General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by Newold1 »

Thanks for the link Kieth!
It's even more simple than I imagined! Supports a great truism - KISS! Looks like a nice cylinder head to give the Ford Posey a hammer to beat on the LSX Posey! Also might end up a nice crate engine for the Ford Racing parts programs.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Truckedup wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:19 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Hardly. The same guys would be winning regardless, the bikes still back in, they still twitch, they still wheelie. It helps that last 1%, but it takes skill to get there.

It always cracked me up when people complained about rules. The same people would be winning regardless.
We have a different opinion obviously.....
Facts. :lol:

If Top Fuel drivers went to an electronic clutch, would that mean they're no longer skilled? It would still be operating the same way as a mechanically adjusted clutch...

Instead of wheelie control riders use to drag the rear brake. To control engine braking, they would slip the clutch on deceleration.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the same people are at the front as always have been. That stuff will NEVER turn an also-ran into a winner.

Anyway, sorry guys. Too many living in the past here...
-Bob
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Bob

Really appreciate you knowledge, views and opinions but as many here know, we are talking about the evolution of a OHV pushrod engine for TRUCKS! I for one can understand this was not a choice Ford made for a new technological engine wonder. Ford needed a simple V8 big inch torquer and they needed a quick simple design that would not require massive engineering and expense to bring it into existence.
I believe they put on the table exactly that a TRUCK engine, simple in form and function and it satisfies a need in what is probably all the Big There's largest PROFIT centers - Truck sales! It's not a great racing genesis birth and guess what, it's not suppossed to be! Still a great business model " Find a need and fill it"
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Right, back on topic. I’m excited either way. There is a lot
of cool things happening with engines with each generation that is unveiled. I’m sure it’ll be a leap forward in some ways, even while trying to maximize profits.
-Bob
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

peejay wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 am
Mark O'Neal wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 am I thought I read that this is a interim motor that they'll use until they finish whatever new motor they're working on.

Or something like that.
Given the expense of developing a new engine, it wouldn't make economic sense to make a clean-sheet "interim" engine.

My recollection is that it is a motor they already had. As for Ford making sense....the stock closed at 8.89 today for a reason.
96blackgt54

Post by 96blackgt54 »

Ive scored a full view engine pic. Picture referes to vacuum connections and such, but whats noticeably is the sparkplugs located on the exhaust side between exhaust header pipes just like a pushrod engine. Plug wires draped over the valve covers connecting to coilpacks that reside on the intake side much like an LS engine. Injector boss locations appear to be in the head and i can confirm 100% no injector locations within the intake. Also their is a front water pump that resembles a pushrod engine.

Whats interesting are the valve covers. Very narrow, very short....not like pushrod. Im still speculating freevalve!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

hoffman900 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 pm
Truckedup wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:19 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Facts. :lol:

If Top Fuel drivers went to an electronic clutch, would that mean they're no longer skilled? It would still be operating the same way as a mechanically adjusted clutch...

Instead of wheelie control riders use to drag the rear brake. To control engine braking, they would slip the clutch on deceleration.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the same people are at the front as always have been. That stuff will NEVER turn an also-ran into a winner.

Anyway, sorry guys. Too many living in the past here...
No... not living in the past but enjoying racing in minimal rules classes not dominated by high tech...Racing push rod junk with no ready made parts and living on the edge of reliability at 1.7 hp/cubic inch...
So don't go all arrogant on non tech types because without this type racing,retired electricians like me would have no chance to compete in any type of racing ....
Back on topic, how come the DOHC Ford, Nissan and Toyota V8 truck engine can't do a better job as a truck engine than the LS in my GM truck?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Wow! Can you say Ford's new LS variant iron block truck V-8 pushrod engine!!

Actually I am a bit underwelmed at Ford's special 7.3L truck engine. Looks almost like the guys involved in the design had a 6.0l GM LS truck engine on the stand for design direction and pointers!

I realized they wanted a simple truck V-8 but this almost borders on intellectual property theft! I can't see Ford's future in not being able to come up with something a little better! Lee Iacocca said it best "Lead, follow, or get out of the way'! and boy Ford seems to be to much following here! :roll:
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm Wow! Can you say Ford's new LS variant iron block truck V-8 pushrod engine!!
GM doesn't own a patent on pushrod engines. They've been around for way more than a century. If your opinion is based upon its similar architecture to the LS; skirted block, inline valves...then you'll probably want to do some light reading on the FE engine or the Y-block and that's just staying in the Ford family. There are always going to be similarities between engines. It doesn't mean the engineers have no imagination or education.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Sorry Gerry, you Ford lovers are all pretty much alike, you couldn't see a copy if it bit you on the nose!

Ford has fielded some great winning engines over the years and this ain't one of them! JMHO
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

World's first 7.3 liter LS?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Im interested to know the weight and external LxWxH dimensions of this engine. Does anyone know?
Craig.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

This thread subject should be renamed "Ford goes LS" ? ! :lol: