New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com or
https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

Willy's Super Bowls

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BlitzA64
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Willy's Super Bowls

Post by BlitzA64 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am

Anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?

ZIGGY
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by ZIGGY » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Is that some kind of fast food? Seriously, as I understand it, their bowl/s supposedly reduces
fuel supply aeration. Given a well tuned carb to start with, it seems to me you'd need on-car race time data collection
to really prove any tuning benefit. Seat of the pants is too subject to psychological influence with many people.
Be interested in hearing what jmarkaudio and some of the other carb guru's here have to say...

BlitzA64
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by BlitzA64 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

My inquiry would aim towards keeping the afr consistent with high g load non banked corners (getting rid of lean spikes). If it were fast food I would likely be answering not inquiring!

ZIGGY
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by ZIGGY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am

(Sounds like we're both food experts.) Again, I think only way to prove it is real time data collection.
You're probably aware that some carb builders(e.g.Braswell) sometimes use asymmetrical jetting
to address circle track conditions.

BlitzA64
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by BlitzA64 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I agree with the real time deal. I guess I will pop on them and figure it out, pizzed away more than that on more foolish stuff in my life. Boobie bar nights come to mind for some reason.

Krooser
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: Tropical Wisconsin

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by Krooser » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm

A lot of the top running dirt late model guys use them...pretty unique deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVEwud70I4
Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Member Class of 2019

ZIGGY
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by ZIGGY » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Probably gave them away. All other things being equal, don't see that they'd hurt anything.
Still like to hear what Speedtalk's carb geniuses think.

racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by racinnut15xm » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:47 pm

Krooser wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm
A lot of the top running dirt late model guys use them...pretty unique deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVEwud70I4
Who do you know running it? I can only think of one on one of the two national tours.

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by levisnteeshirt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 am

I think the video is misleading , if gasoline formed these bubbles a normal set of bowls wouldn't be doing as well as they do

ClassAct
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by ClassAct » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 pm

levisnteeshirt wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 am
I think the video is misleading , if gasoline formed these bubbles a normal set of bowls wouldn't be doing as well as they do


I didn't watch the video you are referencing but IIRC it was a BLP video that showed how much aeration goes on in fuel bowl. Or maybe Mark Whitener did the video.

BlitzA64
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by BlitzA64 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I didn't watch the video you are referencing but IIRC it was a BLP video that showed how much aeration goes on in fuel bowl. Or maybe Mark Whitener did the video.
Yes Mark did a video with standard top feed N/S and a BLP bottom feed. I had problems a couple weeks ago with a BLP carb and lean out in the corner. After taking it apart I found it had top feed 110 N/S which I attribute some of the issue to.....

Tuner
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:26 am

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by Tuner » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm

BlitzA64 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 pm
I didn't watch the video you are referencing but IIRC it was a BLP video that showed how much aeration goes on in fuel bowl. Or maybe Mark Whitener did the video.
Yes Mark did a video with standard top feed N/S and a BLP bottom feed. I had problems a couple weeks ago with a BLP carb and lean out in the corner. After taking it apart I found it had top feed 110 N/S which I attribute some of the issue to.....
Aside from a carb calibration with excess emulsion air which will cause a part-throttle over-rich stumble, it is just as likely, possibly more likely, that cornering and corner exit stumble issues are from too much fuel pressure, which, when setting the float level to just dribble out the sight plug, will result in the float pontoon being closer to the bottom of the bowl and not able to drop enough to let the inlet valve open enough for WOT flow demand. Higher fuel pressure means the pressure drop through the N&S is greater and this encourages more vapor to boil out of the liquid fuel. The same phenomenon of vapor pressure release is what makes carbonated beverage foam up a bottle neck when the cap is removed.

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by levisnteeshirt » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 am

Emulsion bubbles are created in a low pressure environment, at atmospheric pressure ,, unless soap has been added ,, I don't see how these bubbles in a fuel bowl would stay suspended above the same liquid it is formed from ,, I could be horribly mistaken ,, if the situation is as bad as the video represents , a Holley carburetor wouldn't function IMO

ClassAct
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by ClassAct » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm

levisnteeshirt wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 am
Emulsion bubbles are created in a low pressure environment, at atmospheric pressure ,, unless soap has been added ,, I don't see how these bubbles in a fuel bowl would stay suspended above the same liquid it is formed from ,, I could be horribly mistaken ,, if the situation is as bad as the video represents , a Holley carburetor wouldn't function IMO

A lot of the Holley carbs don't function very well. That is certainly the fault of the end user though. Some of the junk I've seen over my lifetime is baffling. And most guys think it's ok to put up with junk.

BlitzA64
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by BlitzA64 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm

https://youtu.be/zftUFW9MfrM

One bowl with a standard N/S, one with a bottom feed N/S.

Post Reply