Toyota Recall High Engine Oil Consumption

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dhidaka
Toyota Recall High Engine Oil Consumption

Post by dhidaka »

Toyota had a recall on 2008 RAV4 engines because of high oil consumption. (Other years/models also included) The recall fix was to replace defective pistons. The pistons were defective because the oil drain holes behind the oil rings were too small and clogged up with engine varnish. Therefore, updated pistons. My sister was not notified of the recall and missed the deadline date by 10 days. Now, she is stuck with an oil burner or pay the dealership $3500. Question: Does anyone have any experience with an oil additive (Rislone, etc) to unclog the varnish so the oil holes can work sufficiently? Meanwhile, the more my sister drives, the worse her problem gets.
peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: Toyota Recall High Engine Oil Consumption

Post by peejay »

Do a Run-Rite, or if you don't feel like doing that, hold the engine at a fast idle (2000-2500 rpm) and spray a couple cans of the most VOC-nasty carb cleaner you can get your hands on down its gullet. NAPA brand is good but if you know of better, use that instead. If you do it right you just get the engine to bog down as you are spraying. Then give it a good hammering on the road. It should knock and ping and smoke the first couple times you get on it. This is proof that you did it right.

Then change the oil, filling the crankcase with ATF instead of motor oil, and change it and the filter after 500-1000mi. If it still burns oil, use ATF to top up the engine instead of motor oil. ATF is 5W20 with a different additive package, it won't hurt a thing. I've done 3000mi on ATF, changing the filter every 500-1000mi, and the amount of carbony gunk I would find in the filter was heartwarming.

The problem is that the low-tension rings that assist in getting good fuel economy do not cotton to a lot of idling time, and they stick in the grooves. I used to work at a Saturn dealership and re-ringing the engines at 80-100k for oil consumption was common. The rings were never actually worn out, they would just be stuck in the pistons. Clean the pistons and clear the oil drainbacks, and slap it back together with new rings (because you're already in there...) and the patient is cured.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

peejay wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 pm Do a Run-Rite, or if you don't feel like doing that, hold the engine at a fast idle (2000-2500 rpm) and spray a couple cans of the most VOC-nasty carb cleaner you can get your hands on down its gullet. NAPA brand is good but if you know of better, use that instead. If you do it right you just get the engine to bog down as you are spraying. Then give it a good hammering on the road. It should knock and ping and smoke the first couple times you get on it. This is proof that you did it right.

Then change the oil, filling the crankcase with ATF instead of motor oil, and change it and the filter after 500-1000mi. If it still burns oil, use ATF to top up the engine instead of motor oil. ATF is 5W20 with a different additive package, it won't hurt a thing.

The problem is that the low-tension rings that assist in getting good fuel economy do not cotton to a lot of idling time, and they stick in the grooves. I used to work at a Saturn dealership and re-ringing the engines at 80-100k for oil consumption was common. The rings were never actually worn out, they would just be stuck in the pistons. Clean the pistons and clear the oil drainbacks, and slap it back together with new rings (because you're already in there...) and the patient is cured.
If you have enough injector you can mix e85 and just beat the snot out of the engine.

Or you can do a top end treatment, where you pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with a solvent that seeps past the rings and slowly dissolves the tar.

Then change the oil.

JB had or has a oil cleaner that works very well.. It's some nasty smelling stuff almost like mek. Let the engine idle for 15 minutes. Change oil. You will see black worms coming out of the oil when you drain it.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

I have personally repaired a lot of these engines. I’m a Toyota master tech. I can tell you with all certainty, no amount of additives are gonna help. These pistons and ring assembly’s are glued with carbon/oil deposits. The new rings supplied by Toyota are far different for the repair. 3 piece oil ring, instead if 1 piece. Napier second etc . Was the car serviced at this dealership? If not can she supply regular oil change records? The reason I’m asking is, if so, I have a hard time believing this dealer would not cover it under” goodwill” policy or have pull with the powers that be to get it covered. We certainly have. Each dealer is different that way I suppose.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

You'll be wasting your time. Many have tried to "fix" the oil burning with no success. Toyota (and Honda and maybe others) had several different years/cars/engines that had the problem. They guzzle the oil but the odd thing is they don't smoke. My 2001 Corolla used a quart every 500 miles and not a hint of smoke visible in the exhaust.

Rick

edit - typed before the previous post by grant6395
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

I have seen Royal Purple MaxSolv (http://www.royalpurpleindustrial.com/products/maxsolv/) free up stuck rings. A hard run on a chassis dyno (absorber type) holding full throttle at just above peak torque rpm until the smoke and comets stop coming out of the exhaust. Change oil, filter and spark plugs straight after. A top quality full-synthetic will prevent recurrence.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

Neighbor had a 2008 with religious 3K Mobil 1 oil changes and he still ended up having the recall done due to oil consumption. I don't think any quick fixes will work. Wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and pour whatever nasty crap you can find in there and hopefully help a little with consumption. I'd pursue higher ups though or a different dealer. They were very good about fixing this issue and I can't see being 10 days the deadline as a reason to upset a customer.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I have a hard time believing that you are out of luck- the vehicle is either in or out of the serial number recall and the work was done or not. My old 4runner had the steering center link replaced under recall- 1990 done in 2008. Couldn't believe it, and the fact that if it was defective it would have long ago broke.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the dealer can charge you and still charge the manufacture for the repair.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

dfarr67 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am I have a hard time believing that you are out of luck- the vehicle is either in or out of the serial number recall and the work was done or not. My old 4runner had the steering center link replaced under recall- 1990 done in 2008. Couldn't believe it, and the fact that if it was defective it would have long ago broke.

The op's oil consumption problem isn't a recall, it's a special policy extending the warranty. Safety recalls (usually) don't expire, but special policies are (usually) just extensions on the warranty for specific problems.

To the OP, I'd recommend calling Toyota customer service and see if they'll help you with the cost of repairs. https://www.toyota.com/support/contact-us

(I'm not a Toyota tech. I'm a former GM Master Tech, but I suspect most manufacturers are the same)
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I'm on my 3rd original owner Tacoma, it's a 2004, still doesn't burn any oil, never been opened, its only got 456K, guess I'm lucky so far. :D
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

It's 10 years and up to 150,000 miles they'll do the repair. If you fall within that Toyota will fix it. Even 10 days over, the right dealer can get it fixed. They go by the VIN for the in service date and that can sometimes be off so check that out.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Rick360 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 pm You'll be wasting your time. Many have tried to "fix" the oil burning with no success. Toyota (and Honda and maybe others) had several different years/cars/engines that had the problem. They guzzle the oil but the odd thing is they don't smoke. My 2001 Corolla used a quart every 500 miles and not a hint of smoke visible in the exhaust.

Rick

edit - typed before the previous post by grant6395
My girlfriend's 2000 Toyota Corolla use to use around two quarts a month after 120k miles. Couldn't see the smoke but the right rear bumper was all black. Ended up at the junk yard.
Joe Facciano
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

pamotorman wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 am the dealer can charge you and still charge the manufacture for the repair.
Nope. Can’t see that happening..
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

These days it would be hard to double dip but I can assure you it was done often in the old days!

When I started with Ford all the shop foreman

We’re running take out warranted 428 CJs in their

personal Ford Cars from 66 Tbird Converts to 63 1/2 XLs!!

The reps finally caught on and made us bust the blocks

with a sledge.

Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP