Ford goes pushrod?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tchapps88
Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by tchapps88 »

if the engine causes a few thousand chevy and dodge guys that feel they need a tick more grunt than the 6.0 or the 6.4 hemi can offer but have no desire to go diesel to switch to ford, then the engine did its job.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pm How about a cam over cam, hemi headed V-8 engine?

The top cam can operate the exhaust valves if this is possible?

pdq67
Ram5.7/ 6.4's have the cam up there anyway. not much need for 2 as the exhaust and intake sides can move independent of each other.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Steve.k
Expert
Expert
Post by Steve.k » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm

A ecoboost 7.3 would be unbelievable power.

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Post by Newold1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Exactly! That would be FUN power, Can you say Dodge Hemi Ram eater! =D>

At least until the 6.4 got turbos as well.
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

^^^^^ dream on .....
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Since we have no detailed info on the new engine it's all dreaming at this point.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Its no doubt that ford designed the engine with stepping up to boost in future. Probably throw it n/a to ring out for a year or two. Then add some boost to up the anti. The ecoboost tec proves what can be done. Id say you'll get baseline 7.3 then boosted. The diesel price is really putting the hurt on sales so they have to recurve plans.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

I agree, if it was to come with eco boost i would turf my diesel pretty quick!
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Road and Track has a good write up about the motor.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/c ... ils-specs/

I like the way the did the raised runner intake port. Should work a lot better than the LS configuration. They ought to make a 5.3L version for the F-150 and other Ford SUV's. The whole overhead cam thing looks too complicated and expensive.
Joe Facciano
echosixmike

Post by echosixmike »

Unless you're buying F450-F750, this engine isn't for you. It's plain to me that none of you are actually in commercial truck fleet use or maintenance. Power isn't important, as long as it's adequate. More is worse, since idiot wheel holders behave stupidly and you get broken transmissions and drive shafts, as well as just general increased wear, which means increased costs. Miles per dollar and initial cost, those are the critical numbers, along with uptime(reliability/maintenance).

When I say emissions, I mean the diesel crap that's complex and might as well be voodoo, since it constantly fails and derates engines and causes large service and towing costs, as well as problems with delivery failure and missed deadlines and just headaches. When you're dealing with post 2011 diesel emissions, whenever there's an emissions problem, the ECM invariable derates the engine to 5-10mph limp mode. And now you need a service tech to reset it, if possible, or it needs to be towed to a dealer. So now you're out a truck for hours or days, if not weeks, and a $300+ service bill, bare minimum, plus wages, lost time, missed deliveries and so forth. For something that's supposedly stupid simple and mature technology, a simple truck. That's been made complex, for trivial reasons.

We've been buying the 6.8L V10's in F550's. Generally been decent, but not looking forward to midlife issues. I was looking at Dodge 450/550 vehicles, but this may keep us with the Fords. S/F....Ken M
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I think what's really going on here is that Ford's stock has been going down for the past 5 years, from around $15 a share from 2014 to $8.42 now. So I'm guessing they are just trying to improve profits by making cheaper engines. I'm guessing the overhead cam engines are being considered too expensive and now we're going to be seeing a shift toward cheaper pushrod engines. If this is the plan, then we should see more pushrod engines coming in the future from Ford.
Joe Facciano
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Anybody on here care to lay down some numbers for the rest of us here.

I for one would like to know the numbers for how many F150's, F250's, F450's, F550's are sold in a year?

I understand the logic expressed here for a high torque, lower rpm and decent gas mileage are major factors that entered into the design of this new pushrod 7.3 engine for commercial and fleet uses especially in the F450 and F550.

However I don't know the numbers above but I suspect the F250 sales far outstrip the numbers of F450, F550 combined by a huge difference that the Ford engineer said drove the final design of the engine in his Road and Track interview. I am also thinking that the F250 sales have big numbers purchased by just private owners and not commercial or fleet usage.

If this was the driver behind the 7.3 engine then why not show and release those high torque, lower rpm numbers and expected mileage when they released the engine to the public??
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

The heck with why ...Just simple thoughts say given a certain bore size and stroke would say 900 n/a with it as is. Wouldn't need much for it either, follow the basic lines of Compression and Rpm and Don't hinder flowing air. For guys with the forced induction (itch) as well as n/a, you've now got some CID which ford has been behind on for the newer generation of engines. Big BORE!!!!
Again , *Availability will be the thing for the basic hard parts over the counter.... Looking for a wrecked truck with a 7.3 will be rare and costly $$$$.oo - $$,$$$.oo.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 pm Anybody on here care to lay down some numbers for the rest of us here.

I for one would like to know the numbers for how many F150's, F250's, F450's, F550's are sold in a year?

I understand the logic expressed here for a high torque, lower rpm and decent gas mileage are major factors that entered into the design of this new pushrod 7.3 engine for commercial and fleet uses especially in the F450 and F550.

However I don't know the numbers above but I suspect the F250 sales far outstrip the numbers of F450, F550 combined by a huge difference that the Ford engineer said drove the final design of the engine in his Road and Track interview. I am also thinking that the F250 sales have big numbers purchased by just private owners and not commercial or fleet usage.

If this was the driver behind the 7.3 engine then why not show and release those high torque, lower rpm numbers and expected mileage when they released the engine to the public??
Yes, I think the F250 is the target. many of which haul nothing but a driver...Certainly an alternative to the $8000 Diesel option..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Steve.k wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm
echosixmike wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm Current(-11/Tier 4) diesel emissions equipment makes that otherwise reliable technology garbage for an extremely competitive commercial truck market, hence the return to gas engines in the medium duty field. The lower the initial price point, the better they can sell to short time focused and desperate commercial truck business. With California outright banning older trucks and with high demand for reliable older trucks in more practical states, the usual decrepit, castoff jalopies aren't an option for the entry level commercial trucking firms.

The big market here is going to be the independent contractors for Amazon etc. S/F...Ken M
On that thought couldn't they or wouldn't it be more cost effective to add a small belt driven blower to current 6.2? Or does that add a host of other issues?They could nearly double tq and wouldn't the forced induction help on emissions side?
I read somewhere that they are running the vehicle at stoich almost 100% of the time. You're not going to do that with forced induction in a heavy constant load application.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

echosixmike wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 pm Unless you're buying F450-F750, this engine isn't for you. It's plain to me that none of you are actually in commercial truck fleet use or maintenance.
THANK YOU for the sane post!

This is NOT a brodozer or even an F150 engine - this is a heavy duty gasoline engine that THE FLEETS HAVE BEEN REQUESTING. This is going into medium duty trucks and fleet F350s/F250s, where the 6.8 and 5.4 were King because they were cheaper to buy into and cheaper to maintain than the Powerstrokes. I can count the number of 6.7 fleet vans, work trucks, tow trucks, etc. around here on no hands, they're all gasoline.

There's a reason why so many Isuzu trucks had gas Chevy 6 liters in them. The fleets wanted it!