More budget SBC stuff

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980Buick
More budget SBC stuff

Post by 1980Buick »

I had a complete '74 350 fall into my.lap from a dump truck. Claimed to have less than 30k miles. My buddy yanked it out for a Duramax swap so lucky me!

I am planning on throwing this in my 58 Chevy longbed truck. It's set up with a 9" but I will be changing the gears from 4.11 to 3:1 for cruising

Typical budget build. Import heads. Not sure on intake size 185 or 195cc???

When it comes to cams I have two questions:
1) is it worth spending more on heads and staying flat tappet vs cheap heads with a hydraulic roller?

2) if so is it worth going solid flat tappet over hydraulic?

I was eyeballing something like the Comp XS256 as an example.

The current engine is a 283 with a way too big 244 @ .50 Howard's SFT. Mismatched on paper but beat up a lot of local 350s turning 7500 so at 19 it was fun. This time it will be more of a cruiser than a street racer. I have kids now!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: More budget SBC stuff

Post by BOOT »

Smaller runner cause you wanna cruise, lots will say solid lifters are better and they are if you don't mind adjusting your valvetrain often but cruiser. People will also say get as much comp as pump gas will tolerate. blah blah blah zinc oil cam failure, if your good at breaking in cams and if not go roller.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you are "cruzin" (indicates 30 to 50 mph driving) why bother swapping gears.
If it has import hi perf heads get a suitable streetable flat tappet sold or hyd cam that fits the purpose.
Trans, converter?
If you don't want to change this pick a cam that works with what you got..
If you are primaily street city "cruzin" leave the gears in...
Could just fix the 283 with a suitable cam matched for purpose "cruzin".
Cams are cheap and make or break the purpose.
New 283 street cruizer cam can be hyd or solid type.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I would go with the 185 and the 256 hyd flat with a 1.65 intake rocker it has more duration a .050 and the same at .200 as the 258 hyd roller has. I am not a fan of solid flat cams and I don't think you would gain enough to make it worth while, maybe it you were turning it 7000.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

"When it comes to cams I have two questions:
1) is it worth spending more on heads and staying flat tappet vs cheap heads with a hydraulic roller?

2) if so is it worth going solid flat tappet over hydraulic?"

I'd spend the money on good heads.
I'd spend the money on a hyd roller over a hyd flat tappet if the budget allows but the flatty will be ok with what your doing.
Transmission choice will help dictate the gear choice. In the 3.23-3.73 range is nice for a cruiser that will see a combo of street/highway scenerios.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Why waste money on aluminum heads?

Get a $60 Summit cam... KB pistons on stock or powdered metal LT 1 rods, maybe Vortec heads. Find a used dual plane intake. Usually $75 or less in the FB marketplace pages.

A good pocket port on the heads, 5 angle valve job will help.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Budget summit cam + lifter set gets er done for cruzin.
SUM-K00172
274-274. 218-218 106 102/110 .450" .450"
Street machine idle lots of midrange power.

Instead of throwing money away on heads give it a strong street visual statement with a cool unusual induction system. And or maybe 180 degree headers. Lots of room on a pickup truck for that.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:32 pm Budget summit cam + lifter set gets er done for cruzin.
SUM-K00172
Works decent with low comp too.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

BOOT wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:33 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:32 pm Budget summit cam + lifter set gets er done for cruzin.
SUM-K00172
Works decent with low comp too.
Yes and with 10:1 cr using budget home ported chevy small chamber heads #4416, 113, 081, 083 ,217 462 etc
On the 283 or the 350.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

How about converting a TPI induction system to carburation.
Use the base manifold and TPI runners.
Ditch the plenum. Ditch the injectors. Ditch the egr and IAC. Make a custom built carb plenum that bolts to the TPI runners, has a internal shape form that directs the air and directs the fuel from carbs to the 8 runners equally.
Custom plenum top... 2x2 bbls. 3x2 bbls. 2x4 bbls.
Etc etc.
Big mid range torque- long tuned length induction runners with high velocity. The tall pickup hood line allows for a tall induction system.
Carb plenum could be heated to aid vapourization and fuel distribution.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:08 pm How about converting a TPI induction system to carburation.
Use the base manifold and TPI runners.
Ditch the plenum. Ditch the injectors. Ditch the egr and IAC. Make a custom built carb plenum that bolts to the TPI runners, has a internal shape form that directs the air and directs the fuel from carbs to the 8 runners equally.
Custom plenum top... 2x2 bbls. 3x2 bbls. 2x4 bbls.
Etc etc.
Big mid range torque- long tuned length induction runners with high velocity. The tall pickup hood line allows for a tall induction system.
Carb plenum could be heated to aid vapourization and fuel distribution.
Those runners were never designed for wet flow, though. You think it'll still work well enough once fuel is introduced to be worthwhile? Plus that seems like it sorts of ignores the budget constraint. Especially if you don't already have the machinery, material, and extra parts laying around as well as the ability to fabricate it. IMHO, without all that, it's not even close to being a budget modification. It wouldn't be cheap to have that made somewhere, it sounds like.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With the right custom plenum internal shape the air fuel will go to the 8 tuned runners very nicely.
The sbc 305-350 TPI base manifold and runners can be picked up for a song. Carbs are cheap. Yes this can be done on a strick budget. The tall pickup hood line allows you to be creative with induction.
Wood is a great prototype fabrication material.
The plenum could be made of 2K epoxy (or Por51) coated wood.
The TPI runners could bolt on to a sub plenum with 90° curved runner extensions so the 8 runners meet the underside of the carb plenum box similar to a tunnel rams plenum. Now the 8 runner entrances are directly under the carbs. The internal contour shape of the carb plenum box is your lil secret.
Could even employ my Six Shooter 6V 2X Qjet carb scheme on top. Or 2x2bbls or......
Big low-mid range rpm torque boost to 4500 rpm.
Just right for street "cruzin"
1980Buick

Post by 1980Buick »

I guess I'll throw more info out. I have some long stretches of 70mph freeway around me so that is why I am choosing to swap to 3:1 gears. I want to be able to drive the thing around.

The 350 is a good running engine and dirt cheap. The 283 has been sitting since '05 so I am not exactly sure how it's held up. It sat with out dist and carb but I tried my best to seal it off.

As for transmission I have everything needed to run a Saginaw or Muncie 4 speed in the truck now. I also have another buddy offering a used th350 for $50. I would need cooler, shifter, converter if I went that route though so I am unsure of which way to go.

I was looking at either Flotek or Promaxx heads. Both have a 180cc offering.

I just want a cam that will allow the motor to do it's best with the 3:1 gears. Don't really care if it chops or not.

Also truck is manual steering and brakes so no real vacuum concerns either.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The stock 350 camshaft will work very well for 70 mph cruzin with 3.00:1 gearz
A stock 350 sbc cam will do a great job in the 283 for that too.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Get yourself a set of Trick Flow Camel Humps. They're aluminum and move a good amount of air for no more than they are (258 CFM at .500" lift), with a 175 cc intake port. They have a 60 cc chamber with 2.02 valves, and springs good for .540" lift. They can be had with or without the bolt holes. About $700 a piece. And no I don't work for Trick Flow. Lol.

With the Summit cam that F-Bird'88 suggested, it would be a strong performer.