rod stretch and ways to minimize it

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: rod stretch and ways to minimize it

Post by David Vizard »

peejay wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm If you want to fight stretch, find a way to make the piston lighter, since that is what is stretching the rod.

Some days I wonder what it would be like to have a carbon composite piston that had a stainless steel deck on top, maybe Inconel, to take combustion heat. Should be pretty cheap right? It would have to be a metal that had a very high heat resistance since it wouldn't transfer very much through the skirt.
peejay's comment:- If you want to fight stretch, find a way to make the piston lighter, since that is what is stretching the rod.

When teaching an engine building class I always stress the need for a piston/pin combo that is not needlessly heavy. If you look through enough piston catalogs you can often find pistons as much as 25 grams below the norm. Add to the fact that stock pins are almost alway excessively overweight and you can see a direct route to a weight saving of 50 to 75 grams.

At present I am in the midst of testing my own composite pin. For a penalty of about 5 grams extra weight they are the same strength as a Ti pin but I can make a set of 8 for slightly less than the price of two TI pins.

Peejay - you brought up the subject of composite pistons. Back at the turn of the century I was heavily involved in the research and production of Carbon/carbon pistons ultimately destined for Cosworth.

There were a great many issues that had to be addressed. For instance the Carbon/carbon composite had a very low thermal expansion rate - far lower in fact than the block. This meant that when cold the pistons were an interference fit in the bores. Before starting the engine it had to be warmed to about 200 F before it would crank sufficiently easily.

Because the piston to cylinder wall clearance was so small dimensional stability at temperature and rpm was critical. Although having no rings and virtually zero clearance worked it was still subject to blowby. The goal here was zero blowby. I solved this problem with a ringless piston design that acted as if it had rings.

As a matter of interest the thermal characteristics were such that no metal heat shield on the crown was necessary . The material could withstand something like 3500 F.

The weight of a finished F1 piston was half of that of a conventional one. The cost was equally impressive if you like big numbers. The production of the first piston was well over $150,000. That price would have dropped significantly if the pistons had been ordered in quantity. I felt that meeting Cosworths demand we could produce these pistons for between $15,000 - $20,000 apiece. Just as an aside here we also made some valves.

I had to build a super accurate dyno to test these in a single cylinder test motor that emulated the valve train of the then current Cosworth F1 engines. I also made a cup car intake valve and spun it. What this 29 gram valve could do was amazing - but maybe that is a subject for my column that Mike will be introducing soon.

Another problem that plagued the initial designs was delamination. Fortunately part of the research team was a guy by the name of Burt Northam.

At the time Burt was a just retired NASA rocket motor scientist. When you watch a space launch using a NASA sourced/designed launch vehicle it is about 80% likely that it is one of Burt's designs getting the job done. Among many other things he pioneered super sonic combustion in rocket motors and that increased their capability by a very useful margin. So Burt applied his 180 plus IQ to the delamination problem and solved it. Now we were getting somewhere. Then the whole project came to a blindingly fast stop. The reason - and this is how I heard it - the cost was so high and the FIA got wind of what we were doing and banned it. How close that is/was to reality I cannot say for sure. I was being paid good money for my work on this so a cancelation of the project was not to my benefit here. But to be honest it was not just about the money - this was exciting stuff with an F1 type budget attached!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 am Since your doing head work with DV on 289 heads which I will assume your using , then tell us how high you see yourself reving this motor and also if the stock stroke will be changed?

Ford SB Rods are so short and stiff ( in a good way) that a aftermarket Rod used in a build going to 8000 rpm would have me far less concerned then many other motors spinning to that same rpm!

Just remember that a factory block will not live too long at 500 hp and even 7000 rpm!
Not related to the 289, just a general question i had, have some guys running clearance in the .015-.02 range and not showing problems that ive been seeing. Just trying to see how they might be achieving it. Stock v8 dirt car. Spinning around 6000 rpm though
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am
modok wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:52 am I don't really see why it's a problem. All the other parts flexing and rocking might be problems, but the rod stretching? That's more stroke man, It causes no friction.
I'd say it's a benefit :wink:
If that was the case, every PS engine would run aluminum rods.

Yup. You can never account for how much the rod will stretch with every cycle, and aluminum makes it worse.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The Iron Icon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm So just a thought I was having after going thru some technical info is the effect of rod material and other factors on the amount of stretch you get so you can figure min. piston to head clearance.

1. Is there something better to use as a material other than steel,TI, or aluminum that will still have a signifigant life span(cost being no object)

2. how about pin offset, would that bring about more stretch into another direction even though its miniscule?

3. Tired of my off the wall topics?
Are you speaking in code to reference axial torsion/bending at the big and small ends?

Ask DV if he recalls/knows the first time Cosworth used H-beams in the DFV. Just curious, that's all.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:08 pm
The E Modulus of a material will determine its tensile strength. Virtually all steels have very similar E Mod numbers (30,000,000). To increase tensile it would be necessary to increase the cross sectional area of the rod. But that would also increase the rod weight and consequent loading on the rod bearing at higher rpms. A lighter piston is the obvious solution.

A short stroke engine will allow higher rpms without creating higher loads on the rod and bearings.
Elastic modulus is not the determining factor for tensile strength. As you stated, the modulus for mostly every steel, stainless steel, and even nickel super alloy that I have seen is in the 29-30 million psi range. However, the tensile strength across that spectrum of materials varies wildly, from 30,000 to ~200,000 psi.. almost an order of magnitude.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

GRTfast wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:46 pm
David Redszus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:08 pm
The E Modulus of a material will determine its tensile strength. Virtually all steels have very similar E Mod numbers (30,000,000). To increase tensile it would be necessary to increase the cross sectional area of the rod. But that would also increase the rod weight and consequent loading on the rod bearing at higher rpms. A lighter piston is the obvious solution.

A short stroke engine will allow higher rpms without creating higher loads on the rod and bearings.
Elastic modulus is not the determining factor for tensile strength. As you stated, the modulus for mostly every steel, stainless steel, and even nickel super alloy that I have seen is in the 29-30 million psi range. However, the tensile strength across that spectrum of materials varies wildly, from 30,000 to ~200,000 psi.. almost an order of magnitude.
Pretty sure he just meant stretch.

It matters because if there's less stretch then the squish is more optimum over a wider rpm instead of just at peak rpm.

Piston rock is probably atleast as big an issue ? I know they are supposed to heat up to be be perfect but does this really happen on the average stuff where no clearance studies are done everything is generic, skirt profiles not optimised etc

Is temperature a significant ? Perhaps on alloy block ? Steel rod and iron block are they going to operate at similar temps therefore stretch the same ?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I guess based on cylinder pressure in the vicinity of TDC compression, one could calculate how much more stretch occurs on the exhaust stroke. Could be enough different that the combustion-optimum static squish is a negative number. Two stroke data might be illuminating... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Lets say you find a materiel with the same strength/weight and HALF the elastic modulus of steel, and make the beam of the rod out of that.
Now you can run the piston a whole .004" closer to the head. You would not even notice the difference.
You must have an exadurated idea of how much it flexes.

As far as the small end, steel pin in a steel rod is very happy little combination, would be a shame to mess with that.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

modok wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:04 am Lets say you find a materiel with the same strength/weight and HALF the elastic modulus of steel, and make the beam of the rod out of that.
Now you can run the piston a whole .004" closer to the head. You would not even notice the difference.
You must have an exadurated idea of how much it flexes.

As far as the small end, steel pin in a steel rod is very happy little combination, would be a shame to mess with that.
There are no steels with a low elastic modulus, although some can be found with a lower tensile. The critical factor is the % elongation as the tensile limit is approached.

Titanium has an E modulus that is about half that of steel, with a commensurate reduction in tensile and increase in elongation. Aluminum has an E modulus of one third that of steel, also with a reduction in tensile and increased elongation. Elongation of steels are typically about 10%, while elongation of titanium and aluminum typically runs from 10 to 25%.

Obviously, it is possible to calibrate the expected stretch by design alteration for any given material.
Reduce the rod cross sectional area until it breaks or bounces off the head, then add a little more material. :)
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Tungsten Carbide can have a Young's Modulus that's more than triple that of steel, but it's also nearly twice as dense and has other drawbacks in such an app...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

yeah got it backward but you know what i mean, right? If the overall rod was "half as elastic" Which is about the best you could expect, what is the actual gain?
No argument about the .004"?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I think the Cosworth that David worked on exceeded 20k rpm. I would think that small differences in elasticity would have a discernible effect on cycle to cycle combustion kinetics.

Iron Icon: what are your thoughts on piston guided rods?
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

[/quote]

Not related to the 289, just a general question i had, have some guys running clearance in the .015-.02 range and not showing problems that ive been seeing. Just trying to see how they might be achieving it. Stock v8 dirt car. Spinning around 6000 rpm though
[/quote]

I'd say that those running .015 have figured out how to keep the rod stretch to a minimum---it's called a cylinder head.