engine bangs on starting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
engine bangs on starting

Post by chevy art »

do i need a box to retard the timing at startup even though my distributor IS NOT locked at full advance. i run a total of 38 degrees in my mallory supercomp 9000 distributor and the full advance is in by around 3000 rpms. compression is at 14,7 to 1.. just added new HD starter but have not started it up yet, cant see why i would need this box, but i will definitely add one is the members tell me that i should have on in the car. thank you Art in NY
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: engine bangs on starting

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If its the full size gm starter be sure the rear starter brace bracket is installed. If missing wait and get one.
The 2 starter bolts are not enough.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I had a start retard box and it made the starter grind and sound terrible. I have not had much luck with aftermarket starters either. I have a 13 -1 555 BBC and i use a stock 96 - 98 vortec starter (the small one). It starts like a dream. My timing is locked at 38. I have the ignition on a switch and i get the motor cranking, pump it a couple times and throw the switch. I only need to do this when the motor is hot. When its cold i just leave the switch on.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thannks guys. hey f-bird. i always have used that small bracket in rear of the full size starters. wouldnt leave home without one. i will certainly try cranking starter and then turning on the ignition box. that makes sense. art