Novice Modified 289 Heads

Moderator: David Vizard

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Novice Modified 289 Heads

Post by mag2555 »

Sounds good David, and thanks!
I hope your recovery is progressing with God speed!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

I think this is what some of you have been waiting for.
From the chamber shot you can see I have a ways to go before my work looks as pretty as Charlies but hey i'm still a youngster at 25!!

More to the point is the flow bench curves. The ports went up in cc's from whatever stock is -(???) to what is still a small port at 159 cc int and 50 for the ex.
Intake flow went up from 160 to 201 E3x from 126 to 160. This was done by increasing the efficiency a greater amount than the port volumes so port velocity also went up bu a big margin. This cause the all important port energy to go up by a very big margin. DV tells me this will all show up in a positive manner in the dyno test.
Last point and DV said to stress this. The port work we are looking at here is what DV calls a safe port for a 289 head.

On the graphs thin lines are stock, thick are ported.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

You are a lucky kid Phil. Looking good.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Thanks Charlie, Happy to have all of these opportunitys. First time using the flow bench to see how ports responded, me and DV are pretty happy with the results straight from just porting. And i should add that before the tests we did check calibration of the flow bench and it was within .5cfm .
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I have calibrated that bench a few times. Each time it was very close, D.V. likes it tight.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

I must admit here that I am having a hard time swallowing a 25.6% peak Intake flow gain from just bowl porting work on this one!

Can you atleast tell us what the Valve to Throat percentage is now ?
Can you go into detail on what some sizes where stock and what they are now if you can?

Also why are the Valve lift numbers being given in those increments used in the charts?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

That's some pretty wild mean velocity, bud. Have you probed it for local velocities yet?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 am I must admit here that I am having a hard time swallowing a 25.6% peak Intake flow gain from just bowl porting work on this one!

Can you go into detail on what some sizes where stock and what they are now if you can?

Also why are the Valve lift numbers being given in those increments used in the charts?
I was wondering the same,,vertical axis is in 21 cfm increments and horizontal in .070" lift.

You'll have to extrapolate both if your trying to follow along with the same type head.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 am I must admit here that I am having a hard time swallowing a 25.6% peak Intake flow gain from just bowl porting work on this one!

The program took the max valve lift and produces 10 evenly spaced lines.

The program also takes the lift points / flow data and generates a "spline curve" which it graphs, rather than straight lines from data point to data point.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

David / Phil,
Is the your exhaust valve size the same size for both tests?. There is a thick and thin horizontal red line which shows at .25 D for the exhaust valve. Note the blue lines overlap each other .25 d intake.

Stan
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

So where going back to the .25LD way of looking at things to compair Valve efficiency on this ?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm So where going back to the .25LD way of looking at things to compair Valve efficiency on this ?
No. The .25 D lines are an option which by default is set to show. If you un-check a box it does not show the .25 d lines. Different people like to look at the data differently. That is why the x axis can be L/D ratio instead of valve lift. You know some like vanilla and some like chocolate.

Stan
compare.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Stan Weiss wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am

The program also takes the lift points / flow data and generates a "spline curve" which it graphs, rather than straight lines from data point to data point.

Stan
Why does it need a max valve lift? Does that mean if you change the max valve lift by .025" up or down, both H&V axis will have different values again for this same head?

If it will, us who are only seeing a graph here will have a hard time comparing things.

I have a head with the same size intake valve I'm trying to compare with this one...i thought it would be easy.
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Stan Weiss wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:36 am David / Phil,
Is the your exhaust valve size the same size for both tests?. There is a thick and thin horizontal red line which shows at .25 D for the exhaust valve. Note the blue lines overlap each other .25 d intake.

Stan
Stock valves were used for both tests, i believe we actually used same exact ones.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

gmrocket wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm
Stan Weiss wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am

Stan
Why does it need a max valve lift? Does that mean if you change the max valve lift by .025" up or down, both H&V axis will have different values again for this same head?

If it will, us who are only seeing a graph here will have a hard time comparing things.

I have a head with the same size intake valve I'm trying to compare with this one...i thought it would be easy.
Yes. The graph axis will change. The text part of that screen shows the actual numbers.

Stan
comp_text.gif