I heard the LS1 borrowed from other brands which came before

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: I heard the LS1 borrowed from other brands which came before

Post by Ron E »

I did a quickie search. didn't find much. But, it looks like T&D or Jesel can solve those problems. Just requires foot-locker full of $20's for either.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Truckedup wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm I was told by a knowledgeable guy that Pontiac engineers developed the LS.
That one is a little hard to swallow, since GM powertrain was centralized by the time the LS was conceived. I don't think there were dedicated "Pontiac" powertrain engineers by the time the 1990s rolled around.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

The LS engine was developed by GM Powertrain division, at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan. As has been stated already, most of the GM divisions were supplied with "corporate" engines from the powertrain division. There were (and possibly are) some divisions that do (did) design their own engine designs such as Cadillac, and Oldsmobile (Quad 4 and Aurora V-8). Pontiac has not had their own engine design for several decades.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

The idea that the LS was a copy of any 50's or 60's engine is to look too much at the large features and ignore what makes it great (the details).
More simulation and analysis work was done on the LS than all engines made by all brands from the 50's and 60's combined.

That could probably even be said for some single components, such as plastic intake manifolds on some late model engines.

In the 60's it was easy for the aftermarket to improve on OEM castings, now; not so much.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I wouldn't discount engine management in this package. I think it adds to what service mileage these engines are getting.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:55 am The idea that the LS was a copy of any 50's or 60's engine is to look too much at the large features and ignore what makes it great (the details).
More simulation and analysis work was done on the LS than all engines made by all brands from the 50's and 60's combined.

That could probably even be said for some single components, such as plastic intake manifolds on some late model engines.

In the 60's it was easy for the aftermarket to improve on OEM castings, now; not so much.
For true. One well-publicized magazine test on the 5.3 demonstrated that. "Well, that's the economy model, so let's begin with the later, bigger better 6.0 heads, intake and cam." The power and torque went down. "Well, let's go to the magic aftermarket heads, intake, cam and computer." The power went down except above 6,500 RPM. GM had optimized the combination so no improvement was possible with the parts available for those tests.

A friend of mine owns a street rod shop. He built a '70 short box C10 with a stock 5.3. He sorted it and gave it to the customer who loved driving it.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:55 am The idea that the LS was a copy of any 50's or 60's engine is to look too much at the large features and ignore what makes it great (the details).

For true. One well-publicized magazine test on the 5.3 demonstrated that. "Well, that's the economy model, so let's begin with the later, bigger better 6.0 heads, intake and cam." The power and torque went down. "Well, let's go to the magic aftermarket heads, intake, cam and computer." The power went down except above 6,500 RPM. GM had optimized the combination so no improvement was possible with the parts available for those tests.

A friend of mine owns a street rod shop. He built a '70 short box C10 with a stock 5.3. He sorted it and gave it to the customer who loved driving it. However, at a show, some passerby sneered at the stock intake and ignition. The customer brought it back with instructions to make it look like a hot rod engine, "You know, carburetor and distributor." Now it looks belly button, but the seat-of-pants power is down and it's getting 2 MPG less mileage.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Here is a ls head on a ford Windsor style engine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

1972ho wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:27 pm Here is a ls head on a ford Windsor style engine
So; the bore spacing are close and the head bolt patterns are the most obvious square pattern.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

We were kicking around the LS-on-Windsor topic and a guy said, "No surprise they fit a Ford; you know Robert Yates designed those for GM."
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 pm For true. One well-publicized magazine test on the 5.3 demonstrated that. "Well, that's the economy model, so let's begin with the later, bigger better 6.0 heads, intake and cam." The power and torque went down. "Well, let's go to the magic aftermarket heads, intake, cam and computer." The power went down except above 6,500 RPM. GM had optimized the combination so no improvement was possible with the parts available for those tests.

jack vines
Really? lol
Here's a dyno plot of a bone stock 2008 5.3L(in blue) pulled from the junkyard, it was rated at 315hp and that was exactly what it made. Pulled the heads on the first cam change to install valve springs and put LS7 lifters in and a quick .003-.005" cut on the heads. I was pretty tired after 5 cam changes and 3 intakes per cam change so I didn't worry about fixing the fuel curve that caused the dip below 4500, I wish I would have :? . It's my "hotrod" cam kit. :)
Dyno_5_3L.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Very impressive, Carl.

Just for clarification, will your hot rod cam kit and intakes pass an emissions tailpipe test and are CARB approved? If so, even more impressive!
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Sorry Jack, I didn't design this one for emissions in mind although it really shouldn't be that dirty, it idles fine in closed loop albeit it does have a nice rumpy idle. It's in a vehicle now and will be going to the chassis dyno to finish off once the rest of the truck is ready. I really don't want to give away the cam specs of my kit since I did spend a lot of time/effort developing it and my "truck" cam(this has been through many smog tests perfectly, although It has not been through a CARB bag test). The "truck" cam is still almost 100hp over stock. I will tell you the "hot rod" cam is a reverse pattern to increase mid range torque :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
TMSJoe
Expert
Expert

Post by TMSJoe »

The LS Chevy block looks a lot like a 292 Ford. You could almost bolt the LS head onto it.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

TMSJoe wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 pm The LS Chevy block looks a lot like a 292 Ford. You could almost bolt the LS head onto it.
OK? That's pure coincidence, so what's your point? You dug this up to post that? Lol.