a Snapon 1/2" & 3/8. The new 3/8 takes the same battery as the 1/2 now & seems to last forever. Gives that little impact more power. A friend has the Milwaukee so we did a test comparison of the two changing tires. The Milwaukee outlasted the Snapon & felt like it had more power. JMO.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver (brushless) with the red lithium battery. I use it for lots of heavy duty stuff even though its only the normal hex drive I have adapters to all sizes of sockets. Batteries last an unbelievable amount of use. Great warranty too.

The Milwaukee FUEL are the meanest drivers around, I don't have their impact cause I use air when I need that much torque, but I bet they are just as good.

Rick
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Milwaukee Fuel here too. I have a 3/8” gun, 3/8” ratchet, 3/8” drill and a hackzall, happy with all of them.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

Big and small Makita’s. The best cordless tool investment I’ve ever made. Used them for years already and couldn’t do without.
benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

when i get a little more financial, ill be going milwaukee brushless.

struggled to undo a balancer bolt on a kia diesel a few weeks ago, borrowed the shop next doors air gun which normally is the hero gun in the street - no dice.

another workshop customer of mine recently bought a milwaukee 3/4" drive cordless, they use it with a 1/2" step down adaptor and hasnt let them down since purchase. went and borrowed that, and the first hit on the trigger the bolt all but fell out. sold me.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I use Sears.
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

Milwaukee fuel is what I have, I have most all the m12 and m18 ratchets , impact guns, saw,blower, chainsaw will be next. About the only time I use air now is for blowing something off. I think they come with a 5 year warranty also
Mitch
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

Milwaukee fuel is what I have, I have most all the m12 and m18 ratchets , impact guns, saw,blower, chainsaw will be next. About the only time I use air now is for blowing something off. I think they come with a 5 year warranty also
Mitch
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

its early sorry for the double post :shock:
dustinm

Post by dustinm »

When I was a flat rate mechanic everyone used Snap-Ons and they work great, pricey though. I have a 3/8 lithium ion snapon that I would sell, its hardly used. I bought it 6 months before I went into an office 3 years ago. Now I hardly use it more of a dust collector. I should also sell my Epic toolbox too.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Anyone try a Harbor Freight? Seriously
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.