It don’t matter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
It don’t matter

Post by 1972ho »

http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/1276 ... decade-ago As far as which motor oil you use and long as the viscosity is right.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: It don’t matter

Post by GARY C »

For the most part that is true, If that is the test where they used taxi cabs they did say their test could not confirm cold start or performance engine conditions and newer VVT and cylinder disable are sensitive to oil weight.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

First off, consumer reports is about worthless. As for the article, I didn't read it because it has nothing to do with performance. It was junk daily driver junk.

Second, I've tested enough oil to know they all are not the same. Cheap oil is cheap and that's the best you can say about it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm First off, consumer reports is about worthless. As for the article, I didn't read it because it has nothing to do with performance. It was junk daily driver junk.

Second, I've tested enough oil to know they all are not the same. Cheap oil is cheap and that's the best you can say about it.
Can you share your test procedures, length of tests for each oil and your findings?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I have used Blackstone many times, and for daily driver stuff I believe that they are correct. That is not applicable for towing race trailers up mountain grades at elevated temps. and I firmly believe that it is not applicable to high RPM race engines. But, each of us pays our money for what we each feel gives us the best value. I said value, not price. They are rarely the same.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

novafornow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 pm I have used Blackstone many times, and for daily driver stuff I believe that they are correct. That is not applicable for towing race trailers up mountain grades at elevated temps. and I firmly believe that it is not applicable to high RPM race engines. But, each of us pays our money for what we each feel gives us the best value. I said value, not price. They are rarely the same.
Yes there are enough good oils out there now days that trying to save a dollar makes no sense, In the one test I saw they detailed 100 engines in NY Taxi Cabs and ran them 75,000 miles because they almost never turn the cars off and sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go is considered hard on oil life and the only measurable wear was non certified and recycled oils and even those were almost unmeasurable.

It could have been 75 taxi's for 100,000 miles.
Please Note!
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

My wife's car has gone 215,000 miles on nothing but Walmart Supertech, changed every 7500-10,000 miles. Doesn't use more than 1/2 a quart in that time and still runs fine. I have no idea what the inside looks like but I'm curious and will take a peek when it finally dies lol.

As far as performance I'd be surprised if there was more than a 1-2% percent difference in HP between crappy oil compared to a top tier Amsoil for instance. Going from a dino to synthetic might be a little more. There is more to be gained by using a thinner viscosity if able than any additive differences between oil brands. Oil cleanliness is much more a factor in today's oils in reducing wear than the brand.
cab0154
Pro
Pro

Post by cab0154 »

A buddy of mine tried that with his wifes lexus. He was running M1 0w20, but thought why not run the cheaper walmart stuff. It says its the same. With M1 the car was doing fine on 10k mile OCIs. 1,500 miles on the oil the engine started making a knock noise. So he went for broke and just changed the oil again back to M1 and problem gone. So I would not go so far as to say brand doesnt matter.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

You wont beat anyone if you do everything the same as everyone.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Roundybout wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm My wife's car has gone 215,000 miles on nothing but Walmart Supertech, changed every 7500-10,000 miles. Doesn't use more than 1/2 a quart in that time and still runs fine. I have no idea what the inside looks like but I'm curious and will take a peek when it finally dies lol.

As far as performance I'd be surprised if there was more than a 1-2% percent difference in HP between crappy oil compared to a top tier Amsoil for instance. Going from a dino to synthetic might be a little more. There is more to be gained by using a thinner viscosity if able than any additive differences between oil brands. Oil cleanliness is much more a factor in today's oils in reducing wear than the brand.

It depends on the engine but it's not hard to find 10-15 HP with a good oil. There are more good oils now than ever before. I don't consider Amsoil one of them. Even if you find 5 HP, where did it come from? It has to come from reduced friction. Anyone testing oils of different grades is a fool.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

BTOG called.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

cab0154 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 pm A buddy of mine tried that with his wifes lexus. He was running M1 0w20, but thought why not run the cheaper walmart stuff. It says its the same. With M1 the car was doing fine on 10k mile OCIs. 1,500 miles on the oil the engine started making a knock noise. So he went for broke and just changed the oil again back to M1 and problem gone. So I would not go so far as to say brand doesnt matter.
I don't know the car but the 0w20 makes me think it has either VVT or cylinder disable capability or both... Some time back talking to Brian with BND about his own custom blended oils he said that regardless of how good the oil was if he got past about a 3w27 his cylinder disable system (Dodge Hemi) would start acting up.
Please Note!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 pm
Roundybout wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm My wife's car has gone 215,000 miles on nothing but Walmart Supertech, changed every 7500-10,000 miles. Doesn't use more than 1/2 a quart in that time and still runs fine. I have no idea what the inside looks like but I'm curious and will take a peek when it finally dies lol.

It depends on the engine but it's not hard to find 10-15 HP with a good oil. There are more good oils now than ever before. I don't consider Amsoil one of them. Even if you find 5 HP, where did it come from? It has to come from reduced friction. Anyone testing oils of different grades is a fool.
I don't know if it's legal to bet here but if it is I will give you $1000.00 dollars if you can prove 10-15 horse power on oil alone with the average performance build!

I have seen the claims and I have changed oil on the dyno and 0 to .5 would be more likely the power gain seen on average.

DV and others claim 5 hp from Oil Extreme... So where did it come from?
Please Note!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:19 pm BTOG called.
BTOG? Big Tongue Oppress Girls?
Please Note!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't know if it's legal to bet here but if it is I will give you $1000.00 dollars if you can prove 10-15 horse power on oil alone with the average performance build!

I have seen the claims and I have changed oil on the dyno and 0 to .5 would be more likely the power gain seen on average.

It will cost you more than 1k to test oil. The top 5 oils are less than 2 HP apart. The other oils there is plenty to be found. I've seen some horrible test methods where a junk oil is very close to the test oil because the test was improperly conducted.

You see power gains where you have bushed rockers rather than needle bearings (there is still power there) and things like triple springs will find HP with good oils. You also see much longer valve spring life. But no one likes to talk about that.

So gather up your cash and do your own testing. It's not cheap. Or just keep running Walmart shit and tell us how good it is.

And I don't know what DV is peddling. If it's an additive I won't even test it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:09 am
GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 pm

It will cost you more than 1k to test oil. The top 5 oils are less than 2 HP apart. The other oils there is plenty to be found. I've seen some horrible test methods where a junk oil is very close to the test oil because the test was improperly conducted.

You see power gains where you have bushed rockers rather than needle bearings (there is still power there) and things like triple springs will find HP with good oils. You also see much longer valve spring life. But no one likes to talk about that.

So gather up your cash and do your own testing. It's not cheap. Or just keep running Walmart shit and tell us how good it is.

And I don't know what DV is peddling. If it's an additive I won't even test it.
Why do you think I was willing to put money on the line to challenge your claim?

You have made 2 statements in this thread alone of what you don't know that you want even look at because you have already drawn a conclusion... So should anyone trust what you say about oil testing?

Why do you assume I have ever run walmart oil? I didn't even know they made oil, do they make oil?

When did I say Walmart oil was good... It seems we have been through the "you like to put words in people mouth" discussion before!

BTW, your opening line here of 2 hp is closer to what the best oil tests have shown (DV/Driven/UPM/BND/Mobil1 with oil extreme) 2 hp would be on the high side for average power gain and what were they tested against?

What oil would you have to use to loose 10 to 15 hp?
Please Note!