Ugh: One bad SBC block head thread

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert
Ugh: One bad SBC block head thread

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

The "Newb" part of my forum name is there for a reason.

I finished the bottom-end rebuild of my SBC last weekend and yesterday I cleaned up my new head studs, added ARP thread sealant to the bottom threads and started installing them. Everything went "by-the-book" except for one thread that started to get pretty tight after screwing it in 3/4s of the way, I used the alan-head to tighten it in all the way thinking that tightening it in all the way and then pulling it back out might pushout whatever leftover crud was in the bottom. (Bad idea, I now know).

The stud REALLY didn't want to back out and the alan head of the stud got rounded off- then I attached my vice grips to the center of the stud to try and get it out of the block (the only tool I had that I could use).

Now I need to locate 1 new short stud, AND I need to figure out what to do with the messed up threads in the block: Anyone think that a simple thread chaser is going to work here or should I just go straight to a tap? (What specs for the chaser / tap?)

Is ARP thread sealant still likely to seal it once I'm done with the thread chaser/ tap or do I need to go with something more "heavy duty" for this stud?

Adam
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Ugh: One bad SBC block head thread

Post by mag2555 »

Basic rule of Thumb with head bolts or studs or the same with main cap hardware is that they need to go in with finger force only, especially if your using bolts and want to get correct torque levels!
if this can not take place with new hardware that has good threads then it time to get hold of the needed size bottom tap.
Before you use the tap you need to roll over the end of the cutting edges a tad do you just clean out the threads , not cut what's there bigger.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am The "Newb" part of my forum name is there for a reason.

I finished the bottom-end rebuild of my SBC last weekend and yesterday I cleaned up my new head studs, added ARP thread sealant to the bottom threads and started installing them. Everything went "by-the-book" except for one thread that started to get pretty tight after screwing it in 3/4s of the way, I used the alan-head to tighten it in all the way thinking that tightening it in all the way and then pulling it back out might pushout whatever leftover crud was in the bottom. (Bad idea, I now know).

The stud REALLY didn't want to back out and the alan head of the stud got rounded off- then I attached my vice grips to the center of the stud to try and get it out of the block (the only tool I had that I could use).

Now I need to locate 1 new short stud, AND I need to figure out what to do with the messed up threads in the block: Anyone think that a simple thread chaser is going to work here or should I just go straight to a tap? (What specs for the chaser / tap?)

Is ARP thread sealant still likely to seal it once I'm done with the thread chaser/ tap or do I need to go with something more "heavy duty" for this stud?

Adam
Use a QUALITY bottom tap and make sure you blow all the crap out of the bottom of the hole. You really need a nozzle that will go to the bottom of the hole to do it right.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

ClassAct wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am The "Newb" part of my forum name is there for a reason.

Adam
Use a QUALITY bottom tap and make sure you blow all the crap out of the bottom of the hole. You really need a nozzle that will go to the bottom of the hole to do it right.
I bought ARP's 7/ 16 -14 tap this morning.

My understanding is that all of the head bolt holes in an SBC 350 go into the water jacket. I've already got all the freeze plugs installed but after running the tap through it I can rotate the block upside down in the engine stand and blow it out real good through the holes in the top of the block...

Adam
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:01 pm
ClassAct wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Adam
I bought ARP's 7/ 16 -14 tap this morning.

My understanding is that all of the head bolt holes in an SBC 350 go into the water jacket. I've already got all the freeze plugs installed but after running the tap through it I can rotate the block upside down in the engine stand and blow it out real good through the holes in the top of the block...

Adam
You are correct. For some reason I decided, in my head you had an aftermarket block which would have blind head bolt holes.

You can catch most of the crap that you are removing with the tap if you put some grease in the flutes of the tap.mthat will reduce the junk falling into the bloc by probably 95%.

This is why even psychologists don't want to look inside my head. I make shit up that seems right to me!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The Vortec block I assembled a few months ago (GM "880" casting) had blind head bolt holes for the top row of four bolts on each deck.

I used sealer on those threads too--just to keep the lubricity the same on all head bolts.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Schurkey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:35 pm The Vortec block I assembled a few months ago (GM "880" casting) had blind head bolt holes for the top row of four bolts on each deck.

I used sealer on those threads too--just to keep the lubricity the same on all head bolts.
Awesome. I was expecting that some holes were blind and was planning on doing the same. Then I checked and realized that they ALL go into the water jacket.

Adam
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Just helicoil it and be done with it. Make a jig out of a thick piece of steel for the tap drill to stay straight. 1 1/2” or so thick. Then drill the jig block out to keep the helicoil tap straight.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

In this situation or any other Clean and tap all holes as you are cleaning the block. Whenever a thread gets tight before it should stop and fix it then. Don't continue on and try to make up for it later. If you ran a tap through sealer consider the sealer ineffective. Clean the goop off the tap, retap with some type of solvent on the tap and reclean the tap again. If there is 1 thing more than anything else that people screw up is that they will not stop when they hit a problem.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Ain't that the truth :lol: :lol:

Thoses of us that do this stuff all day for a living see our fair share and in some areas more then our fair share of dumb mistakes cause guys are in a hurry or just do not know any better.
There has been more screwed up bolt holes from guys installing head studs and since ARP has added a hex drive in their studs guys just ram then in the holes without giving them a 2nd thought.

I have an import block here that is hard to locate and pricey as well but the owner thought he would just put the studs in himself. he oiled the threads in the block and the threads of the stud as well and ramed them in cracking 4 of the 10
holes in the block from hydraulic pressure trying to squeeze the oil past the threads.

Ya can't fix stupid #-o ............but you can invoice for it =D> =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors