Replacement for the Holley 660 center squirters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NormS
Vendor

Replacement for the Holley 660 center squirters

Post by NormS »

Now that Holley has discontinued the #4224 660 center squirter carb, I decided to do a little R&D to develop an upgraded alternative. As a result, I'm now able to build a double pumper carb that is the same length as the 660 center squirter, with at least the same airflow capacity. For guys who want to run an inline dual quad setup where the carb center to center distance is 8 1/2" to 9", this allows us to now use double pumper carbs, which allows for a much wider range of linkage action on each carb,than the 660 center squirter design allowed.
This makes these carbs useful for a wider range of applications. So, for tunnel rams, blowers, and other dual quad setups, like the dual quad tunnel wedge intake for the FE Fords, this approach gives the opportunity to upgrade inline style carburetion for both drivability and power. These carbs can flow from 700 to nearly 1000 cfm each, depending on which model main bodies we start with.
Is this of interest to anyone?
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Re: Replacement for the Holley 660 center squirters

Post by levisnteeshirt »

I have 1 of the 850 center squirters , need one more ,, some clowns on eBay think they're worth big money ,, I don't
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

We had a pair of those on a 452 BBC boat engine in an 18' flat bottom about 45 years ago. They worked pretty well. I don't think I've seen any since then. The double pumpers are far more popular. Depending on what the back surface of that 850 center squirter looks like, it may or may not be able to be converted to a double pumper.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... w&id=21019
https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... w&id=21019

Here's a couple of my "short" double pumpers. The side shot one is 930 CFM. The overhead shot one 980 CFM.
These can be made to fit INLINE on a dual quad intake, with carb spacing as little as 7 7/8", with the side pivot bowls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Norm, it says attachment gone. I'd like to have a look at it when you get a chance. efisystems@excite.com
Thanks

edit
Oh, there it is now. Looks good Norm =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

The idea is to have double pumper dual quad inline carburetion, that is a compact setup with plenty of potential flow. I have similar dual quad sets making nearly 1000HP on normally aspirated engines. The inline configuration is also better from the standpoint of carb linkage...much simpler that for sideways mounted dual quads. Norm/CFS
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

NormS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:38 am The idea is to have double pumper dual quad inline carburetion, that is a compact setup with plenty of potential flow. I have similar dual quad sets making nearly 1000HP on normally aspirated engines. The inline configuration is also better from the standpoint of carb linkage...much simpler that for sideways mounted dual quads. Norm/CFS
So you are currently building these now?
I might be interested in a 660 sized 4160 DP to replace my front 4160 vac. secondary carb I'm running in the front position.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

Yes,I'm building these now. Another alternative might be to replace your 660 center squirter with a 'short" double pumper, and link the primaries of the 2 carbs together, and allow the progressive linkage on the double pumper to bring in the secondaries on that carb, and then have the secondaries on the vacuum secondary carb roll in.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

back in the 60s I build my own 4 shooter using this device I built using a 1:1 linkage and a 50 cc pump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

I think Mr Gasket made a similar piece back in those days.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

on the ones I wanted to hide the 4 shooter for tech inspection I ran a brass tube back to the center of the carb and used the air cleaner boss as the squirter by drilling holes in it. I did AFB carbs the same way. :D
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... w&id=21022

Here's another configuration(first picture) using the side pivot bowls only where they are needed for clearance. This is handy when using the 600 or 650 double pumpers with 7.875-8.5" carb spacing.

Here's another configuration(second picture) using the side pivot bowls only where they are needed for clearance. This is handy when using the 600 or 650 double pumpers with 8.5-9" carb spacing.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... w&id=21024
Last edited by NormS on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Interesting, good stuff....
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Norm: have you tried turning one carb aRound so that the short sec sides face each other? More complicated linkage. Closer carb centers spacing on the intake.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

You can turn one carb body around on the baseplate to get down to the 7.875" spacing, but it does eliminate the primary end power valve on that carb... not so good for street applications. But this would work well for drag racing, boats, etc. with some extra calibration changes.