Willy's Super Bowls

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Willy's Super Bowls

Post by In-Tech »

Nice vid Blitz and Mark. I'm curious of the hp change with the aerated fuel vs ???

Obviously better control, what fuel pressure? Small seats and high fuel pressure? Just asking and learning.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

racinnut15xm wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:47 pm
Krooser wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm A lot of the top running dirt late model guys use them...pretty unique deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVEwud70I4
Who do you know running it? I can only think of one on one of the two national tours.
A couple weeks ago a couple guys posted on their FB accounts that they had got on board with the new Willy's stuff and their dyno sessions showed a HP improvement over last year's carbs.

I looked back trying to find those posts but I get so much DLM stuff I couldn't find it. IIRC they were two Illinois racers that anyone who follows those two circuits would recognize.

I know all about hyperbole and promoting but the posts seemed to be pretty accurate. You don't make HP sucking air.... all I know is those system's are way abouve my pay grade.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

I wonder if routing a hose off the vent to clean air would make a difference,, I've been thinking about this a while for DLMs that use air filters , there must be a pressure drop inside the filter lower than atmospheric,, a hose ran outside the filter with a sufficient size breather , one of steel mesh should be enough ,, air will not flow through this but pressure will act on the fuel level
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have this set up coming soon. The only feedback I have located has been good so we'll see
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

BlitzA64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm https://youtu.be/zftUFW9MfrM

One bowl with a standard N/S, one with a bottom feed N/S.
I made this video while still at my former company. The primary bowl (on the right) actually had a top feed n/s with a .250" needle size and the secondary was a normal top feed .110". The primary n/s was run at 2 psi (low psi-hi flow) while the secondary was run at 6 psi. The difference in aeration is apparent. Once fuel aeration before the main jet is calmed down, tuning consistency and overall power always improved. Willy's bowls also reduce/eliminate aeration, just in a different way.
Mike Laws Performance
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Thanks Mike. I have retrofitted my current carb with larger bottom feed N/S and will lower pressure. I believe that will fix the issue but have ordered a new Willy deal too. My form of racing pulls a lot of corner g's, there is no limit of traction.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

The float , won't float on bubbles ,, they discovered in the Bermuda triangle natural gas being released from the floor of the ocean is most likely why ships disappear there ,, the fluid is displaced with gas and the ship drops ,, , the high flow / low pressure idea looks good ,, , I still think the vent tubes being in the path of high speed air flowing into the carb could cause a lower than atmospheric pressure in the bowl , and then an environment for the bubbles to not be broken up as quickly could occur,, I also wonder if a simple filter added after the pump could help reduce/eliminate the bubbles by having been pressed through filter media
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

In a corner , the fluid in the bowl is having centrifugal force applied ,, the level will be upset by the forces as it enters the corner but it won't remain at a step angle as depicted in the demonstration,, it will maybe on a restart if the car is stationary
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Thejiickcm
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

MANY years ago, I was part of a similar discussion with Racer Brown. He was of the opinion 1 ounce per gallon of acetone added to gas acted as a detergent to gas, breaking up the surface tension, and giving SLIGHTLY better performance/mixture consistence. I’m no chemist, but R.B. was a pretty smart guy. Anyone else ever hear of this?
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

levisnteeshirt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:59 pm Thejiickcm
Exactly! :?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

levisnteeshirt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:47 am I wonder if routing a hose off the vent to clean air would make a difference,, I've been thinking about this a while for DLMs that use air filters , there must be a pressure drop inside the filter lower than atmospheric,, a hose ran outside the filter with a sufficient size breather , one of steel mesh should be enough ,, air will not flow through this but pressure will act on the fuel level
Bad idea. RPM, state of cleanliness and inherent restriction of the filter will vary the ▲p through it vs. the ambient pressure at the external vent, which will change the internal fuel flow and unpredictably affect the AFR.

Also, the effect of flow across/into the vent tubes is a designed-in calibration variable.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Lots of good info on here!

Yes, fuel quality (as to aeration) is affected by everything from the fuel tank vent to the carb main jet. Fuel pump design matters. Fittings with smooth radii help. Less turns help. Fuel bowl internal shape (particularly around the needle/seat discharge area) is important. Fuel pressure vs flow definitely matters. Needle/seat design also matters. Do all you can to cause fuel w/o air to enter the jets at all rpm's and keep the jets covered at all times...
Mike Laws Performance
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Lucky I run a logger. The AFR went off the chart very erratic (up to 22-1) as soon as we went into the corner. Stayed crazy until on the chute the back to in the 12's. So lean it didn't melt but just beat up the rings......
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

BlitzA64 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am Lucky I run a logger. The AFR went off the chart very erratic (up to 22-1) as soon as we went into the corner. Stayed crazy until on the chute the back to in the 12's. So lean it didn't melt but just beat up the rings......
I don't think you said what kind of car or racing? This wouldn't be a dirt late model would it? if so do you have a tilted carb spacer? The amount of roll and left lift we are using in the cars are pretty dramatic.