General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Kobalt tools

Post by Schurkey »

woody b wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:12 pm
makin chips wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:07 pm They were made in South Carolina by Apex Tools until March 31, 2017 when they closed the plant and layed everyone off. They made tools for Craftsman Pro and currently Apex Tools, who owns Armstrong, makes Gear Wrench.

Armstrong tools were industrial tools for aerospace, military, and government use mainly. Most of this info is available at Wikipedia. They were owned by Danaher until Apex bought them and then closed them down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Tools
I wasn't aware of the info Makin chips posted, but I can add a little. Armstrong is the same, or at least was the same a Matco tools. Armstrong was the industrial line, Matco the mechanic line. I love Matco wrenches and screwdrivers. I don't care for their sockets. Our local Matco man (actually a revolving door of Matco men) has always been hit and miss. I replaced a couple wrenches I'd lost with Armstrong wrenches I ordered from McMaster Carr. They were identical except for the name. (even had the same number on them). Some of their hand tools (Danaher tools, Matco, Armstrong, Craftsman Pro) were made in Bessemer City NC. (15 miles from here) I had a friend who worked at that plant, but she retired in 2015. I don't know if that plant is still open, or if they still make stuff for Danaher.
Armstrong/Matco/Allen/Danaher/Apex/Fortive is a whole friggin' soap-opera of who is getting supplied by who, and who is going to be the new supplier next week, and who is buying which division from which parent company. Honestly, Matco is like the pretty-but-damaged junior-high girl that gets passed from one boy to the next, endlessly, screwed by everyone and never feels loved or secure.

There was a time that Armstrong/Matco/Danaher were all in bed together along with Allen, the Mastercraft line by Menards, and thirty other companies some of which you may have heard of, and some that are a total unknown. The Danaher parent company made ratchets that were sold by Armstrong with one handle design, Craftsman with another handle design, Matco with yet another handle design, Menards/Mastercraft with a different handle, Allen with a different handle, all forged in the same factory...and they all may have used the same ratchet mechanism, which, depending on the ratchet model, was introduced by EASCO in about 1965. There was a worldwide-shortage of Matco ratchets when the Danaher/Apex factory went down due to...flooding, I think. Took months for Matco to design a new ratchet mechanism and find someone to produce it. Over a year before they got caught-up with warranty replacements. Yeah, some guys with broken Matco ratchets sent them back to the factory and waited over a year for a replacement! Danaher got sold to Apex, Apex closed up Allen and Armstrong and God-only-knows which other brands including KOBALT and Menards/Mastercraft, because some Suit decided that he could save money by consolidating four tool factories into one (conveniently located in a Non-Union, Right-to-work-for-peanuts, economically-distressed state) and then that one factory had set-up problems then got flooded-out. Wasn't long thereafter that Armstrong and Allen got the doors locked, Menards and Lowe's went to Asia for what had been USA-made tools, and somebody--Danaher or Apex--sold-off Matco in the melee.

I have some elderly (1987*-ish) MATCO sockets and a 10mm combo wrench. The wrenches were made by the company that also made Bonney (Cooper Tools). Against all odds, I like the "Bonney" design. Comfortable, and obviously durable since I've been using it since Fido was a pup. Later, I guess, the wrenches were made by Wright, including Wright making long-pattern combo wrenches for Matco that they did not have an equivalent long-pattern in the Wright-branded line. And I don't know who made the sockets, but I suspect the company that made Bonney (but without any actual evidence to prove it.) Again, which supplier in which time-frame is beyond what I can remember.

*In the mid-80's, you had to pay attention to the tool catalog given away by the Tool Truck Guy. I mean, I'd be parked in the Comfy Chair, thumbing through the Wish Books, and I had to remind myself whether I was looking at the MATCO (They started out as Mac Allied Tool COmpany, but by the time I was buying, the were Mechanic's American Tool COmpany) (they don't call themselves that any more) or the Mac Tool catalog--lots of stuff looked the same, and had the SAME PART NUMBERS. The MATCO guy claimed that MATCO was owned by "Chicago Pneumatic" which was NOT true--but both MATCO and CP were owned by the same parent company. Lots of MATCO air tools were CPs with different logos cast into the side. I have no idea how many times MATCO (or Matco) has been sold since then.

Matco is now a division of Fortive. I have no idea who's going to own them next month, or who they're going to use for suppliers. Far as I know, Matco makes tool boxes, (which is what they did when they were part of the Mac Tool brand--they made the Mac tool boxes) and buys-in everything else from outside "contract suppliers".
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

modok wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:11 am PETERSON VISE GRIP RETURN!
HECK yeah

https://www.malcoproducts.com/news/malc ... -nebraska/
I'd like to buy a few of those. When they moved to China I quit buying Vise Grip stuff and bought used USA VG tools on CL, FB and swap meets.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

woody b wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:12 pm
makin chips wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:07 pm
swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm I believe Armstrong may be one of the best quality tools available. Does anybody know for sure where they are made ? I know that they are the hardest tools that i have tried to drill a hole in for hanging on a wall. Mark H.
They were made in South Carolina by Apex Tools until March 31, 2017 when they closed the plant and layed everyone off. They made tools for Craftsman Pro and currently Apex Tools, who owns Armstrong, makes Gear Wrench.

Armstrong tools were industrial tools for aerospace, military, and government use mainly. Most of this info is available at Wikipedia. They were owned by Danaher until Apex bought them and then closed them down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Tools
I wasn't aware of the info Makin chips posted, but I can add a little. Armstrong is the same, or at least was the same a Matco tools. Armstrong was the industrial line, Matco the mechanic line. I love Matco wrenches and screwdrivers. I don't care for their sockets. Our local Matco man (actually a revolving door of Matco men) has always been hit and miss. I replaced a couple wrenches I'd lost with Armstrong wrenches I ordered from McMaster Carr. They were identical except for the name. (even had the same number on them). Some of their hand tools (Danaher tools, Matco, Armstrong, Craftsman Pro) were made in Bessemer City NC. (15 miles from here) I had a friend who worked at that plant, but she retired in 2015. I don't know if that plant is still open, or if they still make stuff for Danaher.
That's correct. Before Armstrong was bought by Apex, they were both under Danaher.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Ive been hoarding older S*K tools (which were part of Cooper along with Bonney). I find the quality to be very good. I don't work on much modern stuff, so I don't need code readers and a lot of specialty tools. But for bread-and-butter mechanics tools; I have no complaints. And the green contrasts nicely in a sea of red and blue at work.
I do have some HF tools. I have a super fine-tooth 1/4" drive nylon ratchet that is great when you need it. I also have a 15yr old Kobalt HVLP detail gun with a swiveling cup that is remarkably good.

Last angle grinder I bought for work ended up being a used Metabo from a pawn shop :lol: Its a very nice German-made angle grinder. Its still just an angle grinder.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

autogear wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm Ive been hoarding older S*K tools (which were part of Cooper along with Bonney).
http://alloy-artifacts.org/sherman-klove.html#history
SK was independent, then purchased by Symington-Wayne Corporation in 1962. Tools were labeled "SK-Wayne".
Then purchased by Dresser Industries in '68.
Eventually purchased by Facom in '85.
Purchased by management in 2005, becoming independent again.
Now owned by Ideal Industries after going bankrupt in ????
autogear wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:55 pm I find the quality to be very good.
SK is what I'm buying for hand-tools unless there's a pressing need to buy Snap-On. SK is good stuff.

So is Proto, and Wright--both "industrial" suppliers typically sold at less-than-Tool-Truck prices. They don't have the automotive specialty tools, though.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

I found an old Williams ratchet in the fender of an older car I was working on 6 or 7 years ago. You could tell it wasn't anything made recently. It quickly became one of my go to 3/8" ratchets.

It's a vintage B52 Super Ratchet pretty much exactly like this one

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Interesting tool history. I always wondered how they all fit together.
Joe Facciano
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

makin chips wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:16 pm
JoePorting wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:07 pm I bought some rachets and sockets from Harbor Freight a year ago thinking that I would hate them but instead I was really impressed how good they were. They are Snap-on look alikes and seem to work just as good. At ten cents on the dollar, I don't know how Snap-on/Mac/Matco are going to compete with that. I'm sure most the young mechanics are just going to buy from Harbor Freight.
How can they compete? It's no contest on quality vs quality. There's no comparison. Anyone who would CONSIDER HF tools over Mac, Snap-on, etc...likely shouldn't be making decisions about quality of tools. If you seriously consider HF in the same sentence as Snap-on and other premium, high quality tools, you may nerd to reevaluate what you consider quality tools.
I have a lot of Snap-On, Cornwell, Matco, Mac Tools. I was a flat rate mechanic for 17 years. If you look close there are a few HF items, and they serve their purpose. Its not all black and white. Most tool trucks have a imported tools on them. I remember 15 years ago when Harbor Freight and Matco sold the same welders made in Italy. Both Crap in that case, but there was about $800 in the price tag and a color difference. The point is not even the tool truck brands have the high standards they use to have. So if I am buying import, I sure would rather not pay the tool truck markup. I have a import deep impact socket set I got from HF. Did loose one and wore a few out. I bought a second set to replace the first about ten years ago, its still in the tool box right next to the Snap-on sockets and they don't seem to mind.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

I've commented in this thread but haven't mentioned Kobalt tools. I've had Kobalt tool boxes for the last ~20 years. When I started at a dealership in 1982 I bought the biggest Craftsman box I could afford. I added another Craftsman box a few years later. ~20 years ago I sold my old beat up Craftsman boxes for more than I spent on these Kobalt boxes. I can't say anything bad about the boxes. They've served me well. This is a picture of them loaded up in my trailer when I was leaving the dealership 3 years ago.

I'll see if I've got another picture somewhere.

Regarding torx bits. The only ones worth buying, at any price are the gold ones Snap On sells. They simply don't break.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

A tool box picture, if the link works.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

One of my carts is a HF cart. It's a 5 drawer that I got for quite cheap and it's been almost perfect. Only needs new shocks for the lift-up lid after 7 years lol. I removed the American General ne and had more than 1 person ask what kind it was because they were interested in it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Most, if not all, of the parts are replaceable with readily available cart/toolbox parts from almost any mfg of your choice. Snap On, Mac, HF, Craftsman. I checked them all and most of their stuff is standardized to use on any cart. Slides? Standard parts. Wheels? Standard parts. I can easily buy slides from Snap-on if I wanted and they would go on exactly like the HF parts I took off.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

there a plenty of good tools out there if you use them within there limitsi use ingersol rand impacts cordless best impacts ive ever bought.ive switched to all cordless .only use air on die grinders,cut off tools and the like.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i think the craftsman impact sockets are as good as anything out there,or they used to be.mine are pretty old though.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i have some hf tools there not bad for the price but you gotta be careful what yuo buy.love going to hf best price on latex gloves ive ever found.always buy too much.was there the other night,told the wife lets get out of here before i spend too much.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i have a mix of boxes some are 45 years old never had a problem with any of them.and they have been abused.i would never pay the price for a snap on swap meets are a good place to buy high quality boxes/tools.i dont care that much about the box.i do care whats in them.my dad was a life long mechanic i have his old boxes at home dont remember the brand have to look but still work perfect.