Carbon Fiber connecting rods from AWA Composites/SEMA?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Carbon Fiber connecting rods from AWA Composites/SEMA?

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Anybody heard of this place? They've got a booth at SEMA and they're displaying carbon fiber connecting rods at a cost of $18k for a set. I'm assuming that's a set of 8, as they mention Top Fuel in the SEMA display. Their website also shows a few cf parts they say they intend to release in Q4 of '18 and Q1 of 2019. Supercharger rotors, pushrods, rocker arms, rods, and they even talk about FULL cf pistons and include a patent application number, 62535821. Says they hired Top Fuel crew chief Lee Beard, as well.

Anybody heard of them? The guys name is Arthur Warfield. There's a little info on the website. I was actually wondering if anyone could find any info on the patent application or any other patents they may hold. I didn't have any luck. They showed a patent application number for the pistons of 62535821 somewhere but I can't seem to find it. They also list what they're calling "serial numbers" 16/041,464 for the rods and 16/042,350 on the pistons. The rest say patent pending. Those look similar to patent #'s but I don't know enough to determine if they are in that form.

Besides that, what do you all think? I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure where exactly to put it.

www.awacomposites.com/products/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Carbon Fiber connecting rods from AWA Composites/SEMA?

Post by lefty o »

i think its a great idea, if they can maintain roundness on the ends. 18k for a set on the other hand, not for this guy.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Better not detonate the engine with those rods.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

CamKing wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:19 pm Better not detonate the engine with those rods.
any experience with them, or is this theoretical? just curious as depending on fiber layout, and epoxy carbon fiber is built with, it can have a good bit of flex in it. im sure it can be made very rigid too. idk, just thinking out loud.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

Maybe treat them as a fusible link. When one goes it just disintegrates, reducing collateral damage.
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

Awful lot of square corners there for a composite part.... A bit of background research reads like the founder has been a successful entrepreneur in dental technology #-o and as they raise funding they plan to hire or contract the appropriate talent to actually develop specific parts.

https://www.crowdfunder.com/user/193368
Dave
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Great ideas, but I wouldn't be experimenting on my motor at those prices. If it works, they'll become more mainstream over time and the price will come down, especially once others figure out how to do it. I know someone in the industry that has owned his own CF business and will run this past him to get his take re the feasibility of what they claim
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

3D printing is big in dentistry
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

What would it gain me having a 150g rod over say a 550g?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Lower rotating mass will accelerate faster. Lower reciprocating weight will put less load into bearings for the same rpm
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

How do they make carpet fiber useful under a compressive load?

I remember the huge CF fad in the bike world. It ended up being as floppy and flexible as titanium but at twice the price.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I thought an alum rod was rather forgiving with any shock loading, which is why in an Alum rod has a limited life cycle because of fatigue. CF is stiffer per weight, seems that would increase loading on over items, even though being lighter. Is quicker acceleration a performance limit with TF motors now.?

I don't see the projected costs justified by the manufacturing process, other then they might be first out of the gate. Correct me if I am wrong again, but size, within reason is not an issue, as the part will need to occupy more volume then Alum, but that has some structural upsides.
Is this formed/cured under extreme pressure/heat?
Last edited by j-c-c on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

CamKing wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:19 pm Better not detonate the engine with those rods.
That would seem to exclude Top Fuel.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Pushrods, rockers, blower rotors , pistons, aswell as carbon ceramic flywheel.
How stiff can a carbon fiber item be made? Thinking pushrods and rockers for big SR cam etc.?
Craig.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Could you help me take the splinters out of my fingers on disassembly?
GURU is only a name.
Adam