Dodge 5.7 Hemi hyd. roller lifter and cam issues?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Dodge 5.7 Hemi hyd. roller lifter and cam issues?

Post by PackardV8 »

The latest hemis make great power, but to get that, they cheated on the pushrod angles, some oiling issues and some valve seat design. Over the years, they've fixed the valve seat failures, and rocker arm failures, but it's still not as durable as an LS of comparable power.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

the lifter issues that are common with the OEM lifters have been corrected by Johnson lifters.
Not to be confused by the other similar lifter sellers Hi-Lift Johnson. tried many sets of then which is what the dealer supplied and had issues with all 13 sets. then called the guys at Johnson race and that fixed the issues completely.

Now the VVT engines use a completely different set of 8 lifters and again Johnson Race to the rescue =D> =D>
Just a word of warning on the later Hemi's is the tuning issues can lead to melted pistons as they are lean to start with.
But the VVT cam timing set up is confusing and can be easily done incorrectly and bent and broken valves will result
if you did not know the newer stuff uses hollow stem valves and they break easy.

But the real issue is no permanent timing mark to locate TDC is on these either making timing checks hard to get right.
The aftermarket has some balancers but they are spendy but at least if you have done a nice build with an aftermarket
crank the keyway to locate it is nice. Or you can key the stock pulley but the high mile pulley can come apart to ruin the
days ahead when it goes through the rad or worse.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'll snap a few parts pix tomorrow after I get home from work. I have a 2014 5.7 with the head off.

I think the 6.1's are the ones with the hollow valve stems... don't think any 5.7 has them.

Amazing that this engine only runs at 20 degrees advance maximum...and the second spark plug is more for emissions than performance. Mopar sez the second plug only gives 3-5 hp... the #2 plug fires after TDC to clean the exhaust allowing a smaller catalytic converter.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

BigBro74 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:50 am I have a 2018 5.7 express truck, and mine is seeing a lot of highway miles for work and etc- most of the year. I have to admit I agree with the post about using good oil and filter- perhaps correct viscosity as well??. One thing that I have not agreed with is the Loooonnngg service interval if u use the oil change light.... many makes have gone to this - and I feel it doesn’t help——.
I have been using valvoline full synthetic and only running about 4000 miles or about 60% of the oil change indicator- right or wrong that has been my procedure. I love the truck!-J
You realize they don't use feelings to determine whether oil can go for extended drain intervals, right? They use scientific methods of testing, etc...

If we all used feelings to diagnose cars, we'd all be walking. Lol. I just don't understand how you can trust your "feelings" about what's happening to oil over scientific method, testing, etc...proven results. Quantifiable information. Versus feelings. Do you get what I'm saying?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 am
BigBro74 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:50 am I have a 2018 5.7 express truck, and mine is seeing a lot of highway miles for work and etc- most of the year. I have to admit I agree with the post about using good oil and filter- perhaps correct viscosity as well??. One thing that I have not agreed with is the Loooonnngg service interval if u use the oil change light.... many makes have gone to this - and I feel it doesn’t help——.
I have been using valvoline full synthetic and only running about 4000 miles or about 60% of the oil change indicator- right or wrong that has been my procedure. I love the truck!-J
You realize they don't use feelings to determine whether oil can go for extended drain intervals, right? They use scientific methods of testing, etc...

If we all used feelings to diagnose cars, we'd all be walking. Lol. I just don't understand how you can trust your "feelings" about what's happening to oil over scientific method, testing, etc...proven results. Quantifiable information. Versus feelings. Do you get what I'm saying?
Well so here is the deal as I see it— I use my experience as
A tech in an independent shop for many years —- not just my feelings— which I guess would fall under the heading of imperical data!! I have seen and worked on my share of newer vehicles that have VVT type setups where oil service interval/ dirty oil has thrown codes dealing with cam timing (especially gm) and have to repair / replace parts because of it.
I only believe that the long service interval is what the Manufacturer feels the can scrape by with to
HELP The J.D. Power ratings for cost of ownership etc. yes- experience has some feelings involved. If you want to leave your oil run 6500 miles you may do so, I chooses to service it more frequently. Will that help keep the valvetrain stay cleaner, longer? In my experience-yes.
Will it eliminate all possibility of lifter failure- no

——- we Change the oil in race cars very frequently, I don’t mind changing it in my 40k vehicle a little more often either😉
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Do the later hemi's have pushrod wear issues or is this an owner inflicted problem?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

BigBro74 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:26 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 am

Well so here is the deal as I see it— I use my experience as
A tech in an independent shop for many years —- not just my feelings— which I guess would fall under the heading of imperical data!! I have seen and worked on my share of newer vehicles that have VVT type setups where oil service interval/ dirty oil has thrown codes dealing with cam timing (especially gm) and have to repair / replace parts because of it.
I only believe that the long service interval is what the Manufacturer feels the can scrape by with to
HELP The J.D. Power ratings for cost of ownership etc. yes- experience has some feelings involved. If you want to leave your oil run 6500 miles you may do so, I chooses to service it more frequently. Will that help keep the valvetrain stay cleaner, longer? In my experience-yes.
Will it eliminate all possibility of lifter failure- no

——- we Change the oil in race cars very frequently, I don’t mind changing it in my 40k vehicle a little more often either😉
I was one of the first on the bandwagon for extended drain intervals with Amsoil...ran our 350 Cummins 100,000 between oil changes with filters swapped out at 25K.

Same with my car...7500 miles back in the early 80's.

Today it's different deal. Looking at all these tight clearance engines with hydraulic timing chain tensioners has talked me out of those extended drains. Seen too manys with sticky bits.

My Buick 3.8 gets changed every 3K with synthetic oil. My 278,000 mile Ram gets whatever I have laying around...usually straight 30W. My dually doesn't get enough use right now to change anything.

When those 'experts' start paying my repair is when I'd go back to those extended drain intervals with a modern engine.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Krooser wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 pmWhen those 'experts' start paying my repair is when I'd go back to those extended drain intervals with a modern engine.
Or take some oil samples and send 'em off to a lab. I do. My '03 Trailblazer gets a fresh oil filter at ~13K, oil topped off. Changed at 26K. About 240K on the engine now.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 pm
Krooser wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 pmWhen those 'experts' start paying my repair is when I'd go back to those extended drain intervals with a modern engine.
Or take some oil samples and send 'em off to a lab. I do. My '03 Trailblazer gets a fresh oil filter at ~13K, oil topped off. Changed at 26K. About 240K on the engine now.
Oil samples are great... how many regular folks ever heard of them? I used them for millions of miles when I owned my own trucks.

Your '03 isn't 'modern' anymore... I'm talking small 4 cylinders with turbos and other OHC engines. Amazing how much sludge and varnish these things can make. Plug up one tiny oil passage and you eat a timing chain and all the rest of the front of the engine.

The first time I saw this was on a Ford 4.6... our retired parts mgr. at the Ford store I worked at continued to use 10w40 oil in his wifes Crown Vic like he used in a 5.0.. 24,000 city miles and you could not see any of the valve train under all the sludge. Plugged up the oil galleries and she seized.

My grandson's 2.7 Ford turbo in his F150 did the same deal. Bought it used with 25,000 on it. Blew at 30k. Sludge city. He bought it because he found all the maintenance receipts in the glove box. Oil change every 5,000 miles. Didn't help much.

Tried to get it warranteed... no dice.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i dont believe in those extended intervals.people dont follow them anyways.if you tell them 5000 miles they go 8.seen too many black gooey engines.not to mention air filter service.use good oil and filter and change it at correct time.factories claim to test for a million miles or whatever and have problems in the real world.oil is cheap engines are not.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

solid lifter slant sixes were great engines till they went to hydraulics and emission controls
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

you always lost a little low end power when you set the valves