New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com or
https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

Real Budget Vortec Engine build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4297
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by Carnut1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

rebelyell wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Not trying to be funny ... I ask because I don't know and I'm following this build's details as closely as I can

What are meanings of following terms / abbreviations?

SN ?

Randy Valve Job ?

Randy Porting ?

Snotty ?
SN special needs build (thread)
50 degree
Special secret Randy porting
Snotty: high specific output engine for the cubic inch
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by CGT » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 pm

paulzig wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm
CGT wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 am
If they were for trying a cam on the dyno, I wanted to do something drastic for the sake of learning.
Why not go the other way?

Like a solid roller, remove the hydraulic element, and go to a much smaller SR lobe as this only peaked at 6000RPM..

Looking through the comp book:

IN: 4871 the XE 224@50 lobe
EX: 1476 the HE 244@50 lobe ... 109 LSA something like that
Well its all hypothetical now since the engine is gone. But, as nice as a SR is for testing it just wouldnt be in the budget for "Dale". And my thought was to see if peak hp rpm could be pushed up with more area....how much and how the curve looked at and around it. I also would like to see how the bottom of the curve stood up to a chunk more duration thrown at it.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, He will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man"

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by levisnteeshirt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

Really impressed ,, saw a 355 with trick flow 210 heads I think , Vic Jr , bullet flat tap 254/262-106 cam , approx 10.5-1 , 750 quick fuel do 504 HP , probably spent a good bit more than what you guys did ,,

steve cowan
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by steve cowan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 am

levisnteeshirt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am
Really impressed ,, saw a 355 with trick flow 210 heads I think , Vic Jr , bullet flat tap 254/262-106 cam , approx 10.5-1 , 750 quick fuel do 504 HP , probably spent a good bit more than what you guys did ,,
good post levis,
the reality is it is tough to get a genuine 500hp out of a pump gas 10.5:1 small block anything,we all know some good fellows on this forum punch way above,and through testing and actually building engines they get the job done and post there results good or bad.
i spend a lot of time at my local track and all i hear is my engine makes 600 plus blah blah and @ 3400 pounds runs mid 11s @118 MPH.OR SO
thats probably 100 hp shy,anyway i should not be raving on,just felt like having a whinge. :roll:
steve c

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by levisnteeshirt » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am

steve cowan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 am
levisnteeshirt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am
Really impressed ,, saw a 355 with trick flow 210 heads I think , Vic Jr , bullet flat tap 254/262-106 cam , approx 10.5-1 , 750 quick fuel do 504 HP , probably spent a good bit more than what you guys did ,,
good post levis,
the reality is it is tough to get a genuine 500hp out of a pump gas 10.5:1 small block anything,we all know some good fellows on this forum punch way above,and through testing and actually building engines they get the job done and post there results good or bad.
i spend a lot of time at my local track and all i hear is my engine makes 600 plus blah blah and @ 3400 pounds runs mid 11s @118 MPH.OR SO
thats probably 100 hp shy,anyway i should not be raving on,just felt like having a whinge. :roll:
The engine I mentioned was an underperforming unit in the car ,, I don't know if it was converter , gear , what ,, I have to wonder if it was a intake velocity thing ,, yes it made 500hp on a dyno , no timer on a dyno , just hard to nail down exactly , but if I was a betting man I would say the head was a little big ,, this shop has done other motors that did less of a dyno number and were .50 quicker in the 1/8 in a similar car / set up

steve cowan
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by steve cowan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

levisnteeshirt wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am
steve cowan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 am
levisnteeshirt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am
Really impressed ,, saw a 355 with trick flow 210 heads I think , Vic Jr , bullet flat tap 254/262-106 cam , approx 10.5-1 , 750 quick fuel do 504 HP , probably spent a good bit more than what you guys did ,,
good post levis,
the reality is it is tough to get a genuine 500hp out of a pump gas 10.5:1 small block anything,we all know some good fellows on this forum punch way above,and through testing and actually building engines they get the job done and post there results good or bad.
i spend a lot of time at my local track and all i hear is my engine makes 600 plus blah blah and @ 3400 pounds runs mid 11s @118 MPH.OR SO
thats probably 100 hp shy,anyway i should not be raving on,just felt like having a whinge. :roll:
The engine I mentioned was an underperforming unit in the car ,, I don't know if it was converter , gear , what ,, I have to wonder if it was a intake velocity thing ,, yes it made 500hp on a dyno , no timer on a dyno , just hard to nail down exactly , but if I was a betting man I would say the head was a little big ,, this shop has done other motors that did less of a dyno number and were .50 quicker in the 1/8 in a similar car / set up
good point,
i actually had a phone conversation with a pretty smart guy from the forum here a couple of weeks ago and shift recovery came up in the conversation,
even for own limited knowledge and experience have gone to smaller heads and smaller cams with surprising time slips,my car is running within a few tenths in the 1/8 mile compared when i had a bigger head/cam and higher rpm application
steve c

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by CGT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 am

Resized_20190408_211609.jpeg
123_1.jpg
Stopped by to check on Project Dale. Looks like theyve been having some fun...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, He will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man"

steve cowan
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by steve cowan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 am

I think Dale is waiting patiently,
Wants to help turn the rear tyres in anger :D
steve c

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by CGT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:04 am

[q
steve cowan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 am
tyres
Do tyres hook better than tires Steve??? I was a terror at this kids age(17) with a high 14 second car. But fortunately, Brenden seems a more calm and responsible than I was. It should be a 120mph car in reasonable air.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, He will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man"

steve cowan
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by steve cowan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 pm

CGT wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:04 am
[q
steve cowan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 am
tyres
Do tyres hook better than tires Steve??? I was a terror at this kids age(17) with a high 14 second car. But fortunately, Brenden seems a more calm and responsible than I was. It should be a 120mph car in reasonable air.
C H A D,
you had me second guessing on my spelling lol
Australian spelling - tyres
American spelling - tires
both mean round rubber things that produce white smoke (burnout)
Australian spelling - tires- exhausted,buggered,knackered,f**ked,needs a rest etc
this is hilarious,never in all my years have i noticed this. :D
steve c

wilson1970
Member
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by wilson1970 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm

What did you use for carburetor and ignition?

zums
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 am
Location: south jersey

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by zums » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I thought it was tirez, i know one thing, the kid is goonna need new pantz when he dumps the throttle
Tom

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3242
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by randy331 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:20 pm

zums wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
I thought it was tirez, i know one thing, the kid is goonna need new pantz when he dumps the throttle
Tom
LOL :lol:

Randy

steve cowan
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am
Location: brisbane AUSTRALIA

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by steve cowan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm

randy331 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:20 pm
zums wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
I thought it was tirez, i know one thing, the kid is goonna need new pantz when he dumps the throttle
Tom
LOL :lol:

Randy
Good one Tom :D
It will be a tough streeter for sure
steve c

BLOCKMAN
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am

Re: Real Budget Vortec Engine build

Post by BLOCKMAN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:36 am

cpmotors wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:43 pm
FWIW-
906 heads with 1.94/1.50 and mild porting, Comp XE HR 230/236° @ .050" 110°, 1.6 rockers, 10.5:1, Scat Rods with Mahle pistons 1.5/1.5/3.0 ring pack, stock lifters, Beehives, Pro Magnum Rockers. Stuska Dyno.
Image
It says fully blue printed as in the lifter bores and cam tunnel have been machined to blue print along with cylinder locations to blue print, If so that was not a cheap build. I would like to see what that job cost.

Post Reply