siezed motor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

siezed motor

Post by prairiehotrodder »

whats the best stuff to dump into a siezed engine cylinders ? I recently bought an old 67 Buick Electra with the 430 engine and its stuck solid. Most likely rust. I pulled out all the spark plugs and sprayed in WD40 but i think i need something stronger. I'd really like to get it unstuck. Not to run it but just to know its fixable.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: siezed motor

Post by 6.50camaro »

Kerosene and atf mixture works good .
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

ATF. ATF mixed with diesel or kerosene. Dwell time, heat and luck.
- Paul
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:54 pm whats the best stuff to dump into a siezed engine cylinders ? I recently bought an old 67 Buick Electra with the 430 engine and its stuck solid. Most likely rust. I pulled out all the spark plugs and sprayed in WD40 but i think i need something stronger. I'd really like to get it unstuck. Not to run it but just to know its fixable.
Brian
If its stuck in just one place and not moving forward OR backward it might be more that rust. But the best I know of is Marvel Mystery oil, or transmission fluid. Put a little in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. And then see if the crank rocks back and forth some. The engine, if it unsticks and runs, will smoke quite a bit for hours or a few days.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

pcnsd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:03 pm ATF. ATF mixed with diesel or kerosene. Dwell time, heat and luck.
That!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

u mightn't believe this but brake fluid , its savage on rust , aslo i have loads of guys friends of my fathers who love old stuff , tractors and such , if its siezed they fill the cylinder with even old brake fluid and leave for a few days , they generally start them after with no intention of ever rebuilding them , don't even bother with the rest try this on anything around the shop if u want to check first
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Interesting the fact the brake fluid is a moisture magnet.... On my list thanks Gunt!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Just plain ol' Diesel fuel . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

thanks guys, its siezed rock solid so i don't have to much hope for it. I dumped in a bunch of ATF and a little muriatic acid and will let it soak.

On another topic, is there any demand or anything of value for the 430 Buick ?

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Sounds funny I know but I used a can of Pepsi or Coke. It will do the same thing to your teeth as well! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Newold1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:08 pm Sounds funny I know but I used a can of Pepsi or Coke. It will do the same thing to your teeth as well! :roll:
That’s what I was going to suggest. It’s hard on any good metal in there though
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

White vinegar for a few hours, but you need to de grease the cylinder/parts first. Once parts are rust free a good water flush to remove the vinegar (it eats cast iron once no rust is present and will eat steel if in contact long enough so machined surfaces for seals etc will get damaged if left too long.) then oil well, wd40 etc, to stop rust.

Muriatic acid is great but take care, is nasty on skin and lungs.
Craig.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have used 2 or 3 cans of PB blaster spray rust breaker and soak time, some times days of soak time, and when that failed I got out my big Ass 2 handle drill and my 1\2" and 3/4" drill bits and drilled 8 to 12 holes in the piston tops that I could get and where not too far down the Bore so I could beat on them with a big flat face punch until I colasped the top some.

That would distor the Pistons skirt enough to bust it and the rings free with out cracking the Bore.

Some times even once you get a Rod and piston moving you then need to use a sanding roll to knock the heavy rust off.

It also helps to loosen up the rod bolts so that you have almost 1/4" of play in them, this will allow you to rock the Crank back & forth some to help yank things free.
To do this part right right you a Crank socket, you need the block to be on the floor and many times have someone else standing on it to keep it planted.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Short 2x4 and 3-4 pound hammer. Most fluid seems to help minimally. Walloping tops of pistons only way I've got them loose. Even after soaking for months.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Any time I've had an engine stuck from rust, the piston rings were rusted to the pistons as well, and it would take a LOT of time soaking in kerosene and gently working them around to get things freed up again.