Ignition coil question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: Ignition coil question

Post by ClassAct »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 am Are you using conventional fat center electrode spark plugs?

Or fine-wire electrode $park plug$?
I love them things, and I am a cheap bastidge.

I agree. A fine wire plug would help the OP big time.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I'm using NGK non resistor competiton with the normal sized electrodes and cut back ground strap.. I used to run NGK G fine wire plugs in my race bikes...Some guys here said they aren't so good...switched to the competition plugs.....Anyways, NGK doesn't have fine wire non resistor plugs in the #7 heat range ....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm I'm using NGK non resistor competiton with the normal sized electrodes and cut back ground strap.. I used to run NGK G fine wire plugs in my race bikes...Some guys here said they aren't so good...switched to the competition plugs.....Anyways, NGK doesn't have fine wire non resistor plugs in the #7 heat range ....

Seems wierd as NGK used to have a lot of plug that had a fine wire and were non resister. I haven't used an NGK plug since about 1975 so that may have changed.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

You planning to use 6V ignition coils as shown in the illustration?

6V systems were already out-of-style by the time I came along. What makes them different from 12V coils?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Schurkey wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:32 pm You planning to use 6V ignition coils as shown in the illustration?

6V systems were already out-of-style by the time I came along. What makes them different from 12V coils?
Do not think of it as 6 volts, think of it as a combined 3.8 ohms.The bike is 12 volts....They could have also used a dual outlet 4 ohm coil but Lucas made canister coils. On the wiring diagram, the coil gets 12 volts feed to it...and the trigger is on the negative of the second coil....I suppose Ford TFI's or even GM HEI modules could carry the current and the Lucas becomes just a trigger....Like running a MSD off points. but I don't know if the Lucas will function properly without the load the coil provide..
I'm thinking a Harley dual outlet 4 ohm performance coil should have more than enough energy to do the job without over complicating things...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire