Long post...What is needed to get this junk into the mid 12’s?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Long post...What is needed to get this junk into the mid 12’s?

Post by travis »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:51 pm Oh yes a complete revamp. Glad u got it sorted out. Sounds like she quite a bit better now. Its good his budget opened up to get it done.
It was under protest, I can assure you :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

travis wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:04 am So my friend ended up with a custom FTI convertor...a tweaked version of their 4000 stall "hard hitting" 9.5" unit. He said it drives no worse at part throttle than the 11" 2400 stall convertor in his truck, but hammer the throttle and it is an entirely new animal now! Traction has become an issue now...where before with his good motor it would dead hook to 11.70's on the slicks, now he has to peddle it quite a bit to get it off the line without spinning the slicks. He got 4 passes during TNT...12.38@116 right off the bat, 12.44@116, then a partially aborted 15.71, followed by a almost idling 19.something :lol: He said the track was going to shit as the night went on and the car was getting really sketchy.

He did say that the car seems to have picked up power everywhere over his old, good motor, at least by his SOTP meter. We shall see I guess.
May just be a bad track unless his slicks are old.

I can show you some pretty simple cheep tricks to get a leaf spring car to hook.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The humidity was really high that night....he said once the sun went down and the temps dropped everything started getting wet from condensation. Plus there was a lot of street tires cars there and no track prep.

He’s got cal-tracks and adjustable shocks front and rear, so he is going to play with that. The slicks are almost new.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

travis wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:20 pm The humidity was really high that night....he said once the sun went down and the temps dropped everything started getting wet from condensation. Plus there was a lot of street tires cars there and no track prep.

He’s got cal-tracks and adjustable shocks front and rear, so he is going to play with that. The slicks are almost new.
Yes, he has what he needs, just sounds like he needs some track time to dial it in. My nova required a little weight ballast on the right rear to get the car equal on al 4 tires with me in it and it actually et'ed better if the travel limiters were set to where the tire would make about 1 revolution as opposed to dead hooking, probably due to the tight converter.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!