Pulley run out?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Pulley run out?

Post by cjperformance »

Got to say I would use and have used water pump , alternator, aircon, power steer pulleys with that runout and more. These go on to do many miles without problem.
One of my own 4.0L 6cyl hacks , purchased at 279000km had a visible large wobble in the balancer pulley which is part of the outter balancer ring, aprox 2mm/.080" at a look by eye. That same engine and balancer are still sitting here, the car retired at 498000km, the engine, and all pulleys intact.
Craig.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

Exactly. I never knew they would even worry long before .0025 off on a pully. I see a lot of new cars where there is a few thousands of pully off center vibrating the belt without being obvious even revving it. I say that perfect .. send it!
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

There is the time I put the power steering pump pulley on backwards on a GM pump while working at my first Chevy dealership as a technician lmao. Since it was backwards, I had no lip to use the tool on to get it back off so I had to use a 3 jaw puller around the edge. It obviously bent the pulley out of spec and you couldn't just buy a new one at the time. So instead of making a warranty claim or something else, the tech in the stall next to me brought over a BFH and we knocked it into submission. It still had runout but I'm not sure how much. It was barely enough to see with the naked eye at idle, IIRC.

Don't know if there were ever any issues, either. It never came back while I was there, so I assume it was OK.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm
MadBill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 pm With the flex and stretch of a vee belt (or cog) drive I don't see any way 0.0025" TIR could have any effect.
The stock OEM pulley has the shaft hole accurately punched and the pulley will have very little, if any, runout. Several years ago I was a product manager at one of the large US engine parts manufacturers and one of my product responsibilities was water pumps. All of a sudden we began having warranty issues for particular water pump on Medium Duty Chevrolet and GMC trucks with 366 and 427 engines. These are not high RPM engines by any means, but we were paying out huge labor claims because the shaft/seal assembly was breaking and sending the fans through radiators and even the hood in a couple of cases. We tracked the problem down to the manufacturer who was supplying the shaft/seal assembly to us for these pumps. Metallurgy tests showed that the quality of the steel was good and it took awhile for us to find the real problem. The pump shaft used a couple of rows of ball bearings and the manufacturer had begun using a new supplier for ball bearings without notifying us. The print specs called out that the ball bearing diameter tolerance was something like +/- .00003" and these ball bearings did not always fall within that tolerance range. The difference in ball bearing diameters resulted in harmonic vibrations which would break the pump shaft, causing all kinds of mayhem. THIS is the reason why I would not use the pulley that shows "only" .0025" run-out . . . . . . . .
As a machinist, you should know that ball bearings out of tolerance in a bearing assembly and the belt groove on a pulley are two completely different things. Not even remotely comparable.

I dare you to show me an actual production GM pulley with less than .003" runout.
You're gonna search for a looooong time....
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

If the shaft pilot hole has been redrilled, thus putting the pulley into a non-concentric situation, then it is very possible that undesirable harmonics are introduced into the pump shaft/bearing/seal assembly. Bottom line, use a pulley that is designed for the pump being used . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

it is designed for the app, He designed it himself, hopefully with a uni-bit and not a twist drill. :P