Pulley run out?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Pulley run out?

Post by 88bluestar »

Got a 3/4 shaft water pump and had to drill out the 5/8” pulley hole to 3/4”. Did not get it dead on and has run out, just curious if you all think it’ll work. It’s about.0025 run out. Very minute wobble but just want everyone’s thoughts.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Pulley run out?

Post by Alaskaracer »

If it were mine I'd get the right pulley. Some on here will tell you it's ok, but not on my stuff........
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

If it's only 2-1/2 thousandths i wouldn't worry about it, but if you meant twenty-five thousandths it's time for a different pulley.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

You are real good with a drill bit and .0025'' run out! Run It!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

88bluestar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 pm Got a 3/4 shaft water pump and had to drill out the 5/8” pulley hole to 3/4”. Did not get it dead on and has run out, just curious if you all think it’ll work. It’s about.0025 run out. Very minute wobble but just want everyone’s thoughts.
Why cheap out on a pulley? It can't be more than $20 or $30. IMO, that's worse than cheaping out on headgaskets and reusing them on a $15k dollar engine because you don't want to spend another $125
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I would replace the pulley. .0025" is not much runout, but it can be disasterous at high RPM. This much runout can wipe out water pump seal and bearings in very short time.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

What is the pulley drive ratio, over or under? I've never checked any of my pulleys for run-out nor the water pump hub. Now I've used a cheap china water pump and it bent the pump shaft. It wobbled a bit n I ran it that way for awhile, never threw a belt but highest rpm the pulley saw was 4200.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

If it's a hard to find or unobtainable I would chuck it up in a lathe,indicate the outside then bore the center to a nominal size and make a steeped bushing bringing it back to 5/8. A pretty easy fix.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

With the flex and stretch of a vee belt (or cog) drive I don't see any way 0.0025" TIR could have any effect. Per Boot, how many guys religiously check the radial and axial runout and vee width variability of all their pulleys and for anyone that does, what tolerances do you accept ?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Factory stamped pulleys aren't exactly true.
Jim
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

6800 rpm. oval track engine. Probably going to side with getting a new pulley. Water pump is new and has a 3/4" shaft.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

.0025 ?I ve never checked but id bet most new cars have that much or more I t woulnt bother me .
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

88bluestar wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am 6800 rpm. oval track engine. Probably going to side with getting a new pulley. Water pump is new and has a 3/4" shaft.
If that was .0025"(two and one half thousandths!) then you are wasting your money. That's less than the thickness of a human hair!!!
Hell, crank at .0015" snout runout and .002" bearing clearance has that much runout.....and that'll be every other engine you are racing against and including yours....are they all going to fly apart or eat bearings because of it?? NO.

Ever seen how bad a factory water pump pulley runs out, and pumps last 100,000 miles??

If it was .025(twenty five thousandths0, now you've got reason to maybe get another..

I built circle track and Sprint car wheels, both aluminum and steel 2-piece.....and the company run-out limit was .050". Never had a comeback or complaint for run-out causing a problem.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

MadBill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 pm With the flex and stretch of a vee belt (or cog) drive I don't see any way 0.0025" TIR could have any effect.
The stock OEM pulley has the shaft hole accurately punched and the pulley will have very little, if any, runout. Several years ago I was a product manager at one of the large US engine parts manufacturers and one of my product responsibilities was water pumps. All of a sudden we began having warranty issues for particular water pump on Medium Duty Chevrolet and GMC trucks with 366 and 427 engines. These are not high RPM engines by any means, but we were paying out huge labor claims because the shaft/seal assembly was breaking and sending the fans through radiators and even the hood in a couple of cases. We tracked the problem down to the manufacturer who was supplying the shaft/seal assembly to us for these pumps. Metallurgy tests showed that the quality of the steel was good and it took awhile for us to find the real problem. The pump shaft used a couple of rows of ball bearings and the manufacturer had begun using a new supplier for ball bearings without notifying us. The print specs called out that the ball bearing diameter tolerance was something like +/- .00003" and these ball bearings did not always fall within that tolerance range. The difference in ball bearing diameters resulted in harmonic vibrations which would break the pump shaft, causing all kinds of mayhem. THIS is the reason why I would not use the pulley that shows "only" .0025" run-out . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

So....What's the runout on the the crank pulley? :P
How you even check that......big ball bearing on the end of the indicator?