Loss of torque with EFI?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

Loss of torque with EFI?

Post by andyf »

In a recent article on the Hot Rod website a big BB Chevy is tuned with both a Dominator and a Holley Sniper system. It took them several days to dial in the fuel curve on the Dominator but the Holley Sniper learned its curve in just a few dyno pulls. The peak numbers were basically the same but the Sniper was down about 50 ft-lbs at the bottom of the RPM range. The article didn't mention this torque gap but I've seen the same thing happen when testing EFI vs. carbs. My guess is that it has to do with fuel mixing but I don't know if that is true or not. We don't know all of the other variables so it is just a guess what happened with that engine. For example, I assume the timing curve was the same but it might not have been. Same with the weather conditions, type of fuel, etc.

Has anyone else seen a drop in torque with EFI even though the peak numbers stayed the same? The Sniper is a throttle body type of setup so in theory the fuel mixing should be the same but maybe the injectors don't do quite as good a job as the annular boosters in the Dominator?

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fuel-sc ... ow-to-fix/
Andy F.
AR Engineering
427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: Loss of torque with EFI?

Post by 427dart »

Could it be that at a lower RPM the reduced injector cycle plus fuel droplets to small as compared to a carb booster with a larger droplet size?
Just thinking here.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

andyf wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm It took them several days to dial in the fuel curve on the Dominator but the Holley Sniper learned its curve in just a few dyno pulls.
I wonder if they had taken several days and actually tuned the EFI system maybe the torque would be the same ?? I dont think the way you put it is a fair comparison.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Any indication of the A/F ratios for the two systems?

EFI might not have figured out the lower RPM yet.
Ed
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

BillK wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 pm
andyf wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm It took them several days to dial in the fuel curve on the Dominator but the Holley Sniper learned its curve in just a few dyno pulls.
I wonder if they had taken several days and actually tuned the EFI system maybe the torque would be the same ?? I dont think the way you put it is a fair comparison.
I have only used 3 sniper efi setups and all on mild streeters, and yes they self learn well with only 20 / 30 mins run time but do get noticeably better after several hundred miles, based on this i think the self learn is great but seems to get close really quickly and continue 'trimming up' for a while.
I have at least 2 more sniper setups to do over the coming months, both blow thru turbo, both will be checked out on a chassis dyno so hopefully i can get these back for another dyno run after 500 or so miles and get a look at any changes from the initial runs and document what i have observed with seat of the pants.
Craig.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

I read through most of the carb part of the article. I'm not impressed. How does it take "days" to change throttle linkage, add a power valve to the secondary side, and change the emulsion? And then, how did the come up with a 5.5 power valve opening? That makes no sense.

As per normal, I'm not putting a lot of faith in that article. Had they spent a few more dollars and bought a carb that was already calibrated for the oddball combo, the tuning time would have been even less than the few hours it should have taken. Not days.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I have read a few mag articles from the early 90's to now and I have never seen enough carb vs EFI article that tell me I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to replace my $200 dollar carb.

Most likely any power difference would be do to inappropriate size or lack of tuning ability, either the system or the system operator. If both are done correctly the power difference should be minimum if any. Most of the guys I know making serious power on EFI would not consider a self learning system because the main benefit to the extra cost of EFI is being able to tune to a specific application. A self learning system can only go as far as what has been programed by someone else.

Here are about half of them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

427dart wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 pm Could it be that at a lower RPM the reduced injector cycle plus fuel droplets to small as compared to a carb booster with a larger droplet size?
Just thinking here.
Could be I suppose. I don't know enough about injector physics to know if the duty cycle has an effect on the drop size or not.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

emsvitil wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 pm Any indication of the A/F ratios for the two systems?

EFI might not have figured out the lower RPM yet.
There is an AFR chart in the article. The carb appears to have a slightly smoother curve but I doubt the difference is really significant. For most of the pull the AFR is in the mid 12's for both systems. The Sniper goes a little rich in a couple of spots but it doesn't seem to be enought to know 50 ft-lbs off the chart.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

ClassAct wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:50 pm I read through most of the carb part of the article. I'm not impressed. How does it take "days" to change throttle linkage, add a power valve to the secondary side, and change the emulsion? And then, how did the come up with a 5.5 power valve opening? That makes no sense.

As per normal, I'm not putting a lot of faith in that article. Had they spent a few more dollars and bought a carb that was already calibrated for the oddball combo, the tuning time would have been even less than the few hours it should have taken. Not days.
Because it's an advertisement for the FI system so they have to make carb seems difficult.

Same reason they only highlight the peak numbers in the article but never point out the massive difference in the average numbers.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

GARY C wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 pm Most of the guys I know making serious power on EFI would not consider a self learning system because the main benefit to the extra cost of EFI is being able to tune to a specific application. A self learning system can only go as far as what has been programed by someone else.

These EZ self learn setups arent real multi point EFi systems, basically you bought yourself an electronic carburetor...
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

andyf wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm The peak numbers were basically the same but the Sniper was down about 50 ft-lbs at the bottom of the RPM range.
Probbly the EFI does not have vac secondaries. It's that simple
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

modok wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:51 am
andyf wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm The peak numbers were basically the same but the Sniper was down about 50 ft-lbs at the bottom of the RPM range.
Probbly the EFI does not have vac secondaries. It's that simple

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

ClassAct wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:50 pm I read through most of the carb part of the article. I'm not impressed. How does it take "days" to change throttle linkage, add a power valve to the secondary side, and change the emulsion? And then, how did the come up with a 5.5 power valve opening? That makes no sense.

Yea but how often does that happen in a Hot Rod Mag article? Almost never. They never go buy a specific custom carb. They buy a stock, get it anywhere carb every time.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Annular booster carburetor?