Porting Dart Wissota Head - Iron Eagle 165cc S/S

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

68maliblue
Re: Porting Dart Wissota Head - Iron Eagle 165cc S/S

Post by 68maliblue »

No flow test capability. But its got to be better than what I started with. The exhaust ports had a ledge under the valve seat cut that looked very restrictive. Intake was better but could use some clean up. After the bowl blend and port cleanup I figured might as well take a shot at trimming the guides. I tried to keep material removal from the bowl to a minimum to prevent thinning out the wall too much as this is a street car. May take a little off the SSR on the exhaust based on your results.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

My opinion
Don't blow the throat size out above 89%
Be conservative on sizing
You have one head to compare to the other as far as sizing goes
Get the best valve job you can afford
Randy 331 has a thread from the last five years -
As cast small port bowtie on a 383 sbc made 525 hp
Google Randy 331 and his threads you will learn alot, Randy knows how to make real horsepower and I recommend looking for his threads
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Any thoughts on how far these could be milled angle/flat without any durability issues?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

i have a set of these heads.
as cast 68cc
i got mine skimmed -67cc now
Dart says 62cc flat mill-0.0065''= 1cc
angle mill ??
steve c
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Thanks Steve, I had seen the literature and I think they say 60cc chamber but Im sure Dart is on the cautious side, was just wondering how far some have gone without warping or cracking issues. Since I have moved to Florida I have had more of an eye to set my 71 Vette up for road racing as I put it back together along the lines of SVRA Group 6 instead of the swapping in the big block...

Group6 stipulate: Cylinder head must be series produced by manufacturer for make and model. Stock appearing aftermarket heads of correct material, valve angle and plug angle are permitted.

C3 Specific: Stock appearing aftermarket heads of correct material and plug location (i.e. Dart, World Products, etc.) These seem pretty general to me

Going to contact them for further details as to how loose stock appearing/plug location is, but for true factory style replacement heads these look to be the ticket with the better chamber compared to the World SR. Appreciate all the info shared here.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Another option might be the EQ iron head. They have a vortec chamber with older pattern intake pattern. I have not used these in particular (but I have used a number of their old 180 and 200 cc race oriented iron heads and have been very happy with the results.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

FC-Pilot wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:00 pm Another option might be the EQ iron head. They have a vortec chamber with older pattern intake pattern. I have not used these in particular (but I have used a number of their old 180 and 200 cc race oriented iron heads and have been very happy with the results.

Paul
For sure there are a few good iron options just not sure how period correct and how factory they want
Here is what the 67-72 Camaro (almost identical years too) says but this is for Group6 TA not Group6 AP: Stock appearing aftermarket heads of correct material and plug location
(double hump, 292 turbo, Dart "Iron Eagle", first design Bow-Tie allowed)

Seems strange they actually name specific heads for same time period. I know this thread had kind of run its course, but I dont want to veer this off topic anymore than I have, usually the very good threads like this one have me asking too many questions lol.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

are you allowed to port heads?
are you going to port heads? :D
steve c
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

steve cowan wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:24 pm are you allowed to port heads?
are you going to port heads? :D
LOL If I did I would be limited to cleanup and guide boss work, nothing too in depth. Roller cams and roller rockers are ok but then limited to factory iron Qjet intake or add 115lb for for Performer RPM and Holley. The other side of me says I will never have the money let alone the time to actually do any of this with any regularity so screw SVRA rules, lighten it as much as I can as I go and throw in the spare ls1 with a healthy cam, clean up the heads and have fun when I can where ever it would fit in with SCCA, maybe include some AutoX.