Recommend a tunnel ram/carb BBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Re: Recommend a tunnel ram/carb BBC

Post by Little Mouse »

My mistake then saw one go across auction block scottsdale said it was 68 nhra super stock winner had a cross ram on it. Talking to guys from trans am past they said engine picked up 70 hp with the cross ram on small 302. Only thing replaced the cross ram for 413/426 nax wedge and there hemi was a tunnel ram. Dual planes are worthless on a high strung race engine.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Lots of cars run way quicker then 11:20 with no dual plane, some dual plane cars have run far quicker then 11.20, so whats your point you have none. If you read my posts payed attention. I said i would be buying another vette had 4 in the past when younger. Hard to run any time in a vette when you dont have one.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Little Mouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:22 pm My mistake then saw one go across auction block scottsdale said it was 68 nhra super stock winner had a cross ram on it. Talking to guys from trans am past they said engine picked up 70 hp with the cross ram on small 302. Only thing replaced the cross ram for 413/426 max wedge and there hemi was a tunnel ram. Dual planes are worthless on a high strung race engine.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Newold this ones going down the track..it can already lift the front tire as it is, hes not a poser.
Doesnt care if one manifold is a tenth quicker/slower..come on part of an old rod is having some attitude. When he gets bored he will do some stacks, a blower etc.
Hot rodding...where practical isnt part of the vocabulary
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:16 pm The sbc cross ram makes no power at 9000 rpm.
The runners are too long. And they are out of phase and too small at 9000 rpm.

The eddy dual quad RPM will make more horsepower.
But need not run at 9000 rpm to do it.
Will need big carbs and spacers not 500 cfm carbs.
At a few rpm points in the upper mid range the cross ram may momentarily make a hair more power but overall the RPM dual quad 2x4 will kill the sbc cross ram.
But its a good intake and can be made much better for street with modern carbs and thinking.

Reving the hell out of it is not the same as making more power. That dual quad RPM will rev plenty high up.
You should try one out with a pair of 650 AVS2 carbs + spacers on a real motor. Use 2x750's if you want absolute max power on it. Use the 650’s on your. I don't want you to scare yourself too badly.
From 4500 on up to what rpm say 8 grand if you like the cross ram will make lots more power. A plenium is bassicly an air storage place and as i stated has one very big amount of plenium area. It wont run out of air thats for sure. Under 4500 rpm are pickup truck rpms and where 90 percent of street cars are driven as in not full throttle. Reason all production cars abd pickups came with a dual plane and makes perfect sense for that to be done. But high power or racing is not done at low rpms.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

cuisinartvette wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:10 pm Newold this ones going down the track..it can already lift the front tire as it is, hes not a poser.
Doesnt care if one manifold is a tenth quicker/slower..come on part of an old rod is having some attitude. When he gets bored he will do some stacks, a blower etc.
Hot rodding...where practical isnt part of the vocabulary
Real hot rodders never change regardless of age. 61 rode an enduro dirt bike motorcycle dfw to cali at the coast stopped in mcdonalds. Guy comes in had seen my texas plates told him averaging 800 miles a day. He says damn most people ride those 200 miles. I did average 800 miles a day over the 3600 miles i rode it on the trip.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Did not mean to infer he was a poser in total. In your original post you sort of inferred he was looking for some "bling" as well. The tunnel ram and carbs in chrome I mentioned were for both. Chrome and bling does not slow a race car it just makes it easier to spot! That manifold setup and properly spec'd and tuned Holley carbs will get him down the track nicely provided the engine and chassis under them will get the job done. If he is only looking for speed and performance,why is he racing an ambulance with only a 454 and old iron oval port heads?? :lol:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Its a 31 panel, friend told me awhile back he thought it was an ambulance of some type...