Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: Simple Tunnel ram Question

Post by digger »

Tuner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm
digger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 am
Tuner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 am I've been trying to discuss gravity's effect on vertical acceleration.
You are failing to look at all the vertical forces though
What are they? Name them. Define them. List the ones I have omitted.
You are not including the buoyancy force which is equal and opposite to gravity force thus cancels it out
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

digger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 am You are failing to look at all the vertical forces though
Tuner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm What are they? Name them. Define them. List the ones I have omitted.
digger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm You are not including the buoyancy force which is equal and opposite to gravity force thus cancels it out
It is a bit more complicated than this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

Tuner was pointing to a reduced or depressed local atmosphere which would display a lower pressure gradient. He is then considering a parcel or ensemble of particles/molecules that at a given point in time have a higher average density than that of the local atmosphere they are moving into. The acceleration due to gravity would then exceed the buoyancy force.

The counter is that the parcel is mixing with the local atmosphere and interacting with the molecules.

The counter is then that the mixing is not simultaneous across the boundaries of the parcel.

Another counter is that the parcel is not a valid construct...

And so it goes. Meanwhile, engineers like to have workable or pragmatic solutions to problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simplifications of the physics are so ingrained now in everyday life that they are ignored. Sometimes what is considered normal physics is deadly as when mine shafts contain stratified layers of deadly gases or inversions in lakes release large and also deadly quantities of carbon dioxide. http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscur ... f_co2.html

:lol: Yes, I know, more B.S. Saved you some trouble... :lol:
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 pm
digger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 am You are failing to look at all the vertical forces though
Tuner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 pm What are they? Name them. Define them. List the ones I have omitted.
digger wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 pm You are not including the buoyancy force which is equal and opposite to gravity force thus cancels it out

Tuner was pointing to a reduced or depressed local atmosphere which would display a lower pressure gradient. He is then considering a parcel or ensemble of particles/molecules that at a given point in time have a higher average density than that of the local atmosphere they are moving into. The acceleration due to gravity would then exceed the buoyancy force.

The counter is that the parcel is mixing with the local atmosphere and interacting with the molecules.

The counter is then that the mixing is not simultaneous across the boundaries of the parcel.

And so it goes. Meanwhile, engineers like to have workable or pragmatic solutions to problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simplifications of the physics are so ingrained now in everyday life that they are ignored. Sometimes what is considered normal physics is deadly as when mine shafts contain stratified layers of deadly gases or inversions in lakes release large and also deadly quantities of carbon dioxide. http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscur ... f_co2.html

Great post. I’ve been thinking about how to say what you said in the first part of your post and have it be easily understandable by everyone. You did it though. Nice. The bottom line is, there is a lot going on. One of the legacy engineers at work that has been doing finite element analysis (structural, CFD, thermal, electrical) said something early in my career when helping me setup a complex model. I said “I want to make the model realistic”. He’s said “well it turns out that reality is pretty complicated”. That will always stick with me.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Diagram your theory and do an order of magnitude rough estimate of the consequences please.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

GRTfast wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:46 pm...One of the legacy engineers at work that has been doing finite element analysis (structural, CFD, thermal, electrical) said something early in my career when helping me setup a complex model. I said “I want to make the model realistic”. He’s said “well it turns out that reality is pretty complicated”. That will always stick with me.
"Analysis paralysis" I think is used.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

General relativity states that if gravity isn't a force, it can't accelerate objects. And any acceleration due to gravity isn't proper acceleration. It's considered coordinate acceleration.

So how does that come into play if proper acceleration isn't produced by gravity?

You guys lost me when it quit being 'simple'. I just thought I'd throw that in after reading it somewhere. Lol
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"drop" a dense pocket of air into "vacuum" hypothetically s, after 1 foot accelerating at 1g it is travelling at most 2.4m/s. this is compared to being accelerated to 150-180m/s due to pressure ratio. so its a small effect even in this unrealsitic case. In reality is there is a gradient within the runner so you are not going to have a small pocket of highly dense air in a low dense air field. so the effect is going to be even more neglibile in the overall scheme.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

digger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:47 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"drop" a dense pocket of air into "vacuum" hypothetically s, after 1 foot accelerating at 1g it is travelling at most 2.4m/s. this is compared to being accelerated to 150-180m/s due to pressure ratio. so its a small effect even in this unrealsitic case. In reality is there is a gradient within the runner so you are not going to have a small pocket of highly dense air in a low dense air field. so the effect is going to be even more neglibile in the overall scheme.
Agreed.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Wait, I did the math, 180m/s is nearly 400 mph, is that correct? :shock:

But that's in pure vacuum, with zero friction assumed, so we are in the real world not close to that, and gravity "contribution" mentioned is fairly close, correct again?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

j-c-c wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm Wait, I did the math, 180m/s is nearly 400 mph, is that correct? :shock:

But that's in pure vacuum, with zero friction assumed, so we are in the real world not close to that, and gravity "contribution" mentioned is fairly close, correct again?
180m/s = 0.52 mach
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

We have gone through a goodly number of compressors and I have put the old tanks on one side of the shop to act as buffers/storage. The two compressors I am currently using are on the other side. They communicate with a long overhead pipe to a local manifold.

I shut down the compressors every day and close the main tank valves. Overnight, leaks in the various hoses/fittings bleed out the storage tanks to ambient. Every day when I open the main tank valves I get to hear the mad rush of air molecules racing across the shop from about 10 bar pressure (145psi) to 1 bar (14.5psi).
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

digger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:47 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well now, finally a breath of fresh air, somebody gets it. Thank you. Someone else with the mathematical inclination to do so, calculate the the percentage of acceleration gravity supplies to the overall acceleration of the air mass. In racing where 1 % can be significant, 2 % is nothing to ignore. 150/2.4 = 62.5 1/62.5 = 0.016, so 1.6 %.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Here's a real-world test that should brook no "ya buts": Big, high-power competition two stroke chainsaw engine with the typical diaphragm-type carb that can operate in any orientation. Fit the saw with a longish straight intake stack and optimize fueling on a precision dyno with the inlet pointing straight up. Now flip it upside down and re-optimize with the inlet pointing straight down. Report results.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Tuner wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 pm Well now, finally a breath of fresh air, somebody gets it. Thank you. Someone else with the mathematical inclination to do so, calculate the the percentage of acceleration gravity supplies to the overall acceleration of the air mass. In racing where 1 % can be significant, 2 % is nothing to ignore. 150/2.4 = 62.5 1/62.5 = 0.016, so 1.6 %.
I ran a test far more sensitive than 1%, it showed nothing.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

The thing all of you are forgetting to factor in is the effect of a Magnetic Controlled Flat Earth!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!