Static Compression VS Dynamic compression

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Static Compression VS Dynamic compression

Post by David Redszus »

I found a use for Dynamic Compression Ratio other than to determine temperature and pressure.

DCR is directly related to Thermal Efficiency.

DCR......Thermal Efficiency
7..........54.32%

As long as compression temperature stays under control, shoot for a higher DCR.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David, do those numbers take into account the Miller Cycle effect of a shorter effective compression stroke with an unchanging power stroke?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm David, do those numbers take into account the Miller Cycle effect of a shorter effective compression stroke with an unchanging power stroke?
Bill,
I kept the engine parameters unchanged and only changed the chamber volumes. I could have changed IVC as well.
The change in SCR did not matter since it is not used in the calcs.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:25 pm I found a use for Dynamic Compression Ratio other than to determine temperature and pressure.

7..........54.32%

Between that and more cylinder pressure wouldn't that give a more complete burn of the fuel. The correct fuel of coarse.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:02 pm
MadBill wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm David, do those numbers take into account the Miller Cycle effect of a shorter effective compression stroke with an unchanging power stroke?
Bill,
I kept the engine parameters unchanged and only changed the chamber volumes. I could have changed IVC as well.
The change in SCR did not matter since it is not used in the calcs.
Wouldn't changing the chamber volume change the SC?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

GARY C wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm
David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:25 pm I found a use for Dynamic Compression Ratio other than to determine temperature and pressure.

7..........54.32%

Between that and more cylinder pressure wouldn't that give a more complete burn of the fuel. The correct fuel of coarse.
Gary, the higher DCR values would produce higher temperatures and pressures, which should cause a faster burn rate, raising combustion peak pressure and advancing the burn angle. Yes, that should result in a more complete fuel burn which is important since we can only actually burn a quantity of fuel predicted by air mass and stoich value. We can't burn more but we certainly can burn less.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:29 pm
GARY C wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm

7..........54.32%

Gary, the higher DCR values would produce higher temperatures and pressures, which should cause a faster burn rate, raising combustion peak pressure and advancing the burn angle. Yes, that should result in a more complete fuel burn which is important since we can only actually burn a quantity of fuel predicted by air mass and stoich value. We can't burn more but we certainly can burn less.
Thanks, that kind of explains why cylinder pressure and DCR are looked at in reference to a pump gas engine that would be operating primarily at low rpm, high heat and on substandard fuel.
Please Note!