EGT and 02 sensors

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: EGT and 02 sensors

Post by Kevin Johnson »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:56 am How about the measured EGTs? Many sensors that we’ve tried have so much lag that they are really only informative in steady state constant rpm tests.
https://web.ornl.gov/sci/transportation ... h/engines/ Researchers at a national lab might be easier to approach for suggestions on rapid EGT sensors than a private company. They might repeat back what you have already discovered. That being said, be sure to contact AVL.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:08 am
ptuomov wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:56 am How about the measured EGTs? Many sensors that we’ve tried have so much lag that they are really only informative in steady state constant rpm tests.
https://web.ornl.gov/sci/transportation ... h/engines/ Researchers at a national lab might be easier to approach for suggestions on rapid EGT sensors than a private company. They might repeat back what you have already discovered. That being said, be sure to contact AVL.
I meant to ask how fast reacting EGT signal can you process from Bosch wideband sensor outputs?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ALL EGTs that we have bought or built have significant time constants; they are slow to respond to large changes in temperature. Your observation regarding their use only in steady state conditions is correct.

I found the data file containing lambda, Lambda tip temp, EGT, and rpm.
The data confirm the slow response of the EGTs to changes in throttle.

However, the data was collected over CAN and sampled at 10 Hz which obscured the response time for temperature. In addition, the mixture cycled lean with throttle lift which altered EGT but not Lambda tip temp which was inversely coupled.

The more data we collect, the less we understand. :?
Matt Cramer

Post by Matt Cramer »

The data logs I've looked over from drag passes and dyno pulls where EGT was logged - anywhere from 10 to 100 Hz depending on the setup - generally show you won't get the real, steady state temperature values in these conditions at all. But you do get enough data to use the EGT probes for checking cylinder to cylinder variations. If one cylinder's graph went slightly higher than the others during a run, chances are that cylinder needs more fuel. Cylinder abruptly has its temperature starting to drop? Dead cylinder, most likely not getting fuel or a valvetrain issue. A very abrupt rise can mean the fuel is burning in the exhaust rather than the cylinder. Just like with tuning in a steady state, the value is more in using the EGTs as a secondary tuning tool and comparing what one cylinder is doing relative to its neighbors.

Some ECUs also have the ability to shut down the engine or shut down a cylinder in the event of runaway temperature readings.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Matt Cramer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 pm
The data logs I've looked over from drag passes and dyno pulls where EGT was logged - anywhere from 10 to 100 Hz depending on the setup - generally show you won't get the real, steady state temperature values in these conditions at all. But you do get enough data to use the EGT probes for checking cylinder to cylinder variations. If one cylinder's graph went slightly higher than the others during a run, chances are that cylinder needs more fuel. Cylinder abruptly has its temperature starting to drop? Dead cylinder, most likely not getting fuel or a valvetrain issue. A very abrupt rise can mean the fuel is burning in the exhaust rather than the cylinder. Just like with tuning in a steady state, the value is more in using the EGTs as a secondary tuning tool and comparing what one cylinder is doing relative to its neighbors.

Some ECUs also have the ability to shut down the engine or shut down a cylinder in the event of runaway temperature readings.
EGTs are not very responsive to changes in mixture; they should not be used for fuel tuning. They are much more responsive to changes in timing, either ignition timing or combustion timing. They can be used to determine cylinder to cylinder balance.

EGTs do not present actual exhaust gas temperatures. They present a time weighted average of pulsed temperatures.

As Matt indicated, combustion in the exhaust header is common and alters exhaust pipe tuning considerably.
But high EGTs are not normally detrimental to piston survival while low EGTs can indicate pre-ignition issues.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

I understand that the sensor measurement is something like an exponentially weighted moving average of the actual temperatures that the sensor tip is exposed to. The sensor tip is going to have some thermal inertia.

It may also be the case that the true (cycle average) exhaust gas temperature only reaches its steady state slowly after, say, a load change. In fact, I'd be surprised if this weren't the case, as the exhaust port, etc. have thermal inertia.

The question is how to get handle on the magnitudes?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm I understand that the sensor measurement is something like an exponentially weighted moving average of the actual temperatures that the sensor tip is exposed to. The sensor tip is going to have some thermal inertia.

It may also be the case that the true (cycle average) exhaust gas temperature only reaches its steady state slowly after, say, a load change. In fact, I'd be surprised if this weren't the case, as the exhaust port, etc. have thermal inertia.

To which parameter magnitudes do you refer?
We have tons of EGT data. Is the engine NA or boosted?

I have written a piece on TC response time. Let me know if you would like to read it.

One of Blairs students did a paper on using measured EGT values to determine actual pipe temperatures.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:14 pm
ptuomov wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm I understand that the sensor measurement is something like an exponentially weighted moving average of the actual temperatures that the sensor tip is exposed to. The sensor tip is going to have some thermal inertia.

I have written a piece on TC response time. Let me know if you would like to read it.

One of Blairs students did a paper on using measured EGT values to determine actual pipe temperatures.
Turbo V8 with cast iron exhaust manifolds.

Yes, please!
Put Search Keywords Here
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Yes, please!
Please PM your email address.
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes, please!
Has infrared ever been utilized to record exh. temp ?
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Firedome8 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm
David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes, please!
Has infrared ever been utilized to record exh. temp ?
We have used infrared to measure the outside wall temperature of pipes but not exhaust gases.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i found egt very helpful when running highly modified big bore two strokes in quarte mile drags on ice.always read my plugs and bore scoped my pistons.wasnt trying to get air fuel readings from them but it got too hot there was a fine line from burning one down or not.having my pistons heads and pipes coated was one of the best things i did.keep that heat in the chamber so you can use that expansion to push that piston down.not to mention the improved scavaging.spelling sorry.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

jake197000 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:37 am i found egt very helpful when running highly modified big bore two strokes in quarte mile drags on ice.always read my plugs and bore scoped my pistons.wasnt trying to get air fuel readings from them but it got too hot there was a fine line from burning one down or not.having my pistons heads and pipes coated was one of the best things i did.keep that heat in the chamber so you can use that expansion to push that piston down.not to mention the improved scavaging.spelling sorry.
Can you please explain how you used EGTs to be useful to you?
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

because at least on 2 stokes,if the egt jumped up you could burn her down before you could get off the throttle.i had a data logging system and melted enough pistons to know.you didnt have time to look at it going 150
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

lean is fast.until it melts.