Race Engine Challenge 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Race Engine Challenge 2019

Post by David Vizard »

Keep an eye on this thread. From my conversation with Greg this morning some very interesting announcements are close by.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Anyone get their build on the pump yet?

Just finished two days worth ,, more tomorrow
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Well i suppose that most of you have head of my meltdown and subsequent emergency brain surgery. It has taken 3 months out of my life and the prediction is it will take 9 to 12 months to recvover to a best of 95% on the right lobe of the brain.

Needless to say this has had a devastating impact on my REC build wich was a really high tech ddeal with a lot of custom parts. Wel that won't be finished by the date so I have had to change course somewhat.

There is an engine which Terry Walters and I are going to substitute in the competition. There is still quite a lot of work to do to this substitute but no where near what our originally planned entry.

Here is the new game plan. We are going to build a right off the drawing board 427 SBC. No screwing around testing multiple parts(especially cams) - the build will be exactly what my TorqueMaster cam program says it should be. I want to show the TorqueMaster can edow the novice with the info to build a really high torque/hp motor first time around.

There was a 427 -23 degree SBC that I showed the power curve for a few months ago. If I remember correctly that made - on 87 octane fuel - 1.41 lbs-ft per cube and pumped out over 700 hp- not bad for a true street driver. Build spec - 100% TorqueMaster.

Go back about a couple of years and there was a bored and stroked 454 which went to 505 cubes. This was another 100% TorqueMaster specced build - 1.43 lbs-ft per cube and aver 800 hp - on 87 octane fuel.

I may not win the competition but I am sure I will win over the confidence of a few open minded engine builders who will see the benefits of a motor build using all easy to get 'off the shelf' parts and get the near perfect combo and have the build done with the least shop time involved.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

gmrocket wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 pm Anyone get their build on the pump yet?

Just finished two days worth ,, more tomorrow
Almost the same as last year ... thicker head gaskets, very slightly different cam and bigger carbs is all.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

David Vizard wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm I may not win the competition but I am sure I will win over the confidence of a few open minded engine builders who will see the benefits of a motor build using all easy to get 'off the shelf' parts and get the near perfect combo and have the build done with the least shop time involved.
Yeah ryte it is obvious you will be the winner it is nice you are modest for the other competitors though; so that they can feel like they may have a chance[[[my money is on VD Iwill be following closely a long; GO REC GO DV!!
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

David if you added 2-4 degrees and 92 octane on those last 2 motors what would have been the outcome? :)
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

econo racer wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 am David if you added 2-4 degrees and 92 octane on those last 2 motors what would have been the outcome? :)
A little more power!
DV
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

Sumtingwong wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm
David Vizard wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm I may not win the competition but I am sure I will win over the confidence of a few open minded engine builders who will see the benefits of a motor build using all easy to get 'off the shelf' parts and get the near perfect combo and have the build done with the least shop time involved.
Yeah ryte it is obvious you will be the winner it is nice you are modest for the other competitors though; so that they can feel like they may have a chance[[[my money is on VD Iwill be following closely a long; GO REC GO DV!!
Lmao. Go back under your bridge.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Fitting this 23 degree tunnel ram on an 18 degree small block Chevy is becoming a real bear.
If I knew anything about mechanical fuel injection it sure would have been much easier to have used the sprint-car stuff that was on it.

Oh well ... live and learn.

Converting the dry-sump engine to an internal wet sump was easier than I thought, though.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

My money is on one of the LS engines.. The LS7 if I had to choose.. :D
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

paulzig wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:40 am My money is on one of the LS engines.. The LS7 if I had to choose.. :D
How much$$? 😉
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Has anyone tested FI against a carb?

If so , what are you going with?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

gmrocket wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:10 am Has anyone tested FI against a carb?

Not this year but, only at wide open throttle when I did test them against one another in past years.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Not this year but, only at wide open throttle when I did test them against one another in past years.
What did you see?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

plovett wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:06 pm

What did you see?
Here the EFI was down on tq through the whole range,, it did catch up as the peak hp was the same.

Pretty difficult for it to cool the intake prior to a pull like a carb...once the intake is heat soaked on the EFI, it's game over on comparing it