roller cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

68426GTS

roller cams

Post by 68426GTS »

How much more power will a roller cam make over a good flat tappet and why thank you
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Roller Cams

Post by speedtalk »

99% of the time a roller is going to make more power. How much depends on your application, but I'd say at least 5%. If your heads work good at higher lifts, you'll get plenty of extra HP. No matter what, you're going to get extra Torque. If fact that can be a problem if your car has hook problems.

Why is a roller better? Ignoring friction, it's more area under the curve.

Higher lift - This gives more airflow.
Less seat duration - This makes the engine think it's got more compression.

A flat tappet just can't get the same area under the curve with the same seat timing.
68426GTS

ROLLER CAM

Post by 68426GTS »

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLAY
Shaun Tiede

Roller cams

Post by Shaun Tiede »

The Solid Roller doesn't have much more of a peak rate than a solid flat tappet. The solid flat tappet on the other hand has quite a bit higher peak rate than a Hyd or Hyd Roller. The solid roller does however, have a considerably longer peak rate than a solid flat tappet. The actual diameter of a solid flat tappet is the main thing when determining how long the peak rate of a flat tappet cam can be held for. This is the primary reason that .875 tappets are installed in place of .842's in chevy blocks for NASCAR. I prefer the .904's myself. As a case in point for the Roller cam:the cam that made us famous in the dirt and practically everywhere else we have a following is the 288/296. It exists in solid and roller form. Both are identical at .050, but the roller is much bigger at.200. In a 350 Chevy, there is over 60HP difference in the same motor.

On another subject, THe solid flat tappet is hands down the best bang for the buck in oval track and drag racing. It is in my opinion (based on much experience) the king of bang for the buck for the street as far as camshafts go. I always tell people: if you do what the rest of the people do, you won't be any better. I like roller cams, but I think running one in place of a solid flat tappet is a waste of time and money if you are not going to run one that is designed to take advantage of the roller lifter surface area's ability in allowing a cam to be designed with high lift area in mind. For instance: .325-.350 lobe lift solid rollers and the same lobe lift solid flat tappets.