Fuel 101: Octane, SG, VP, Major Components, etc..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert
Fuel 101: Octane, SG, VP, Major Components, etc..

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

I've picked up some random tidbits here and there pertaining to understanding (and probably misunderstanding) fuel and I'm trying to do more of a deep dive and get a good foundational knowledge about Fuels including the major attributes we should be evaluating and why. (Yes I've tried to search out David Redszus posts).

Please jump in and correct / add where appropriate.

Specific Gravity: primarily an indicator of how fast a fuel will burn; lighter fuels burn faster
  • Good race fuels are usually lighter and therefore often burn faster, despite the popular misconception that higher octane fuels burn slower
  • Faster burning fuel will require less timing for max power (lower SG fuels can make older chamber designs burn faster, and modern chamber designs faster still/ fuel SG is a "hack" / control point by which you can increase the speed of combustion to get more VE & torque -if you appropriately retard timing to account for it)
  • Most pump gas ranges between an SG of 0.720 - 0.770
  • Specific Gravity can affect fuel metering in carbureted engines (unclear whether there are issues with port or direct injected engines)
Vapor Pressure: primarily an indicator of how stable a fuel / a fuel's octane content is under storage (the higher the vapor pressure the faster the fuel's oxygen content will degrade)
  • The rating system is based upon how much pressure will build up in a sealed container @ 100F
  • Butane is normally the primary fuel constituent/additive responsible for the vapor pressure (more butane blended in for winter grade gas)
  • Winter grades of gas, especially in cold climates, normally have higher vapor pressures (up to 12 PSI) to help with cold weather startup and idling
  • Summer grades of gas have lower vapor pressures in the 7.8-9 PSI range
  • Lower grades of gas generally have higher vapor pressures and are more volatile; 87 octane can see octane degradation after only 3 months; 93 octane is usually stable when well stored to 9 months; race gas 1-2 years in ideal storage situations

Rapid-fire questions that I have based upon some of the above:
1. Does fuel with a higher vapor pressure atomize better/faster than fuel with a lower vapor pressure or should we not conflate vapor pressure and atomization?

2. Fuel components' / octane enhancers' ability to "add energy" / "energy density": If I remember correctly, a discussion on octane boosters that actually increase power / "energy density" of fuel stated that Toulene was an example of an octane booster that increases a fuel's energy / makes more power, while ethanol fell in the opposite category as an octane-boosting additive that actually decreases the final fuel's energy capacity. -When I looked up the SG of Toulene, I expected to see a fairly low SG, expecting that the increase in energy was from the Toulene percentage causing the fuel to burn faster, but Toulene has a relatively high SG of 0.867 so I realize I'm thinking about this all wrong... -What is the indicator / metric that a fuel component will add vs. subtract energy from the final fuel blend?

3. Cooling Fuel: Does this actually make more power? If so, how?
Does chilled fuel just chill the incoming air charge and make more power via making denser air and allowing more ignition timing because the air fuel mixture and ultimate combustion temps are slightly lower?
Are there negative power effects from chilling fuel? -Does it make the fuel atomize worse? Make the fuel burn slower? (I just can't see chilling fuel to be anywhere near as beneficial to producing power as chilling the incoming air charge.)

4. Anyone know of a good website/ database containing common pump and race fuel RON, MON, SG, & Vapor Pressure numerical range targets? (otherwise how the heck is a normal person supposed to apply any of this?)

5. Does SG impact fuel metering in EFI engines? -Do you need to make any EFI changes when switching from a higher SG to a lower SG fuel?

What are the other major fuel attributes and items that should be understood and factored in?

Adam
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Fuel 101: Octane, SG, VP, Major Components, etc..

Post by speedtalk »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:27 pm What are the other major fuel attributes and items that should be understood and factored in?
In classes with rules limiting induction, I really just focused on two things - octane and oxygen.

I used this to check the oxygen level - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47021
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Specific Gravity: primarily an indicator of how fast a fuel will burn; lighter fuels burn faster
False. SpG has no relation to flame speed. Flame speed is a function of chamber turbulence and laminar flame speed. The differences in laminar flame speed are small and dependent on type of fuel and mixture; not Specific Gravity.
Good race fuels are usually lighter and therefore often burn faster,
False. See above.
despite the popular misconception that higher octane fuels burn slower
Octane has no contribution to flame speed, either faster or slower. It all depends on the composition of the fuel, not octane.
Faster burning fuel will require less timing for max power (lower SG fuels can make older chamber designs burn faster, and modern chamber designs faster still/ fuel SG is a "hack" / control point by which you can increase the speed of combustion to get more VE & torque -if you appropriately retard timing to account for it)
False. Fuel laminar flame speed is a minor contributor to total flame speed. Mixture ratio does contribute slightly to flame speed. A change in SpG could cause a change in mixture ratio however minor.
Most pump gas ranges between an SG of 0.720 - 0.770
True but incomplete. Since fuels are metered by volume, the fuel ratio is determined by the stoich value of the fuel and the SpG. Fuel stoich values can range from 14.2 to 15.2.
Specific Gravity can affect fuel metering in carbureted engines (unclear whether there are issues with port or direct injected engines)
True. Whenever fuel is metered by volume, SpG does affect mixture as does stoich value.
Vapor Pressure: primarily an indicator of how stable a fuel / a fuel's octane content is under storage (the higher the vapor pressure the faster the fuel's oxygen content will degrade)
Reid Vapor Pressure is an indication of the evaporative properties of a fuel. It has nothing to do with fuel oxygen nor octane.
The rating system is based upon how much pressure will build up in a sealed container @ 100F
Partially true. RVP is the rise in pressure of fuel vapor when the fuel temp is raised from 32F to 100F.
Butane is normally the primary fuel constituent/additive responsible for the vapor pressure (more butane blended in for winter grade gas)
Sometimes true. Butane is a gas at normal temperatures and therefore difficult to retain in solution in the fuel. Some high quality race fuels do use butane to raise RVP.
Winter grades of gas, especially in cold climates, normally have higher vapor pressures (up to 12 PSI) to help with cold weather startup and idling
True. The actual RVP value will depend on the state and month of the year.
Summer grades of gas have lower vapor pressures in the 7.8-9 PSI range
True.
Lower grades of gas generally have higher vapor pressures and are more volatile;
False. RVP is mandated by area and season, not by type of fuel.
87 octane can see octane degradation after only 3 months;
False. While an open fuel container can lose certain components due to evaporative losses, the light fractions are not the primary octane improvers.
93 octane is usually stable when well stored to 9 months;
False. 93 octane is no different than 87 octane.
race gas 1-2 years in ideal storage situations
True. Properly stored, fuel has a long shelf life. The military stores fuel for dozens of years.
Does fuel with a higher vapor pressure atomize better/faster than fuel with a lower vapor pressure or should we not conflate vapor pressure and atomization?
A fuel with a high RVP does indeed evaporate quickly; a property that helps with poor carburation but is subject to vapor lock.
Fuel components' / octane enhancers' ability to "add energy" / "energy density": If I remember correctly, a discussion on octane boosters that actually increase power / "energy density" of fuel stated that Toulene was an example of an octane booster that increases a fuel's energy / makes more power,
"Octane enhancers" do not add energy or energy density; they raise the fuels ability to resist detonation. Some fuel components such as Toluene, do add a small amount of fuel energy. By adding 15% Toluene to isooctane we will raise the fuel energy from 1270 BTU/lb air to 1274 BTU/lb air.
while ethanol fell in the opposite category as an octane-boosting additive that actually decreases the final fuel's energy capacity.
Ethanol does have a slightly higher specific energy than isooctane (1270 to 1278) but its main advantage is its evaporative cooling property which increases inlet air density.
-When I looked up the SG of Toulene, I expected to see a fairly low SG, expecting that the increase in energy was from the Toulene percentage causing the fuel to burn faster, but Toulene has a relatively high SG of 0.867 so I realize I'm thinking about this all wrong...
You were right, you are wrong. :)
-What is the indicator / metric that a fuel component will add vs. subtract energy from the final fuel blend?
The heat of combustion of a fuel determines its energy. The amount of fuel that can be burned is limited by the amount of available air. The heat of combustion divided by the stoich value gives us the BTU per lb of air, which we call specific energy.
Cooling Fuel: Does this actually make more power? If so, how?
Does chilled fuel just chill the incoming air charge and make more power via making denser air and allowing more ignition timing because the air fuel mixture and ultimate combustion temps are slightly lower?
Are there negative power effects from chilling fuel? -Does it make the fuel atomize worse? Make the fuel burn slower? (I just can't see chilling fuel to be anywhere near as beneficial to producing power as chilling the incoming air charge.)
Chilling fuel is a complete waste of time. It could be useful when using a very volatile fuel to avoid vapor lock.
Anyone know of a good website/ database containing common pump and race fuel RON, MON, SG, & Vapor Pressure numerical range targets? (otherwise how the heck is a normal person supposed to apply any of this?)
Take a course in Organic Chemistry.
Pump gas should be ignored for any competitive purpose. It is totally inconsistent and unpredictable.
VP Racing fuels has a master fuel database available on line that lists some useful fuel parameters. But not
how to select or use them.
Does SG impact fuel metering in EFI engines? -Do you need to make any EFI changes when switching from a higher SG to a lower SG fuel?
As long a fuel is metered by volume, SpG and the stoich value are necessary to control mixture properly.
Chasing SpG and stoich values becomes an hassle and time sink. Much better to find a good consistent fuel and stay with it. Chasing weather is hard enough.
What are the other major fuel attributes and items that should be understood and factored in?
There are only about 25 more fuel parameters that should be considered and have not been raised. Fuels and combustion remain a black art augmented by folklore and misinformation. Consider that every Formula One team has a team chemist and technical partnership with a major oil company. Yet, most racers simply seek cheaper fuel or gifted sponsorship instead of knowledge and technical insight.

Every serious racer should establish a connection with someone with a chemistry background, an analysis lab, or university chemistry dept. Unfortunately, many sanctioning bodies mandate spec fuels and in the process destroy any hope of increasing technical understanding of our very interesting and intellectual challenging sport.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Does this statement hold true if the increased octane claim comes from added ethanol?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

GARY C wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:42 pm
Does this statement hold true if the increased octane claim comes from added ethanol?
Pump gas is a soup consisting of from 400 to 500 different components, which change constantly.

Much will depend on the composition of our starting blend. Depending on which components are added and which are deleted,
we would have fuels with different characteristics. The fuel blenders task is to use an ever changing base stock and then add various components in various amounts in order to achieve required properties. It is really not possible to predict the behavior of a fuel with an aftermarket additive without knowing the exact composition of the bases stock.

It is much easier to say that if we add X amount of ethanol to a known blend A, we will expect a certain result. But if added to blend B...we just don't know; unless we know the details of blend B.

All fuel blending involves complicated analysis of base stock components and careful testing of the resultant blend. Even the additives that are used are not pure components. Without these measures, everything is merely a wild ass guess.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

David ,these two statements from Sunoco Race fuel directly contrast to your statements on pump gas life and specific gravity...
https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-ar ... ity-matter
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I think David has the knowledge and approach of a graduate school professor with many decades of applied knowledge as well.

In undergrad courses you are taught the basics and general approaches. If you raise your hand with "Yes, but"s you will be told to wait till higher level courses because otherwise the bulk of the material in the course will not be covered in the time allotted.

http://www.mecanica.ufrj.br/util/b2evol ... S_1980.pdf

The above is the full text of a journal article on laminar burning velocity which is related to flame speed. Note that density, lower case rho, is used as a variable but not specific gravity. These are topics that you could spend a lifetime of research and learning on. Unfortunately they don't always lend themselves to being condensed into a single sentence or paragraph.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:12 pm I think David has the knowledge and approach of a graduate school professor with many decades of applied knowledge as well.

In undergrad courses you are taught the basics and general approaches. If you raise your hand with "Yes, but"s you will be told to wait till higher level courses because otherwise the bulk of the material in the course will not be covered in the time allotted.

http://www.mecanica.ufrj.br/util/b2evol ... S_1980.pdf

The above is the full text of a journal article on laminar burning velocity which is related to flame speed. Note that density, lower case rho, is used as a variable but not specific gravity. These are topics that you could spend a lifetime of research and learning on. Unfortunately they don't always lend themselves to being condensed into a single sentence or paragraph.
David has excellent credentials and the experience....I'm thinking Sunoco knows the same things..the little I know about fuel came from what VP and Sunoco say...Now there's other info to look at......Nothing is as simple as it should be...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The technical paper referenced by Kevin is an excellent read but is focused on the flame speed of pre-mixed, continuous burner flames. It does indicate the complexity and difficulty involved in the task of researching combustion phenomena. The most comprehensive research available regarding fuels and the combustion of liquid fuels are NACA white papers, written prior and during WW2.

For those with about two years to kill, (like reading while in prison) the most comprehensive document regarding combustion is contained within NACA 1300. It is 268 intense pages of Excedrin requiring reading. But for those willing to examine it, the bragging rights obtained by dropping tidbits of obscure technical information are well worth it.

For those race fuel producers who actually research and blend their own products, there has been a constant conflict between the marketing/sales dept and the chemically competent technical staff. The fuel techs are often outraged by the misinformation produced by the sales dept.

The Sunoco advertising articles were produced by the sales staff, not the Sunoco fuel engineer. Extreme discretion is advised.

Even very experienced engine builders are often confused by the difference between increased flame speed and reduced ignition delay time. Laminar flame speed for various hydrocarbon fuels (at similar air/fuel ratios) are quite similar and are affected mainly by temperature and chamber turbulence. Surprisingly, the presence of water vapor will increase the flame speed of all fuels. Which may or may not make more power.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

David thanks for the detailed write up. I learned a lot.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Three things if you will bear with me.

1. I don't understand how TEL works to increase octane?

2. If you want more out of your fuel, then you might play with small amounts of Nitro additions! BUT very carefully!!

3. True story! I was pumping gas into my corn-popper filling it up, (getting ready for tomorrow's commute), one Sunday morning years ago and I swear, the dammed fumes coming off of my tank smelled just like cheap used, "paint thinner"!! I will say that it was that time of year when we were switching from one seasonal fuel to the next.. Ie., summer to winter blend or vice versa, I forget?

Thanks David for your insight into this subject!! I very much appreciate you taking the time to educate us. And the only stupid question is the one not asked!!

It's been too many years since I took, "Organic Chem."!! My four semesters of Chem. almost switched me over to CHE, but I stayed in ME!!

I figure the refineries have a base stock and as they purify it, they remove various other stuff that needs to be blended back into their fuels mixes to use them up as well as to sell them so they can make a profit! This is why fuel blends change all the time, it is a balancing act!!

And fwiw, I have been inside two, "Cat-Crackers"!!! As well as a, "Reformer", and a, "Claus Sulfur Burner"! Almost forgot about the, "Oil Heater", in Puerto Rico..

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 pm ...
For those with about two years to kill, (like reading while in prison) the most comprehensive document regarding combustion is contained within NACA 1300. It is 268 intense pages of Excedrin requiring reading. But for those willing to examine it, the bragging rights obtained by dropping tidbits of obscure technical information are well worth it.
For those people interested in reading this particular paper, I strongly suggest downloading it from here:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19930091007

Versus using the MAGiC archive in the U.K. If you have already downloaded from this mirror site I still think it would behoove you to download the former. They are different editions of the same paper but appear identical in content. The advantage of the former is that it was scanned using a type of OCR and so is a searchable PDF with Adobe Acrobat. That will save you a lot of time if you are looking for specific words.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

1. I don't understand how TEL works to increase octane?
At the temperatures found in internal combustion engines, (CH3CH2)4Pb decomposes completely
into lead and lead oxides as well as combustible, short-lived ethyl radicals. Lead and lead oxide
scavenge radical intermediates in combustion reactions. Engine knock is caused by a cool flame,
an oscillating low-temperature combustion reaction that occurs before the proper, hot ignition.
Lead quenches the pyrolysed radicals and thus kills the radical chain reaction that would sustain
a cool flame, preventing it from disturbing the smooth ignition of the hot flame front. Lead itself
is the reactive antiknock agent, and TEL serves as a gasoline-soluble lead carrier
2. If you want more out of your fuel, then you might play with small amounts of Nitro additions! BUT very carefully!!
A number of years ago, John Copeland, of Fox Valley Karting , using a dyno at Purdue University,
performed a series of performance tests using various amounts of various "power additives" in a go-kart engine.
His white papers had become the most useful documentation available at that time.

John's findings negated several popular misconceptions yet supported others as being valid.
Nitromethane did produce power improvements but only when substantial amounts (+30%) were
added to gasoline. But nitromethane is not very soluble in gasoline so a co-solvent (methanol) was
used with nitromethane. Nitropropane, on the other hand was soluble in gasoline but did not
produce any power improvement. John warned racers that for every engine there existed a
tuning window of fuel blend, mixture, and timing that must be optimized.
3. True story! I was pumping gas into my corn-popper filling it up, (getting ready for tomorrow's commute), one Sunday morning years ago and I swear, the dammed fumes coming off of my tank smelled just like cheap used, "paint thinner"!!

Good nose! :)
Paint thinners for lacquer, enamel, epoxies, do share several components also found in automotive fuels. i.e. toluene, xylene, ethanol, naptha, MEK, and others. Not all paint thinner solvents are suitable for automotive use since they can negatively impact fuel system polymers.
I figure the refineries have a base stock and as they purify it, they remove various other stuff that needs to be blended back into their fuels mixes to use them up as well as to sell them so they can make a profit! This is why fuel blends change all the time, it is a balancing act!!
Absolutely correct. Base stocks vary considerably based on crude oil source and type. Useful components that can be sold at higher prices are removed, and low value components are blended into fuels which are low margin but high volume products.

For those who might be interested, I have a paper that I wrote on race engine fuel tuning for SCCA and Formula SAE that I could email if anyone wants it. I also have John Copeland's fuel papers as well.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

So how does avgas and racegas stack up David?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

If the EPA has it's way, Avgas will go away!

There won't be any TEL containing fuels at airports.

In fact, I think 100LL is about it nowadays, but I may be wrong here?

pdq67