E100

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Craig J

E100

Post by Craig J »

I travel to Brazil frequently for work, and I almost always buy E100 when I am there (E25 is the only other alternative).

Other than the reduced mileage, the current flex fuel rental cars like Ford Ka or Fiat Uno basically drive the same on E100 as they do on the E25...

I have been thinking about my 69 Coronet clone super bee... and wondering how well E100 would work with a high compression NA hemi.

Would the limits be similar to E85 or like methanol? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Craig
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: E100

Post by MadBill »

No direct experience but:
E100 (likely actually ~ E95, since it is always adulterated to discourage drinking it.) gives poor driveabilty and cold starting compared to low % blends, but it sounds like that would not be an issue for you and the higher-than-E85 effective octane rating and heat of vaporization would be a plus for an HC Hemi.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Craig J

Re: E100

Post by Craig J »

The Ka & Uno both have an intake heater that typically turns on if the ambient temp is below 15 degrees C. I am not sure how well E100 would work in a daily driver in the northern US... I suspect it would be a problem. 30 years ago in Brazil they had a small tank of gasoline to warm up on and then changed over to E100, but with the newer cars they don't really need it.