Nascar 550 hp limit ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

68post

Re: Nascar 550 hp limit ??

Post by 68post »

I believe they'd have to start a Nostalgia Series to get some of us interested again, but that's not likely.
As far as local small tracks, I can hear the one we used to race at - it's that close, 1/5th mi oval and figure 8, nearly flat/very slight bank asphalt (Indianapolis Speedrome, and inside city limits). Can't wait for it to open soon but also can't get anyone interested in going, I'll go alone if I have to !!
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

nitro2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:03 pm
englertracing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 pm Just turn the TV off, and go to your local asphalt or dirt track and watch some asphalt late or super late models, or if your lucky modifieds and super modifieds. Or if its the dirt variety some super streets and late models, or some wing or non wing sprint cars.
your bound to see some 100x better racing.
englertracing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 pm You get to see the entire track in most cases and you can even go talk to the drivers.
BINGO ! Get off the couch, shut the boob tube off and support your local track and drivers. Same idea for local baseball, football, basketball etc.
Ill skip the baseball, football, and basketball.
rather watch an mx or desert race or down hill mountain biking hell even rock crawling, shit i would watch rock climbing before ball sports.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

https://youtu.be/cRzLBFQ5M2Y
they have got this shit figured out down under.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

The only way road racing like that can be viewed effectively is on a TV or filmed basis. It's no fun going to a huge road race track like that and sitting a one of the many turns or small visible sections of the track and not seeing the cars throughout the entire track or the racing and events they are involved in.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

The most recent races at Sebring last weekend have it figured out, 12 hrs, you wander around and can watch every corner till your heart is content, plenty of infield fan shenanigans to keep one from being bored when walking between corners, there are 4 different classes/performance levels on the track at one time (continuous rolling chicanes), they try to race n the rain, separation between 1st and second after 12 hrs was just over a second, lead was changing constantly, lots of jumboftrons around the track, in most classes there were six or more cars finishing on the same lap after 12 hours, and they race in the dark. Worst thing, Nascar owns the series, they still have time to screw it up. The Vettes sound cool, the Porsche's just scream, the top class looks like they are slot cars the way they handle, and watching those drivers hit their marks lap after lap is rather impressive.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Have not been to a Sebring race in years but it sounds like they did a great job with Jumbotrons and a wider view of the track which if I remember is a pretty simple format and no trees like Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm 35,000 in attendance at Fontana! Why even come to California. I would bet putting on the track event with rent was way greater than the gate! SAD! :roll:
At avg $40/person, you're looking at 1.4 million in ticket sales alone. And that's if each person paid the bare minimum to get in. Every single one. Take that avg to $50 and you're looking at 1.75 million in ticket sales alone.

RENT for the track itself is like 20-30k/day depending on where you go. Daytona is 33k for the weekend, for example. Mazda Laguna Seca is anywhere from 6k to 20k per day depending on when you rent. That's just for the track itself. I doubt Famoso is much different.

Tried to look for other associated costs but its turning out to be somewhat difficult to find anything pertinent to the conversation.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

makin chips wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm
Newold1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm 35,000 in attendance at Fontana! Why even come to California. I would bet putting on the track event with rent was way greater than the gate! SAD! :roll:
At avg $40/person, you're looking at 1.4 million in ticket sales alone. And that's if each person paid the bare minimum to get in. Every single one. Take that avg to $50 and you're looking at 1.75 million in ticket sales alone.

RENT for the track itself is like 20-30k/day depending on where you go. Daytona is 33k for the weekend, for example. Mazda Laguna Seca is anywhere from 6k to 20k per day depending on when you rent. That's just for the track itself. I doubt Famoso is much different.

Tried to look for other associated costs but its turning out to be somewhat difficult to find anything pertinent to the conversation.
How much do you think NASCAR spent to advertise that race ? TV and Radio spots in the LA market, are not cheep. NASCAR goes to Fontona, because Toyota(TRD) is there.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Mike,I live in the area and there is virtually no ads for the race.That has been a big rub.Also this winter has been one of the coldest with no 70 degree days in LA in Feb.The weekend of the race was one of the best weather weekends of the first 1/4.Did you see the snow cap mtns behind the track? It was a perfect weekend to go to the mtn or go to the beach.This market is always a tough sell for any sports venue.First race I have missed since the track was open.I saw one deal on the local news TV station that sat.Tom
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

tjs44 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:46 pm Mike,I live in the area and there is virtually no ads for the race.That has been a big rub.Also this winter has been one of the coldest with no 70 degree days in LA in Feb.The weekend of the race was one of the best weather weekends of the first 1/4.Did you see the snow cap mtns behind the track? It was a perfect weekend to go to the mtn or go to the beach.This market is always a tough sell for any sports venue.First race I have missed since the track was open.I saw one deal on the local news TV station that sat.Tom
I was told that Fontana was one of the races they were going to focus advertising $$ on, but I don't know if that meant locally, or nationally.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I watch for ads when the winter nationals and NASCAR come to town and there is damn little on any places.Channel 5 local usually sends someone there on pre day but not a lot.The Local fishing-out door show in March gets billboards and some small print ads and some TV.WAY more than any racing.I was in the local retail biz for 45 years with print ads twice a week so I pay attention to print and some TV.Social media has taken over much of the ad biz and im not on any of it so I could be missing where they are putting their ad dollars.My old co has moved some away from print into social and direct email blasts to customers.I do get the emails from Auto Club Speedway.FWIW,Tom
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Perhaps there is a very good reason why NASCAR attendance and viewership are down and will continue to fall.

Its because there are fewer and fewer Chevy and Ford owners left in the US. At least of the type of cars seen
on the track.

For both Ford and Chevy, the elimination of cars to be replaced by SUVs and trucks seems inevitible.

NASCAR needs to race the types of vehicles that fans (and their wives) relate to and will buy.

If not, the good old boys might as well race open wheel cars and get their ass kicked by little pretty boys
from Europe.
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

So HD diesel truck races will bring the fans in.

(with a special race towing a large trailer)

:mrgreen:
Ed
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Ed..that was funny LOL :lol: :lol: Mark H.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

emsvitil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 pm So HD diesel truck races will bring the fans in.

(with a special race towing a large trailer)

:mrgreen:
That would be a sellout race here in Texas!