Thread engagement

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Thread engagement

Post by Walter R. Malik »

It make little sense to use a bolt or stud which takes more torque to stretch it, than the metal it is going into will handle.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am It make little sense to use a bolt or stud which takes more torque to stretch it, than the metal it is going into will handle.
Absolutely right.

Another consideration is the radial thread clearance in the block, especially if it is aluminum and has been rebuilt a few times. Spark plug threads are also often excessively worn which will affect thermal transfer.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The quick rule of thumb I was taught (thread engagement into engine castings)

1.5 X the bolt diameter into cast iron
2 X the bolt diameter into aluminum
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am It make little sense to use a bolt or stud which takes more torque to stretch it, than the metal it is going into will handle.
True, but cost is the only downside to using the higher grade fastener. The modulus is the same so the stretch will be the same at a given torque.
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:32 pm The quick rule of thumb I was taught (thread engagement into engine castings)

It’s been 40 years or so since I’ve been in class but I thought the general rule was 3 diameters thread into alum and 2 into ferrus metals.

I can easily be wrong.

But the OP needs to contact his supplier as I suspect he has the wrong set for his application.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Grade 12.9 into aluminium can work well less than 2d but it is heavily dependent on if it's cast, wrought or extruded etc and the grade, grain direction and how many times it's going to be used. Never use fine threads.

The simplest way to judge is to look up the mechanical properties and find the UTS. There are more reliable ways such as "true UTS" as oppposed to "engineering UTS" that's normally quoted
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wouldn't the yield strength be a better yardstick?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

MadBill wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 pm Wouldn't the yield strength be a better yardstick?
No there was zero correlation with yield. I did my thesis on this in 4 grades of aluminium with hand calculations, fea and instrumented testing to correlate. A properly torqued bolted assembly has plasticity involved such that any assumption about linear behaviour are not accurate. This affects the load distribution on each thread which is heavily non linear (load dependent). When you deal with plasticity you need true stress and strain curves. Engineering stress and strain becomes less accurate the more plasticity there is. UTS was an ok predictor but when you have real mechanical properties everything falls into line
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

70MC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 am ...
With the factory heads and bolts I had about (i am guessing from memory) 7/8 to an inch thread engagement and now have 1/2 to 5/8. ...
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12367779.html gives the length of the stock bolts that were presumably used on your crate motor originally. Hope this helps in your quest.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I can not imagine ever using a bolt ( except on hi end con-rods ) where a stud (could be used) for multiple reasons. Mark H.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

swampbuggy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm I can not imagine ever using a bolt ( except on hi end con-rods ) where a stud (could be used) for multiple reasons. Mark H.
That is easy -- path of insertion of a retained component or limited space in the neighborhood of the fastener end. I guess you could then argue poor component or packaging design.

Aside: When designing removable oral bridgework, path of insertion and being removable by the patient without having to dislocate the jaw are top concerns. It is surprising the amount of interdisciplinary crossover there is.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

CharlieB53 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm
Keith Morganstein wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:32 pm The quick rule of thumb I was taught (thread engagement into engine castings)

It’s been 40 years or so since I’ve been in class but I thought the general rule was 3 diameters thread into alum and 2 into ferrus metals.

I can easily be wrong.

But the OP needs to contact his supplier as I suspect he has the wrong set for his application.
Charlie, I have been in contact with them many times, about bolts and now studs. I called yesterday and the day before, I wanted to talk to different techs to get differing thoughts to what was an acceptable thread engagement and to ask what part number I needed for studs. Both techs (Art, and the other was Zach I think) thought 1/2 inch thread engagement for bolts was sufficient. There was a few different part numbers for studs that I saw for BBC and AFR heads, so I asked what was different. One kit had 3/4 inch threads that threaded into the deck and the other was an inch. My block is a Bowtie block and has 1.100 threads in the deck, so I can use the kit with the inch of threads.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

70MC wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am

I can easily be wrong.

Charlie, I have been in contact with them many times, about bolts and now studs. I called yesterday and the day before, I wanted to talk to different techs to get differing thoughts to what was an acceptable thread engagement and to ask what part number I needed for studs. Both techs (Art, and the other was Zach I think) thought 1/2 inch thread engagement for bolts was sufficient. There was a few different part numbers for studs that I saw for BBC and AFR heads, so I asked what was different. One kit had 3/4 inch threads that threaded into the deck and the other was an inch. My block is a Bowtie block and has 1.100 threads in the deck, so I can use the kit with the inch of threads.
I wanted to add that, like everyone else here that commented, I do not agree with the techs at ARP thinking 1/2 inch is good. I ordered studs, they will be here Tuesday. Thanks for the help everyone!
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm
70MC wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 am ...
With the factory heads and bolts I had about (i am guessing from memory) 7/8 to an inch thread engagement and now have 1/2 to 5/8. ...
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12367779.html gives the length of the stock bolts that were presumably used on your crate motor originally. Hope this helps in your quest.
70MC wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am

I can easily be wrong.

Remember that not all the readers will know what diameter bolts are being discussed despite the ubiquitous nature of the BBC.* I also found several differing sources on what the torque values should be for the long versus short bolts.
Includes (8) 7/16-14 x 2.08" bolts P/N 88960334, (24) 7/16-14 x 4.060" bolts P/N 88960333, (8) 7/16-14 x 5.06" bolts P/N 88960332, and (40) hardened washers P/N 14011040
So... The decimal equivalent of 7/16 is .4375. You can now use the various factors suggested by members and use a step or biased rounding function to convert them back to standard fractional equivalents. You just gotta luv it when the bolt specs mix fractional and decimal values. It is always a trip trying to determine what the design manual called out for engines originally versus three or more decades later (for when you are trying to normalize a measured example back to a blueprint value).

Samantha wrote:Kevin, does BBC mean Big Block Chrysler or Big Block Chevy? How am I supposed to know?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Just to add to the fun, some engines make use of necked down bolts where the shaft is narrower than the minor thread diameter.
And, some will use threaded inserts with aluminum.

Fastener engineering should not be left to the marketing dept of some bolt manufacturer.