Moderator: Team

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Spring Tester that made life easier

Post by steve cowan »

C H A D,
With your spring tester,
How are you finding springs on a QC - consistency basis, it's like everything I suspect as in you get what you pay for,I don't want to go into brand bashing or anything like that but just curious
Oh and some one needs to fix it so we don't have to type in capital letters and spacings
For your name , unless you kinda like it :wink:
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

There can be a difference between brand names and some time by alot or a little depending on the springs.

Years ago we used to buy springs for sm blk street stuff in box's of 500 from a manufacture.
We tested every spring twice to be sure they would repeat and at times there was as much as 25-40 lbs variance which
allowed me to put them in sets for different builds. That was in the 80's and through the 90's and now I just get specific
sets for each engine. There can be a tolerance of 5lbs between springs in a set but after cycling in the tester 8-10 times
most seem to settle closer to each other that is for good quality spring sets.
No names but some sellers we will say are tragic others bang on the spec on the box.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm C H A D,
With your spring tester,
How are you finding springs on a QC - consistency basis, it's like everything I suspect as in you get what you pay for,I don't want to go into brand bashing or anything like that but just curious
Oh and some one needs to fix it so we don't have to type in capital letters and spacings
For your name , unless you kinda like it :wink:
As far as new springs, I only use PAC or PSI for the higher end builds or as an upgrade.

As far as a chrome silicone type, I only use K-Motion 300 wire.

These brands are usually tight per box of 16.

I do offer "street" style packages with the USA Erson kit, those springs are nice for that application.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Your observation of consistency in high end spring kits is what we pay for with these items,but as you have noted checking is still done to confirm our purchases.
When i bought my digital, a friend of mine who was looking after a formula V mentioned how on one track there was a difference going into the season on a particular back straight that was know for sorting wheat from chaff of vehicular speed variance.
Conversation turned to tune and setup and there should have been no difference but there was something like 2-4mph difference from the start of the season with a fresh bullet.
He came around with a big bag full of brand new OEM springs that were required by the formula, the variance was spectacular to say the least, three quarters did not even make std spec, out of the remainder i think we ended up with three or four sets that were marginally over spec,these were installed with a pickup in mph, what was also found was these springs would be lucky to stand up to a couple of meets, mid season spring changes became the norm.

I now have two print out testers to chose from, the Buxton looks to be a neck ahead in choice.

Cheers.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ProPower engines wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm There can be a difference between brand names and some time by alot or a little depending on the springs.

Years ago we used to buy springs for sm blk street stuff in box's of 500 from a manufacture.
We tested every spring twice to be sure they would repeat and at times there was as much as 25-40 lbs variance which
allowed me to put them in sets for different builds. That was in the 80's and through the 90's and now I just get specific
sets for each engine. There can be a tolerance of 5lbs between springs in a set but after cycling in the tester 8-10 times
most seem to settle closer to each other that is for good quality spring sets.
No names but some sellers we will say are tragic others bang on the spec on the box.
Dave,
If I remember correctly over the years you are a fan of ISKY, am I correct on that and I am not sure but did / do PSI springs manufacturer ISKY tool steel springs.
steve c
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

the more info the better.sweet setup.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

hoodeng wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:00 pm Your observation of consistency in high end spring kits is what we pay for with these items,but as you have noted checking is still done to confirm our purchases.
When i bought my digital, a friend of mine who was looking after a formula V mentioned how on one track there was a difference going into the season on a particular back straight that was know for sorting wheat from chaff of vehicular speed variance.
Conversation turned to tune and setup and there should have been no difference but there was something like 2-4mph difference from the start of the season with a fresh bullet.
He came around with a big bag full of brand new OEM springs that were required by the formula, the variance was spectacular to say the least, three quarters did not even make std spec, out of the remainder i think we ended up with three or four sets that were marginally over spec,these were installed with a pickup in mph, what was also found was these springs would be lucky to stand up to a couple of meets, mid season spring changes became the norm.

I now have two print out testers to chose from, the Buxton looks to be a neck ahead in choice.

Cheers.
Great information there, I don't work in the industry but one of the first special tools I bought was a RIMAC and I am on my second one now, I wonder how many guys like myself trying to learn by doing this stuff at home just fit the springs cause they fit type deal, unfortunately I think most of us just keep upping the spring rate to control the valve train with out considering pushrods,size of valves and weight, opening against compression as in exhaust valve, camshaft profile etc etc :?:
steve c
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Personally I will never ever have a tester hooked to a computer. Way over the top, IMO.

well if you look at the guy with the faulty oem valve springs , a paper trail can be helpfull , an ass covering exercise
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Well, from my experience if the load value at X height is low, so is the entire range.

In other words, when you loose 25lbs on the seat at the track, you replace the spring.

You go to the tester, and the entire load range is gone.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Curious. For many years I have prestressed new valve springs then rechecked and then installed. Is that anything you find worthwhile?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Given the lengthy S/T debate a while back on the correct spring poundage terminology, it's distressing to see a top line company labelling the values as pressures... :shock:

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm This made my life so much easier so I want to share it. Takes all of 5 minutes to check all 16 springs. Enter install height and lift. Spits out coil bind and pressure at install and open. There are a few option for come up with whatever your looking for. Not cheap. But simply amazing.

Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

MadBill wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:18 pm Given the lengthy S/T debate a while back on the correct spring poundage terminology, it's distressing to see a top line company labelling the values as pressures... :shock:

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm This made my life so much easier so I want to share it. Takes all of 5 minutes to check all 16 springs. Enter install height and lift. Spits out coil bind and pressure at install and open. There are a few option for come up with whatever your looking for. Not cheap. But simply amazing.

So what should that value be called?

POUNDAGE?
FORCE POUNDS?
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

On my performance trends tester they call it "force, lb".

Right? Wrong? Do I care? No.

For the last 50 years or so,if a guy says he has 195 pounds of seat pressure and 550 pounds of nose pressure, I think I know what he means.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Is the digital Buxton is programmable? Can user choose from a menu of unit: pounds or kilograms, inches or millimeters?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Spring load.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST