dodge cummins head porting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
dodge cummins head porting

Post by rebelrouser »

Any of you guys do any head porting on diesels? I just did a valve job and mild bowl porting on a 12 valve Cummins head, I came up with a about a 15% improvement on the intake side and a 3% improvement on the exhaust. Didn't spend a lot of time, and I read that you need to cut off the intake to get the two end cylinders anyway. On gas engines I shoot for 70% exhaust flow compared to the intake flow, this diesel comes in around 95 percent. Looking at the valve sizes and the fact that its a turbo engine, this makes sense. I am fairly pleased with the results, What kind of experience do you guys have that port these heads?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: dodge cummins head porting

Post by mag2555 »

Now bolt up the Exh Manifold and check what the Exh flows!

Recently I did a flow test on head on a gas motors Exh side , all I did was clean up the normal carbon and rust scale that takes place and picked up a total of 16 cfm between .200" lift and .450" lift, this was with only a 80 grit sanding roll and the port is no more then 3 inches long overall.

Here's the before and after shots and as you can see it's no where near fully cleaned up and polished, in fact I did not even really even roll over the edge of the unused air injection boss!

Just think of what flow is lost in the Exh Manifold with the far greater wall area that they have!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!