Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 380 ci sbc bending exhaust valve

Post by Schurkey »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm
PRH wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm
gsbrown83 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm Darts techline told us that it had to be the lifter to lifter bore clearance was to tight. They said on all there big blocks they have a tech bulletin to cut relief slots in the lifters but have never seen it on sbc. We did exactly like they said 2 thousandths of an inch from oiling hole to oil band and it fixed it. So it's a issue with the lifter outer diameter being a touch to big.
I’m not exactly sure I have it right.......
you put a .002” deep groove in the lifter body connecting the oil band to the pushrod feed hole?

That's how I understood what he is saying. I mean, dang...if the lifter is that tight in the bore that would make me nervous.
"I" want to see a photo of those lifters.

THIS is what I expect for a lifter oiling hole--it's IN the oil band. (Flat-tappet lifter shown, but I don't know why a roller lifter would be different.)

So, I want to see where the oil feed hole is, in relation to the oil band. Again, these sound like Edge-Orifice lifters.

Found this photo on the 'net. http://www.429-460.com/t25734p25-oiling ... el-lifters
Oil hole above the oil band...the way I remember Edge Orifice lifters. If this is the way the OPs lifters are made, no wonder they didn't oil.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I can’t think of any solid roller lifters I’ve seen in the last 20 years(or more) that aren’t of the edge orifice oiling type(if they have provisions for pushrod oiling).

This is how the oil is “metered” to the top end on solid roller lifters.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

Schurkey I'm not around one of the sets they took out but they look just like the lifters u have pictured with the red back ground. The groove we cut is the tiny area between the oiling hole and oiling band. All I can say is I suspect comp has made a change in the way they machine the outer diameter or they have them just a tick off. I'm not sure entirely but it fixed our motor
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

PRH wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 pm I can’t think of any solid roller lifters I’ve seen in the last 20 years(or more) that aren’t of the edge orifice oiling type(if they have provisions for pushrod oiling).

This is how the oil is “metered” to the top end on solid roller lifters.
I learn something new every day.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Both sets of lifters in that pic have been modified in that manner.

You have to be very careful about how big you make that connection between the band and the hole.
I’ve seen the connection be too big on more than one occasion...... with the result being an empty oil pan and the bulk of the oil pumped up into the heads during some dyno time.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

Prh exactly what they told us. Two thousandths max