Cloyes Quick-a-just

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Cloyes Quick-a-just

Post by MadBill »

I haven't worked with a Hex-Adjust, but I think it would help in such a case to rotate the engine to reach a point where the chain is momentarily slack to make the adjustment.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

We use the fast adjust type timing set with the six bolts on the cam gear exclusively, and extensively, where chain type sets are used on race engines. We've had zero problems and zero failures. The max open pressure we've used them with is around 600#.

For hard core racing roller applications, we use the Jesel belt drive.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I have used the hex-a-just a lot. Never had any problems, valvetrain does not need to be backed off. Back the bolts off, hold the bushing with an allen wrench and turn the engine over by hand in the direction you desire. They do seem a little janky, but I've never seen one cause problems . The quick-a-just and others that are designed like that do appear to be nicer, I think CV makes or sells one that looks high quality.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

We use the S.A. Gear adjustable set on three SBC's
seems it is the same setup as the Cloyes Quick Adjust apart from the adjuster itself. On the S.A. gear it is an offset ground T-handle you use to twist the timing to where you want it. No issues, love it.

Pic from www.competitionproducts.com

Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I was worried about the 2 piece upper gear and it moving, someone on here said about the jesel belt drive for race applications. The jesel only has 4 bolts retaining the 2 piece gear together and the cloyes timing set has 6 bolts. I guess if the jesel unit is strong enough, the chain should be also. I would probably check mine out real good though, inspect the location fits for size and check run-out of the 2 piece gear before using it though.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Miniv: I have a 99 vortec block that I am struggling to find a timing set like the one you pictured for my application. What is the SA gear part number and what removable gear cover timing cover did you score for that?

Everyone else:

Who has used the single roller Hex a just? Is it worth a damn?

I would like the quick adjust style gear shown with a cover that the upper portion is removable. I am having one heck of a time getting part numbers for this stuff. The guys at summit and competition products say they won't work with my step snout factory roller style cam. If someone had a specific process and part numbers I (along with many others) would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bryan from Oregon
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Justa1time wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:52 pm Miniv: I have a 99 vortec block that I am struggling to find a timing set like the one you pictured for my application. What is the SA gear part number and what removable gear cover timing cover did you score for that?

Everyone else:

Who has used the single roller Hex a just? Is it worth a damn?

I would like the quick adjust style gear shown with a cover that the upper portion is removable. I am having one heck of a time getting part numbers for this stuff. The guys at summit and competition products say they won't work with my step snout factory roller style cam. If someone had a specific process and part numbers I (along with many others) would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bryan from Oregon
Since you have the problem child block why do you not just call cloyes directly??
I have done that in the past when I have had trouble with the late model vortec style factory roller cam blocks.
I know there is a 9 keyway set available I just don't have the part number handy but a call to cloyes will get it. =D> =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Pro Power: Smart thinking. I did call Cloyes and I spoke with Don. He said Cloyes does not make a quick adjust timing set for the VORTEC block nor a removable cover. I also tried SA gear. SA gear has NOT gotten back to me yet. If they do have a solution I will post the results here.

Thanks,
Bryan from Oregon
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Justa1time wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:09 pm Pro Power: Smart thinking. I did call Cloyes and I spoke with Don. He said Cloyes does not make a quick adjust timing set for the VORTEC block nor a removable cover. I also tried SA gear. SA gear has NOT gotten back to me yet. If they do have a solution I will post the results here.

Thanks,
Bryan from Oregon
It is unfortunate that the newer blocks are not getting the R N D they deserve as they get more popular every day.

Cloyes does sell a double true roller 9 keyway set for that block to use with a roller cam with either the stock cam retainer plate or the older cam nose design with a thrust button set up.

FYI Engine Pro sells a similar set with 3 key gear but a billet top with thrust torrington bearing for the vortec block with the older cam nose design as well as the smaller factory roller nose size as well.
I keep the engine pro sets on the shelf most of the time.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cgarb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:41 am I'm sure someone has used this type of timing set...I have heard of the problems with the hex-a-just but I have searched for reviews of these online an cannot find much. Are they worth using or are they door stops? To me it looks like something that would slip or move, cant say I would trust it with a solid roller.

https://www.jegs.com/p/Cloyes/Cloyes-Qu ... 1/10002/-1
I have used the ones from Lunati, (which probably come from the same Manufacturer), and have had no issues at all.
Throw away that eccentric adjusting tool they give you. Make the adjustments by turning the crank; just like a belt drive.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

As Randy mentioned that is the best way.
that tool will break off if you try to adjust the cam timing with some decent valve spring pressures. I have been there done that. :cry: :cry: #-o
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Elroy: Thank you for the link on the cover- I may snag that! I was trying to avoid using the HEX-A-JUST but maybe thats my only option. I appreciate your feedback.

Pro Power: I will look Into the engine pro options while I wait for correspondence from SA Gear.

If anyone else has options not listed on this thread please bring those to light!

Bryan from Oregon
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Justa1time wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:13 pm Elroy: Thank you for the link on the cover- I may snag that! I was trying to avoid using the HEX-A-JUST but maybe thats my only option. I appreciate your feedback.

Pro Power: I will look Into the engine pro options while I wait for correspondence from SA Gear.

If anyone else has options not listed on this thread please bring those to light!

Bryan from Oregon
That Hex-a-just set which simply changes the position of the cam pin within a larger hole is not a good idea when using higher than stock valve spring forces.
There is a bending force being applied to the cam pin instead of a sheer force, which is not a good thing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

I spoke with someone at SA Gear and they state they don't even make a timing set speficially for the VORTEC blocks.

Updated,

Bryan from Oregon