Let's discuss GM's new RUMORED Big Block reintroduction!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Re: Let's discuss GM's new RUMORED Big Block reintroduction!

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Morgo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:05 pm The gasoline is too cheap in US..

We call it the law of supply and demand in relatively free market capitalism.

Gasoline here is not "too cheap", rather it is fairly and correctly priced according to the market, albeit the federal gasoline tax of $0.38 per gallon is a bit high.
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

Well,if the gas cost 4.2$/gallon what would you drive?
Edit: it's 6.6/gallon :oops:
Last edited by Morgo on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Morgo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:33 am Well,if the gas cost 4.2$/gallon what would you drive?
When gasoline was $4.00 a gallon, I drove my 8.1L Vortec powered 3500 crew cab dooley (when that model was launched 40+ years ago, Chevy called it "the big dooley). And often drove it to the polls to defeat the idiot politicians causing gasoline prices to rise due to their stupidity.

I didn't come to this thread to tell you what gasoline should cost in your "nation". Extend us the same courtesy.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

There are reasons that gasoline and diesel are waaaaaay to expensive in most of Europe and the bottom line really is there is really no common sense reasonable, intelligent reason for it! It's called big brother tells you how to live and how much money you can spend so you can pay those ridiculous taxes! The only saving grace there is in most countries of Europe, they have fabulous public transportation systems, much smaller geography and driving distances. You don't see many cars in Europe putting 15,000 -20,000 miles a year on odometer!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
echosixmike

Post by echosixmike »

Without going into the US vs European politics, the simple fact is that America uses more truck transport than Europe, and we drive much more. We also consume more, which drives the prior points. Now, I firmly believe we need more train transport of goods, and that driver wages are too low and freight costs too little, but that's out of scope.

Gas engines have a lot of benefits for the medium duty market. You don't the same concerns about cold weather than diesels have in much of the country, with all the resulting infrastructure issues. They don't kill starters nearly as much. When you add in the problems of post-07 diesel emissions equipment, gas engines are more useful to the US market in light and medium duty trucks. It's only in long range cruising, such as OTR, hotshotting, etc that light/medium diesel start to make economic sense. S/F....Ken M
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I don't think that GM will ever produce the Big Block engine again. Most current emphasis is on smaller engines, even for full-size pickups, SUVs and sedans. Turbochargers will be used to more extent across all lines of OEM vehicles, thereby producing more horsepower from smaller engines AND meeting CAFE guidelines.
All manufacturers will put more emphasis on Diesel engines for light, medium and heavy duty trucks and most will be offering smaller Diesel engines that produce as much power/torque as current production Diesel engines.

I have heard that GM has sold all production rights and tooling for the Big Block engines to Mercury Marine, but have not yet seen any actual proof to substantiate this. I do know that Mercury was assembling some, if not all, of GM's Big Block crate engines within the recent past.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

GM actually did sell the production Chevy big block tooling. There's a company that produces them for industrial uses, and sells spare parts, it is not Mercury Marine.

Yes, there is a trend toward smaller engines. But NOT in one ton and medium duty trucks. Ford is not introducing a 7.0 liter pushrod V8 truck engine because no one wants it.
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

engineguyBill wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:16 pm I don't think that GM will ever produce the Big Block engine again. Most current emphasis is on smaller engines, even for full-size pickups, SUVs and sedans. Turbochargers will be used to more extent across all lines of OEM vehicles, thereby producing more horsepower from smaller engines AND meeting CAFE guidelines.
All manufacturers will put more emphasis on Diesel engines for light, medium and heavy duty trucks and most will be offering smaller Diesel engines that produce as much power/torque as current production Diesel engines.

I have heard that GM has sold all production rights and tooling for the Big Block engines to Mercury Marine, but have not yet seen any actual proof to substantiate this. I do know that Mercury was assembling some, if not all, of GM's Big Block crate engines within the recent past.
GM and Navistar aren't going to power that new Class 7 truck they're working on with that 6.6L, that's for sure. It's Navistar that's also working with them on this rumored 8L+ big block. Considering the success of their last endeavors, I'd say it's a very likely scenario.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Are you saying a GM/Navistar 8L Diesel engine in development stages???
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Nope. Not diesel. Gas powered 8L+. The 2nd link isn't the exact site I read, I don't think, but the gist of the info is still there.

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority. ... truck/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority. ... 8-l8t/amp/

PSI, who works with Navistar, built an 8.8L gas engine in '17 with something like 260hp and 530 lb.ft. I don't doubt that GM/Navistar could create something better. The need is there, obviously, or there wouldn't be companies still developing these sorts of engines for medium-heavy duty trucks.
HiPer Express

Post by HiPer Express »

echosixmike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm Without going into the US vs European politics, the simple fact is that America uses more truck transport than Europe.
Dont know about transports but only in western Europe class 8 trucks are sold more than in all the NAFTA countries combined.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

Don't discount gmauthority.com, either. They were first to report news and info on the new 6.6L that GM is releasing, sometime last year.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/new ... vy-trucks/
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

HiPer Express wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 am
echosixmike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm Without going into the US vs European politics, the simple fact is that America uses more truck transport than Europe.
Dont know about transports but only in western Europe class 8 trucks are sold more than in all the NAFTA countries combined.
Truck sales are good right now in Europe.

Here in the US we have a driver shortage so the big fleets have cut back on buying new equipment since they don't have asses for the seats they have now.

Used to be a big recruiting tool here was the $40-50k wages they bragged about. But the words out how few drivers make that their first year and mellenials don't really want to be gone or even commit to a full time job.

I've been driving class 8 trucks for 47 years...my generation is dying off with few replacement drivers on the horizon.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
68post

Post by 68post »

Interesting that GM had developed an 8.0L, (in 2010), that seems to be a tall deck version of the 7400, even the port layout is same. Perhaps a revised version of this, with yet again with more stroke !? (4.27" X 4.25" @ 8.0L ) The rumor/speculation in the above links is 8.8L.