Winner Of The Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Winner Of The Race Engine Challenge

Post by CamKing »

Find that kinda weird, that they would allow valve rotation in an "inline" class?!?
[/quote]

They only had 2 classes. Splayed, and Inline. Since the C3 is not splayed, and all the valves are parallel, it went in the inline class.
Pretty sure that's how they got it in NASCAR in the 90's.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

exhaustgases wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 pm sorry but I think all these competitions are exclusivly for the wealthy well equipped outfits, and bragging rights. For us ones at the bottom of the food chain we would never have a chance, and not because lack of ability but lack of $. Sorry again.
That's completely wrong. I was there for 3 days of the competition, and these competitors represent the average engine builders, that make up the majority of this business. These guys all had budgets to work with. I would say that the most expensive engine there, is the one that won, and Randy almost beat it with a 1992 SB Ford.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

This competition was not filled with the wealthy and most well equipped, but with some of the most passionate and hard working engine builders. That, many times, can overcome, or at least give the wealthy and well equipped a good run for their money. I was very impressed with the zeal and character of the participants at the Race Engine Challenge. My hat is off to all who participated .
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

a fairer contest would be to use modified stock cylinder heads to show the potential of the engine as produced.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 am
CGT wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 am

They measured the compression ratio to be a tenth to high on one side so, I got tossed.
Not near responsible for the 70 some points difference between the two engines.

It sure would be nice to have a "seasoned" tech inspector there for each operation in order to get the correct calculations because I really think it got messed-up.
Oh, well.
How did they check it? Did they go by published data on some components? Or was everything actually checked?
A cc amount of near 2.5cc's got taken into consideration twice because the piston was .012" above the deck at TDC ... when that amount should have been removed from the swept volume only once.
.100" down from TDC is only .088" down from the DECK so the down-fill divider in the formula was bad data.

It's over ... it is what it is. I will improve it and be back next year with a vengeance.
Can someone post the formula for calculating the CR that was used. For how I do it (CR) the down volume from deck is only used to come up with if the volume is greater or less that a cylinder (Bore) of that height "X" that down volume. So what height is used does not matter as long as the dome if there is one is covered.

Stan
Last edited by Stan Weiss on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

pamotorman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am a fairer contest would be to use modified stock cylinder heads to show the potential of the engine as produced.
Why?
This class is supposed to represent a "top of the line", street/strip engine, that an engine builder would build for a customer.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
E.R. Racing

Post by E.R. Racing »

CamKing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am
exhaustgases wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 pm sorry but I think all these competitions are exclusivly for the wealthy well equipped outfits, and bragging rights. For us ones at the bottom of the food chain we would never have a chance, and not because lack of ability but lack of $. Sorry again.
That's completely wrong. I was there for 3 days of the competition, and these competitors represent the average engine builders, that make up the majority of this business. These guys all had budgets to work with. I would say that the most expensive engine there, is the one that won, and Randy almost beat it with a 1992 SB Ford.
I'm not so sure about that. I saw some pretty pricey parts on some of the engines there. A lot of our stuff was used.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

E.R. Racing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am I'm not so sure about that. I saw some pretty pricey parts on some of the engines there. A lot of our stuff was used.
Nothing you wouldn't see on a good street/strip engine.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
E.R. Racing

Post by E.R. Racing »

CamKing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:35 am
E.R. Racing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am I'm not so sure about that. I saw some pretty pricey parts on some of the engines there. A lot of our stuff was used.
Nothing you wouldn't see on a good street/strip engine.
Exactly.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

did they use the dead space area between the top of the deck and the top ring in the calculations since the piston went above the block.
gowest

Post by gowest »

[/size]
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 am
gowest wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 am I guess i have missed something along the way. I thought Randy finished second in the canted/hemi class but this thread is talking about inline. Did he have an entry in each class ? If so what engine type did he enter ?
Congrats on the effort Randy !
The C3 Ford "Yates" head has the valves STRAIGHT with NO cant at all but twisted,
similar to a 409 Chevy with a combustion chamber.
Thank you for the explanation Randy.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Walter you won that deal no doubt about it. Im glad you are a gentleman and accept the ruling! Rules are rules. We all know the .1 in comp if it was there had little or no bearing on the point spread. Its a tecnacality thats all. This happens all the time in motorsports and we learn to adapt. We know you'll be back next year ready to go. Its all good!! :D
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Sorry for the raw deal, Randy.

Very nice piece you built.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I’m sorry Walter didn’t win. There were rules every one has to follow them period. When one team gets even the slightest advantage and they let it slide then the competition validity goes out the window. (Trust me)

I’ve got nothing against Randy and I respect him doing the right thing. It just is what it is.

I competed in emc it is not cheap, nether is racing, and it is hard for low buck teams to compete but not impossible, Ask joe carrol. Also there are well financed teams that left disappointed. So money may not be the end all but it makes it easier.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm
I’m sorry Walter didn’t win. There were rules every one has to follow them period. When one team gets even the slightest advantage and they let it slide then the competition validity goes out the window. (Trust me)

Also there are well financed teams that left disappointed. So money may not be the end all but, it makes it easier.
YEP ... happens all the time.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.