Comp Cams Dual Conical SR Valve Springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2omike
Guru
Guru

Comp Cams Dual Conical SR Valve Springs

Post by n2omike »

I did a quick glance, and haven't seen this topic... But, does anyone have any input regarding these?

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Comp Cams Dual Conical SR Valve Springs

Post by Newold1 »

We did a 572 BBC with these springs on a mild low lash solid roller camshaft with about .750" lift at the valves. We used stainless hollow stem valves and the Comp tool steel small retainers. The springs measured about 200lbs on the seat @ 1.950" and about 625lbs open at 1.200". The customer did not have the budget for all titanium valves and retainers and this setup keep the valve train costs down and still lets this motor rev nicely to 7500 rpms without any valve train harmonics or float. I like these conical springs especially the dual sets that will handle more cam on solids and yet keep the sprung weights of the hollow stem valves and retainers down to allow higher rpm control on larger BBC valves.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

n2omike wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 pm I did a quick glance, and haven't seen this topic... But, does anyone have any input regarding these?

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=

I have not used dual conicals from Comp. In 2001, I did use some manufactured by Eibach, supplied to me by Dave Crower. Those had 180# on the seat and 680# open. Lift at the valve was in the .770" range, 5/16" stem titanium valves. Engine was in a NASACR Craftsman truck, ran it at Memphis Motorsports Park in the 2001 race. Ran it against a 10,000 rpm chip in qualifying, 9900 in race trim. That was about 700 rpm more than anything we had done before.

If we had known then what we know now(6mm stems, stiffer pushrods, steel rockers, better lobes, etc.), we certainly could have ran even more rpm. We sent the stuff to a major NASCAR shop at that time for them to Spintron test, they would not spin the stuff because it "only" had 180# on the seat. They said no way it could work, now I believe they are around 85-90lbs of seat pressure.

Definitely sold me on the dual conical design just could not procure anymore. Several years later, I talked to Osborne at PAC and he agreed a dual conical was a superior design, but he stated they were hard to manufacture. Apparently, Comp has figured out a practical way to build them.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

I've used them before and they worked great for me. I have them on a 700 hp bracket race engine at the moment. I did a writeup for Hot Rod on the subject: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-te ... e-springs/
Andy F.
AR Engineering
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

I think you would be better off with a smaller diameter PSI springs
That spring is 1.442" at the top, and 1.657" at the bottom.
It's 150 @2.00", 630 @1.200", and a 1.115" Coilbind

You'd be better off, going with a spring that gets the overall weight of the spring down.
PSI # CT1575ML: 1.400" Diameter at both ends
It's 150 @2.00", 625 @1.150", and a 1.100" Coilbind
With the reduction in spring weight, you don't need as much spring rate to control the valve, and lower spring rate causes less valvetrain flex.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Without firsthand Spintron experience for a particular combination, how would someone determine whether a smaller & lighter spring package is sufficient to replace a known standard spring setup?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BradH wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:35 pm Without firsthand Spintron experience for a particular combination, how would someone determine whether a smaller & lighter spring package is sufficient to replace a known standard spring setup?
Years of spintron experience has shown in multiple applications, that lightening the weight of the spring itself, has reduced the load requirements to control the valvetrain, and reduced valvetrain deflection.

Could there be exceptions? sure.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

CamKing wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm
BradH wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:35 pm Without firsthand Spintron experience for a particular combination, how would someone determine whether a smaller & lighter spring package is sufficient to replace a known standard spring setup?
Years of spintron experience has shown in multiple applications, that lightening the weight of the spring itself, has reduced the load requirements to control the valvetrain, and reduced valvetrain deflection.

Not arguing the benefits; asking how does someone know they've chosen the correct spring when they "downsize"?

I'm a$$uming speaking directly to the spring company or another source with experience using the smaller spring package, but didn't know what else would need to be taken into account.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BradH wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:52 pm
CamKing wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Not arguing the benefits; asking how does someone know they've chosen the correct spring when they "downsize"?

I'm a$$uming speaking directly to the spring company or another source with experience using the smaller spring package, but didn't know what else would need to be taken into account.
They would need to know the weights of all of the valvetrain, rocker ratios, and acceleration rates of the cam profiles.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

What about the difference in life of the springs
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

https://youtu.be/uHw3mWYgO6M

David Vizard has a video on these
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

stealth wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 pm https://youtu.be/uHw3mWYgO6M

David Vizard has a video on these
GM have used beehives as far back as the mid 1950's on the Olds V8
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

digger wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:27 pm What about the difference in life of the springs
The PSI 1575 lasts longer then most springs we've run in circle track,
The Comp spring, I have never tested, but may depend on what Chinese company is making it for them. :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

CamKing wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 am
digger wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:27 pm What about the difference in life of the springs
The Comp spring, I have never tested, but may depend on what Chinese company is making it for them. :lol:
I was just about to ask about the quality of said springs and Comp in general these days- I don't know much but personally I don't go out of my way for their product.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

dfarr67 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am
CamKing wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:04 am
I was just about to ask about the quality of said springs and Comp in general these days- I don't know much but personally I don't go out of my way for their product.
Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot. Some of their suppliers make great quality parts. Others, not so much.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449